FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Damn you Valve. Damn you all to hell.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Damn you Valve. Damn you all to hell. Reply with quote

Step 1) Buy Potato Sack (under 40 USD)
Step 2) Play Video Games
Step 3) ??????
Step 4) Portal 2 gets released early

Whoever works in marketing at Valve is either a genius, or the devil himself.

Linkage:
http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/[/url]
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one of the developers in that bundle, needless to say, they are very very happy Smile
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being Valve, I'm sure hats fit into this somewhere... I'm still trying to figure out how.
Slyh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portal 2 is out now.

(And guess who ordered it from amazon.co.uk because it cost 10 Euros less than from Steam directly. And also guess which UK based internet retailer hasn't even sent it out yet.)
Rup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll still probably have it before mine's finished downloading :-/

I can't imagine retailers are happy about the early release though.
Slyh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? Didn't you preload it?

I'm definitely not happy about the early release!
Rup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd got about 2GB out of 10 preloaded - I'd left it because I'm a bit close to my download limit, I was going to finish it off this week.

I used to use my office connection to download Steam games overnight but the new sysadmin guy has tightened up outgoing connections; he'll open up the ports to connect to steam as long as we can limit it to specific IP blocks, and steam support refuse to give those out Sad
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rup wrote:
I used to use my office connection to download Steam games overnight but the new sysadmin guy has tightened up outgoing connections; he'll open up the ports to connect to steam as long as we can limit it to specific IP blocks, and steam support refuse to give those out Sad

Use TCPView at home to find out what Steam connects to. I use it for monitoring which content servers it connects to, since my ISP has all Australian servers unmetered, and manually close the connections. There is a program called SteamWatch which does that automatically (I use it), but sometimes it just doesn't want to work.
Rup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat. I'd always used "netstat -ano" for things like that but TCPView is a much nicer interface and shows the traffic on connections too - thanks.

Yes, I'd found what looked like the auth servers (two DNS names in steam.exe) and a few content servers using netstat (some CDN servers in London it connected to) but hadn't gotten around to trying that yet. I'm also hoping I can find a list of IP addresses somewhere in the traffic so that I can watch that and monitor for changes in CDN server blocks. I've no idea how to handle multiplayer connections, though, but as long as we can play multiplayer inside our network that's probably OK.

Actually it's even easier than that: steam.log in the same directory as steam.exe logs all content server IP addresses that it's tried to connect to. I've got about 18 months worth of logs on my work PC - I can just harvest IP addresses from that. And then I just need authentication connection details, which I might already have. Hurrah! (Except this is all too late to download Portal 2 now.)
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rup wrote:
Except this is all too late to download Portal 2 now.

At least you had a better excuse for not downloading Portal 2 at work than I did.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is it any good? Review sites are giving it 100%, but lots of players are complaining it's over in just a few hours (if you don't go exploring and just get on with it).

I got stuck on Portal1 before completing the demo Embarassed so I never bothered getting it. I'm tempted to have another go and then get this sequel if I can complete the first one.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
But is it any good? Review sites are giving it 100%, but lots of players are complaining it's over in just a few hours (if you don't go exploring and just get on with it).

I got stuck on Portal1 before completing the demo Embarassed so I never bothered getting it. I'm tempted to have another go and then get this sequel if I can complete the first one.

It's a game by Valve. Of course it's good. To be more exact, f$%king awesome.

As for length... I completed the single player campaign in about seven hours. But it was a mind-blowingly awesome seven hours. I can think of plenty of worse ways to have spent my $45 (FSM bless you Valve for not using regional pricing on Steam). If you thought the original Portal was funny (and, to be perfectly honest, you should), this is so much better. I don't think it could be too much longer, anyway - as a game with one core mechanic (portals), it would seem like a stretch if it lasted too much longer.

That being said, I haven't gotten into the co-op part yet, so I don't know how much that adds to it.

P.S. Anyone who's played through it... imagine Cave Johnson asking Spider-Man to do some tests.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Portal1 in one sitting! (thanks Rup Smile ). First time I had a go at the demo, ages ago, I got stuck in an early room and gave up. Everybody went on about the great story, eating cake, companion cubes, etc - it was lost on me as I never got that far so I didn't really get what anyone was talking about and just forgot about it. This time I got all the way through and only stumbled on one level, I think it was 18, I looked up a hint and was off again.

Fantastic game, oozes atmosphere, really shows how much you can achieve without cutscenes and all that other guff. I'm assembling my paper cut out companion cube as we speak. Smile
Slyh

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, did you already have the chance to try out Portal 2?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, I keep looking at it longingly on the top shelf while I root around in the bargain bin (Stalker Clear Sky - 7 - woo!). Plus, I still haven't finished Assassins Creed2. I think I'll blow next month's game budget on it though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: