FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
how well do you do in survival?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  How long can you stay alive for?  

>1
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1-5
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5-10
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
10-15
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
15-30
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
"what if you fail?" "I wont."
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
uhh... what is survival?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
cheese muffin...
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 12  

Author

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: how well do you do in survival? Reply with quote

what can you get? I can only do like 11:30...
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best time: 1 hour 17 minutes 26 (?) seconds. 76,306 points.

Survival strategy guide coming soon.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my. By about the 20 minute mark I'm not really scoring any points, since I'm spending most of the time running away from the worms. And if I kill any, more spawn in, generally in front of me. I think the top-level shields can survive a bump with a worm without letting any through to armour (not sure there), but as soon as they trap you at a wall or sandwich you, you're bouncing around like a pinball. I'd love to hear how you survive that long. Maybe if you keep lots of little ships alive the number of worms stays down? I think my best time is around 25 to 30 minutes, and my score about 53,188.
sonofzeal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My record is around 7,500 but that's on the 10 Minute Mode 'cause I only have the demo (see the topic I created). Heh....
Zatar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding this pretty frustrating.

I do ok on the first few stages but by stage 4 I'm finding too many ships after me to stop and pick up crystals to advance any further and if I leave em for later the other ships just run into them and destroy them. I also can no longer stop moving long enough to kill any capital ships.

By stage 5 I'm barely able to destroy anything as I'm still in the 3rd or 4th ship and there's no chance in hell I can stop to pick up any of the crystals left by anything I do destroy. I can stay alive just by running from everything and turning around and firing.

Eventually the worms come out and I can't kill any of them so I just end up getting bored and suiciding.

How do I collect crystals when I have 50 ships in a huge swarm behind me?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get upgraded quicker - target enemy mining barges straight away in the early stages. Initially they are quite weak but gold mines, but you don't have much time. Don't spend money initially on anything other than upgrades.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Target the cap ships. They give you a lot more mins than anything else.

Also, I like to hold on to my mins after the last prowler, and not get the first avenger until I have nearly enough money to afford the second as well. The first avenger is much harder to kill cap ships with than the last prowler.

Remember you can use upgrades like repairs -- wait until your ship is nearly dead and out of missiles, and *then* upgrade.
HunterXI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lothar wrote:
Also, I like to hold on to my mins after the last prowler, and not get the first avenger until I have nearly enough money to afford the second as well. The first avenger is much harder to kill cap ships with than the last prowler.

agreed. I find that the first avenger just can't fire at a fast enuff rate, and I die on it the most...
Zatar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, following that advice I've managed to get upgraded quicker.

I still have the same problem though. Now instead of hitting stage 4 and not being able to destroy much and not getting any crystals, I can destroy lots of things but I still don't get any crystals. There are crystals flying all over behind me but the problem remains that if I stop to pick them up, I get smashed by the swarm of small ships that are constantly warping in.

Well, that and the fact that my missles, bombs and ion cannons home in on the crystals and destroy them for me.

Actually I think I take as much damage running into crystals before they become "authorized for pick up" by being in the gravity beam long enough as I do from being shot at.

Well, anyway, I'll get better.

I have two major annoyances with this mode.

The first one is that having the "select purchace" keys be the same as the movement keys means I'm often buying the wrong thing or crashing into things as I try to buy something while moving. Bad UI.

The other one is I want a suicide button. If I die with 15 worms around me and there's no chance I'll ever be able buy my ship back (or I just don't like playing worm-only mode), if I hit escape and quit the game I get no high score or anything. But if I just sit there and wait to die it takes a surprisingly long time to go through all of the ships... Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zatar wrote:
The first one is that having the "select purchace" keys be the same as the movement keys means I'm often buying the wrong thing or crashing into things as I try to buy something while moving. Bad UI.

but the only other options are to stop the action while you decide (bad) or screw people with game pads and use more keys (bad)?
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might or might not work, but I'd suggest a slight delay (about half a second) between holding down the key and having up and down start moving the purchase cursor. Include some visual indication (maybe superimpose a big rectangular box over the current selection, and play some sound effect) to show this has taken place. My reasoning is that the main circumstance that causes mis-selections is that you're trying to buy more bombs (or maybe life) in a fight, but you accidentally move to another item. Since you're only tapping the key to keep buying the same thing, this change would prevent accidental mis-selections. The visual and audio cues would help to make sure you don't accidentally fail to move the cursor. As I said, it might be no good - you'd need to try it out. It might be that you'd end up trying to move the cursor too soon and buying the wrong thing just as much or more.
OvermindDL1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or perhaps have weapon fire1 move up and fire2 move down, ergo you can keep fleeing from enemies as you make your selections...
HunterXI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OvermindDL1 wrote:
Or perhaps have weapon fire1 move up and fire2 move down, ergo you can keep fleeing from enemies as you make your selections...

but then every time you fired, it would change selections
Bobacles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only three options for buying things, so why not use the q/w/e keys? Holding 'R' would scroll out the 'shop', and you press one of the other keys to buy what you want.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr... I can only assume these other suggestions imply pausing the game while buying things. I'm neutral on that, but I got the impression Poo Bear wasn't so keen on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: