FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Advance Wars 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Advance Wars 2 Reply with quote

I'm a massive fan of the advance wars games, going back to the snes versions. With the first gameboy advance release, I really thought they had perfected the game. The same formula as ever, but with really polished graphics, animated battles and fun characters. A near perfect balance of units.

I've been playing advance wars 2 now since it came out on and off. Whilst I've had a lot of fun, I can't help thinking I enjoyed the first one better. The problem (for me) is that every time you start a mission now, you start with no units and some factories. Advance Wars 1 would (I think almost every time) start with some units, and many levels didn't even have factories on them.

This means that the start of every mission involves creating troopers and trying to capture as many cities as possible. Not bad once or twice, but it gets tedious. Knowing you'll have to do the same thing again if you get beaten is a real pain too.

What was good (or what was an improvement on advance wars 1)

New COs - nice to have a wider range of characters, and their CO powers are all interesting.

The Neo tank, works well but I'd have liked to have seen more units.

Black hole now have their own units, a cosmetic change but they look 'nice and evil' now which is great.

What wasn't so good

Every round starts with no units deployed -as mentioned above.

New terrain types: volcano/pipes/lasers/battle cannons - I just found these made the level dull. You spend a lot of your time making sure your units aren't deployed on 'danger tiles'. Zooming round the map trying to line up the cursor with your units to see if the laser would take them out, or counting squares from the volcano and battle cannons.

I'd say if you are thinking of getting this game then you are better off picking up the first one, especially if you just want a good single player experience. Right, 'Fire Emblem' next I think...
Crimson_Knight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Advance Wars is awesome, even if I started getting into it a little more recently than you did (my introduction was with the first Advance Wars). As you can guess by my avatar, Eagle's my favorite CO. Advance Wars 2 is even more awesome. I actually don't mind having more stages where you build up from scratch: it makes it easier to make up an army of your preferred units (who needs artillery and submarines when you have mass bombers!). My one major gripe: the campaign is so annoyingly hard!!! Hell, I beat the Advance campaign on the first game without too much trouble; just beating the second game was torture. I still hate the final stage with a passion... *shudders* Well, that, and the fact that both Hawke and Sturm (Sturm especially!) are unfairly strong without any weaknesses; that's another reason I don't like the final stage.
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. About AW2 gripes:

Alot of levels start off with pre-deployments; few, if any on the Orange Moon campaign, but later on, there's a decent amount(although there are factories on almost all maps).

Also, for the deadly terrain types, all of them have an option(I think it's clicking the B button) that automatically fills the screen with their range of attack(the squares they can hit turn red).

Fire Emblem tip: you lose all of your stuff on battle 11, so be sure to use it all before then!(This was quite upsetting to learn). Also be wary of the erratic "random" functions on this game-- it turns alot of awesome battle strategies into moronic-looking blunders(even if the odds are heavily stacked in your favor).
starscape junkie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire Emblem is a pretty good game, ive enjoyed it so far.(the level 11 thing was annoying)

The sad thing is that the game isnt that random, if you restart and try it the same way, theres a 95% chance youll have the same outcome. Its an interesting game, as at first glance it is fairly simple, but the stratedgy becomes extremely complex.

My only gripe is the multiplayer, they may as well have not put it in, imho. The multiplayer consists of selecting which opponent you want to attack. No healing, no double action, very little stratedgy involved. I cannot beleive that they took out what could have possibly been a great multiplayer experience.
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the randomness thing, worst example I experienced(even when restarting the battle!): On one of the early battles, I had a unit with a 90% chance to hit an enemy(flying one) do a surgical strike to kill an opponent that only had a 40% chance to hit her. EVERY attempt to do this resulted the same: She'd miss(!), and then one of the two units in the region would run up and critical hit her(despite only 40% chance to hit!). The critical hit would wound her, and then she'd get picked off by some little long-ranged unit that would normally be unable to end her life.

After the fourth or fifth time of this relatively safe(my 90% chance to hit, instant-death for the enemy selected(more damage than he had hp) manuever ending in repeated failure, I gave up and did the lame "This unit is very large and will hurt you" method of slowly killing enemies as it travelled down one side with minimal support. (Healing/flank guards). This worked, but was terribly disappointing.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing through Hard mode in AW2 at the moment. I'm only a few battles in, but for some reason it seems more fun right now - Maybe because there's not been a lot of factory taking/unit building yet, but the levels are actually a bit challenging. Still, can't deny, there's a ton of replayability in it. I've almost played all the War Room maps, but when it looks like I'm about done a few more seem to pop up in the Battlemaps room!
RentACop

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Advance Wars, but Advance Wars 2 felt to much like an add-on pack and I got bored pretty quickly.

Fire Emblem is great, but I always feel like I'm doing something wrong. Nonetheless, I totally maxed-out Lyndis, she can now cut down half an army without taking a scratch.
RentACop

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the way Fire Emblem calculates moves and attacks means you'll get the same result every time, even if it says 90% it's already calculated whether you'll hit or miss and replaying the turn won't change anything.

That's not to say every games the same, but it does mean you can't do the old "replay until a critical" dealy.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arggh! I ended up not starting Fire Emblem, I started playing Advance Wars 2 hard campaign Rolling Eyes

There's just not enough time in the day to play games, and it's so important to make time in this industry, otherwise you forget what's fun about it Very Happy
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Er, what I was saying was that, in fact, I was experiencing the same calculations in every game, despite them supposedly being weighed heavily in my favor.)
RentACop

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. It's just that I've heard people in other forums complain that no matter how many times they re-did the turn the results were the same, and I assumed that's what you meant.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Fire Emblem, it's on it's way to the cube:

http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=064dae74-388d-44f3-a005-d210477b5571&
HunterXI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, of course, am also Addicted to the Advance Wars series (Although I never knew that it was on the SNES! Tell me more, dear Fost!). Just look at my Siggie! I always play as Hawke, and he's actually not that great. He does have a weakness, btw.

However, I am left wondering how you people liked Advance Wars 1 Better. Advance Wars 2 introduced so much - new strategy elements, namely. It had better, cleaner graphics as well, and the Neotank can be a nice addition when you have a little monetary surplus.

The big bonus was the new music - you went from like 3 boring songs in AW1 to maybe 30 good songs, and this time, the songs really set the mood. Btw, if you own the game and dont have the Sound room, get it ASAP!

The only thing I disliked about AW2 were mainly balance issues, and specific level issues.

Balance issue-wise, when you are playing in any map that provides either little money or tons, Colin ALWAYS wins, no matter what. His Power is too good (2 stars to increase funds by 1.5x), especially when you have lots or no money, and if you have lots of money, god help your opponents when you have your Super power (6 stars). Despite his units being weaker, cheaper deployment costs make them, well, cheap, and his super power, which can easily make them the most powerful in the game (999% damage can be attained with Colin, and a rigged map, of course), better than Kanbei's. Oh, and Jess is actually a very fun, well balanced character.

Level Specific, the list goes on. Forest Walk, All of Green Earth, Most of the Lab Map levels, etc.

Actually, I think that the biggest improvement isn't actually an improvement, but rather not making the same mistake: Making the campaign too hard. In AW1, The game was so hard, it was almost unplayable. I couldn't beat it. But this game, I can beat the Campaign (Well, the regular one, at any rate; the Advance Campaign pwnz me), which makes me much happier, even though I have a dodgy tactic in the last level...

oh, and a random thing about Hawke: He only seems hard because the levels are tipped in his favor, not because he is part of special AI code. He can make blunder after blunder after blunder, and not lose. But really taking advantage of him as a playable character requires a good level with allies, lots of units, and straight-forward confrontation. Otherwise, he's as good as Andy, and that isn't saying anything special (his troops are only 1/10th or so better, which isn't very much, and if the 2nd and 3rd things aren't present, his power isn't any good.

Now Sturm... No comment. (kudos to he who can figure out the name's influence, my guesses are from "Exterminate", which is pronounced the same, and the word "Storm".

But yeah, I guessed what ended up happening between Hawke and Sturm (in the end of the game), before I actually saw the end! Isn't that cool? Guess Hawke's just that kinda guy.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Oh, and Fost, I believe you forgot Nell and Hachi ther- Er wait, did I just answer that myself?
James

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HunterXI wrote:
I, of course, am also Addicted to the Advance Wars series (Although I never knew that it was on the SNES! Tell me more, dear Fost!)

There was Famicom Wars on the NES, Super Famicom Wars on the SNES and Gameboy Wars on the original Gameboy, plus Gameboy Wars 2 and 3 for the Gameboy Color. They were all Japan-only releases, though (as you can probably tell from some of the names).
HunterXI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Japanese releases? No wonder Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: