FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Best RTS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That idea is on the table but I haven't implemented it yet. Artillery will definitely have to dig in before they can fire, i'm not sure about other units yet.
siirenias

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeworld 2 is a very nice 3d space strategy game. Neat story. I also suggest taking a look at the HW2 mod Point Defense Systems, found here: http://penguin-mayhem.net/pds/
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zwzsg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best RTS is not Total Annihilation any more but Spring, whose first public beta was released a few days ago.
Kythorak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zwzsg wrote:
Best RTS is not Total Annihilation any more but Spring, whose first public beta was released a few days ago.

Oh. My. ****. Gawd.

*twitch*

Hooray for having TA installed. Shocked
Harabek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new games of interest?
Harabek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I get the new Age of Empires game?
Hamish
Pod Developer
Pod Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new AOE game is very polished and has very nice graphics, you should get it if you enjoy histortically themed games / the other AOE games. I couldn't get into it because all of the units seemed very plain and generic, most of the strategy seems to be about choosing what to upgrade at your base. But this seems no different than the other games in the series, if you like them you won't be dissapointed.
HEL 9000

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i own a SC & Broods EXP battle chest with strategy guide! its the best RTS EVER!

no seriously... Blizzard Entertainment's StarCraft: Brood War (i dont care all that much for non-expansion) is THE BEST RTS TO EXIST (and that is NOT an exagerated comment and itll probably remain titled best rts for a VERY LONG TIME

ive tried warcraft a few times, i dont really like any of those games...

and Age of Empires, ive played the "#2" game (Age of Kings) its pretty fun, its better for player against player games than starcraft, though.

and Total Annihilation... that one I personally, would say almost earned the "BEST RTS" title, but starcraft still beat it by a good margin.

hmm... Command & Conquer... i havent even played the RTS's in that series, but let me tell you: Get C&C Renegade (a First Person Shooter game, install it, get patches, and download GameSpy Arcade, play a "Marathon" multiplayer team-based game server, you have an EXCEEDINGLY AWESOME team-based FPS, (ESPECIALLY IF YOU PLAY A MAP WITH THE "mapname_Flying.C&C" tag, because you can use Apache Assault Helicopters (Brotherhood of Nod) and a Transport Copter, and Orca Assault Craft VTOL (Global Defense Initiative) and a Transport Copter
SethP

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Command and Conquer games are really worth your time, especially if you're a fan of Starcraft. Even more so now that you can get the whole collection for $20(ish) at wal-mart.

They probably won't change your opinion about the best RTS, but they are a lot of fun to play.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have bought Supreme commander. But I decided on F.E.A.R instead. I'm more of an FPS guy.
SethP

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supreme Commander was fun in that it allowed you to basically set up a non-ending stream of units to the front lines, which made for some pretty epic looking battles. On the other hand, your opponent could easily do the same, so your epic battles were usually very long epic battles.

Disclaimer: I only played the demo version.
JessIAm

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harabek wrote:
How does Warcraft 3 stand up to the others? (I havn't played any.) Sad And, on the older games like TA and Z would I have any trouble getting them to work on XP?

As for CC, if I can't handle generals, what other of its many expansions should I try?

What makes or breaks an RTS for me is pretty much one issue: can I control my troops and buildings with limited micromanagement. Two good examples of the right way to do things is Warcraft 3, and TA/Supreme Commander

Warcraft 3
Here are some things that make Warcraft 3 pretty good in this respect.
1) Units and Buildings can be hot keyed to any number key. Hot keying buildings is important - if I see I'm loosing all my archers, I can press a number and start producing replacement troops immediately. I'll have some troops ready when I retreat. Warcraft 3 allows you to hot key different buildings (i.e. a barracks, a stable, and griffin tower can all be under the same hot key). Here's how I set up my units and buildings. I've found it gives me the best control for any situation.
Hot key Type
1 Any troops restricted to ground combat
2 Ranged troops
3 Troops with special abilities (i.e. magic)
8 Any building that produces troops, or does research
9 Upgradeable buildings (i.e. The main tree for night elves, the town hall for humans)
0 One building unit, which is always in my main base.

2) Coordinated unit movement. Units in Warcraft 3 make a formation before they start moving. When they get to a battle, you don't have to set them up first.
In Starcraft, when you told a group to move, they moved in single file. When they arrived, if the enemy could kill one unit at a time quickly, you lost half your force just getting them into battle. You could stage your forces first, but that requires a lot more micromanagement.

3) Resource spending. In Warcraft 3, resources are allocated for production as soon as the command is given. In Starcraft, you could give a command to a building unit, then start a bunch of unit production, then find the building unit didn't have resources to carry out the command you just gave. That doesn't happen in Warcraft 3.

4) Unit producing buildings can queue production.

TA/ Supreme Commander
I think TA will work on XP, but why play TA when Supreme Commander just came out?

Almost everything that makes TA good is also available in Supreme Commander. SupC has some improvements. I don't think any RTS approaches SupC for ease of troop command. Supreme Commander was written to allow the player to efficiently lead epic numbers of troops (literally hundreds of troops and buildings). I haven't experimented with building control much, because I haven't played the game as much as I want to.
1) You can give a factory movement commands (like move to this location, then patrol between these points), and the units created at the factory will automatically perform those commands.
2) You can tell your transports to pick up any unit in an area, and drop them off in a specified area. From that point on, the transports will automatically start doing that, with out any further direction from the user.

One thing TA had thats missing from SupC: you could hot key a factory, and then all units produced at that factory had the same hot key.

Further Thoughts:
I love creating a base, producing and army, and leading troops into battle, but I hate having to micromanage all of these activities at the same time. The RTS's I spend money on all have this in common: they give me control of my base and troops, but make control easy.

I'll play a mediocre RTS to finish a good storyline (Don't include love interests in the storyline). I'll play the RTS more than once if it's a good game.
Pezhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... as far as Warcraft 3 goes.... really good players have a fairly decent grasp of micromanagent. If you ever watch professional replays.... heh.. INSANE micromanagent. It doesnt look like it persay, but In actuality, the APM's of a Professional Warcraft 3 player easily exceed and average of 200.
For those of you who don't know, APM's are "actions per minute" a single action being, the process of selecting a single unit, and moving it or telling it to do something. Warcraft 3 is highly Micro based, IE if you have two groups of units, one being ranged and one being melee, a basic micro stategy is to micro your melee units so they block off the opponents melee units from getting to your ranged units. Its not as simple as just placing them in a line in front, you can use maybe 2 or 3 and just constantly move them in front of the enemy melee units. This gives your ranged units a chance to constantly deal more DMG. (note this is just a general strat)

I have played nearly three dozen RTS games, starting with Dark Reign and Warcraft 1 up to the more recent games like Medieval 2 and Tiberian Wars.

RTS games you like are based on personal preference. If you like games based a LOT on Micromanagement, play games like warcraft 3 and Starcraft. If you are interested in teching or drawn out games, Play games like Battle For Middle Earth 2 or Age of Empires 2/3 and if you like MASSIVE games, the total war series is for you.

Rome:Total War is in fact my personal favorite game, despite the recent apearence of Medieval 2. These games combine Large scale echonomic and diplomatic managemetn (on a turn based continent map) with full scale battles of up to 50,000 units, in battles that are just that, BATTLES, no harvesting, no managing worker units, no building structures (this is all managed on the world map)
In order to manage these large numbers, Total War contains perhaps the best formation system of ANY game series. Well known for realism, the total war series has been a solid name among RTS games.

This is all based on my own opinions however.
JessIAm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we agree Pezhead. I was discussing more of the micro managing features built into the big RTS games. One thing I loved about the Warcraft series was how they kept improving the management interface. I loved how Starcraft let me group units, but I didn't like that I had to drop the unit selection to give any instructions to a specific unit in that group. I love how Warcraft III takes groups identification/selection even further by allowing me to select individual unit types within the group, while still having the group selected.
Pezhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formations in WC3 are however... sadly lacking in complexity and in practicality. When you tell your units to attack... they inevitably BREAK formation. I have found that they are of little to know use in actual combat, tho they are great for organizing your troops before or after. I have observed that starcraft 2 may have better formation commands. We shall see....

NOTE: I am not saying WC3 is a bad game, In fact, at the moment, its basically all I can play as my PC had to be trashed and I dont have the money for another one yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: