FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Best RTS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find a game on amazon, you can always check the other stores.

If you still can't find it, use E-bay.
Harabek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is TA:Kingdoms?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The follow up to to TA, a fantasy RTS game that was a total flop and bankrupted the development company Cavedog.

Nice idea though, it tried to add a story to the game in a similar way to Starcraft but deeper. It made the mistake of forcing you to switch sides regularly between 4 races (i think it was 4) as the story unwound. Problem was, just as you got the hang of one race's units you would be switched into another race and start from scratch again.

The game isn't really that bad, just was missing that elusive fun element of TA and was too similar to WarCraft I think.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best RTS ever:

HOMEWORLD
RentACop

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... lessee,

Warcraft III:
Personally I found the quasi-rpg style pretty boring, but most people love it.

Age of Empires/Age of Mythology:
My favorites. Age of Mythology offers a single character-based campaign as opposed to Age of Empires 2's set of shorter semi-historical campaigns. AoM is also less complex once you understand the abilities of your myth units.

C&C Generals:
Nothing to special other than the (to a degree) real-world units and good graphics. Still, it punched all my "fun" buttons, and it's hella fun to unleash a Scud Storm. The expansion adds generals to each side that act like the CO's in Advance Wars.

Lords of Everquest:
Really, really basic. Only one resource (plat) and the genric hooplah you'd see in any other RTS. Does have a hero system, and it is kinda cool to watch armies of the critters you camped in Everquest hammer at each other.

Homeworlds:
These are pretty good, even though it's pretty similar to other RTS with a Z-axis thrown in, I loved the ship-to-ship combat and the graphics are excellent.

Myth/Myth2:
Rarely mentioned, these are excellent tactical RTS's. There's no resources, the units you start with are the ones you have for the rest of the level (though oftentimes completeing certain objectives allows for reinforcements) . This places a much larger emphasis on tactics than pretty much every other RTS, terrain elevation, choke points , formations and unit cohesion are essential for success.

TA/TA:K
TA has a gazillion units. For every unit there's almost always 2 others of a different movement type that do the exact same thing. TA:K is fun, but the fantasy setting isn't very exciting.

Starcraft:
kekekekekekekekekekekekeke
Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't acctuly mean to "troll" or "flame bait" [not that im an exspert on such things]

Ive pritty much played every RTS[atleast once], i bought Age of Mythology, infact i resently installed it again.

Basicly most RTS's get boreing after a short time, star-craft:BW was fun but only because it has UMS *grin*, War-craft 1-2 i played both couldn't see the fuss about either, TA i played it multi player a few times, got owned by a mate of mine [lan] about 10 times needless too say i lost interest, AoE/AoE2 both are almost static game play, erm WC3 i played the beta [the stolen beta] at one of the first lans i went too that was mad fun but Blizzard CANNOT write AI for the hairs on there back so if your not playing MP forget it Razz, CC's i also played at my mates house who owned me 10 times at TA [i think it was acctuly TA2? no mabey not.] luckly there was somone other then my kick-arse-at-rts mate there so i acctuly got a decent play of a few of them, i lost interest in the CC series after that.

Kingdom Under Fire is probly the best RTS , pitty its sequal is on XBOX and i dont want to support the devil Smile.
TacoLiberation

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as RTS goes blizzard owns the realm...quiet literally. They actually got to sell WC3 for 60$! (american) and people /bought/ it. Blizzard gets away with this from their reputation. they havent made a bad game in ages...(think back to their SNES days)

still, my favs for the RTS genre are
WC3: blizzard set out to make this one right, and they really pulled it off. almost a year and a half after buying it it still is my go to game. It hasnt gotten old, and the option to make your own maps adds endless possibilities

StarCraft (but i got tired of it after getting bsed for the 50th time online)

Age of Empires is decent, but everyone getting the same units gets a little redundant after a while. For the time it was released it was great.

Rise of Nations: This game has teh same flaw AOE did, same tech trees, and once you get to the super techs (missle defense system, AI ect.) the game can never really end...i mean come on, instant build! there is a reason its a code on all blizzard games...and microsoft really turned me off from the expansion when i found an message board of 10+ pages of bugs for /installation/

TA: its old, the campeign is hella long, and the graphics are out dated, but its still a blast to play.

West Wood's C and C games: They are all good to some extent. It took west wood a long time to make the games a little easier. (esspecially the original, it has me stumped which doesnt happen too often) WW's big problem is all their games look like clones of each other. Be warned, the games are good, but you start feeling like you're playing the same game you were a year ago after a while. (lets not argue about this)

civilization (all games of the genre): Sid Meier makes these games too often, and i know they are RTS but they deserve an honorable mention. Each new game might as well be an expansion pack, but no one really keeps count. In the end they're like comand and conquer: easy to learn and pick up, but they feel like the same game after a while.
Pinstripe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... for starters starcraft. its an excellently made game which has been around for about 10 years now and it still has a pretty large following if thats any indication of how good it is... i like the tactics you can evolve in online play and to a smaller extent against the cpu, who has a nasty habbit of rushing but doesn't rely totaly on that strategy. then, as mentioned bfore hand, the UMS aspect of the game really adds alot to it the game play can change completly in a million different ways all chosen by players.

next... the age of empires series its awesome ive been adicted for like 8 years now >< its got massive tech trees and alot of unit deversity... not much on tactics though unfortunatly. age of mythology disapointed me it was too slow paced

then C&C series starting with C&C red aleart 2 that was a hella fun game where marines could entrench themselves in pilboxes made of sandbags there was an experiance element based on the unit's time in combat and kills. also you could insert troops into buildings and stay out of harm's reach as long as the buliding was still around. the gero units were abit overpowered tho... Next C&C generals i really liked it it also had a UMS function like in starcraft the game itself wasn't that greatly liked by many people considering the heavy tactical aspect in online gameplay but it was very good imo

errr there is a mech based RTS called Metal Knight... it was fun not great but fun it had excelent unit customizability but it was more of a massive push with tons of units wins the day type of game

.. and i almost forgot the Dune series that got me hooked on RTSs way back the original one was fun... took 8(?) floppy discs to install. err Dune 2000 was pretty good but it was kinda on the slow paced side

and err thats it i think ^^;
(P.S. civilization is turn based start not RTS ><)
MageKing17

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: My oppinion Reply with quote

TA always has been and always will be my favorite RTS. I just love being able to construct a huge-*** big bertha gun and blast the snot out of any enemy building that got in my way (I once managed to land a shot on the enemy commander causing one **** of a big explosion). TA has more units than most other RTS games, and has a unit for almost any situation. The tactics are endless, and it seems like you can never run out of fun battles. I love being able to tell my commander to build my entire base in one command, and then watching him do it. I can tell units to patrol in any pattern I want, and can send squadrens of fighters to blast the snot out of an enemy defensive line to let my army of tanks and artillary through. If you are looking for an RTS with great replay value that will keep you entertained for monts, try TA.

(edit: I guess I'm not used to this filter, I should have checked first)
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My oppinion Reply with quote

MageKing17 wrote:
(edit: I guess I'm not used to this filter, I should have checked first)

Hey, don't worry about it! I'm going to mod the board sometime soon, so you can turn the filter on and off.

Basically we don't mind, but there's a lot of children who visit the board, and we'd like to give them a chance to grow up without ending up as foul mouthed as ourselves Wink
Harabek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will I have problems getting TA on Windows XP? Question
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it from www.amazon.com and it works on winXP for me, but as with all old games you start to see little incompatibilities and problems emerge as you upgrade your different bits and pieces. I get odd screen flicker now and again, some sound problems, nothing major though. The developers went bust so patches stopped appearing years ago.

Then there is the fact it is just starting to look a bit old, model poly counts are very low and the textures used are extremely low res by todays standards.

What do you expect though, still a great game.
OvermindDL1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TA is known to work on XP. The main community site, patches, whatever is at www.tauniverse.com.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've got a fair bit of experience of TA now, and I just don't like it nearly as much as Starcraft. It is nice, but it doesn't feel as coherent as Starcraft. I think it's largely down to the stupidly large selection of units. There's too many units that are either too similar, or that render each other redundant. The only units that are particularly interesting are the commanders and the buildings. Virtually all the rest of the units are variations on the "moves and has a gun" theme. Some of them move a bit faster, shoot a bit farther or are slightly better suited for shooting certain other units. But I'm never going to be all that excited about my generic mass of robots/tanks that can shoot a selection of projectiles. In comparison Starcraft gives me the option of burrowing my zerglings, using dark swarm to protect my units from some of your attacks, manuever an arbiter to cloak my units, send in a ghost to lock down your critical units, stim-packing my infantry to trade-off health for killing power, and much more. In TA I can bring in a jammer to hide me from your radar. And my commander can cloak himself and steal enemy units. Other than that it's just guns, guns and more guns.

Still, I don't hate TA. It's really quite good. It has wonderfully powerful unit controls. I can queue virtually any action, especially construction actions. Worker units set to guard and patrol do all sorts of useful and intelligent things in terms of repairing units, building units and gathering loose resources. I have enjoyed playing it for the most-part. [1] I think it could just have been much better if the 48 or so regular units for each side had instead been an interesting and varied selection of 12 to 20.

Weeble.

[1] - Except for the times when in a game with 4 or more players, someone else has reckoned he was doomed, so his commander went on a rampage through my base, ending up exploding right in the middle of it and there seemed little I could have done about it.
OvermindDL1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, TA does have too large of a selection, what I do like however is the exceedingly high unit limit for those massive battles, and the resourcing system. Those are the two things I like. Reason I like the massive armies, it is hard to micro-manage, but if you do, you seem to win every time no matter how outnumbered you are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: