FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Poorly Thought-Out Thruster Controls Driving Me Crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Poorly Thought-Out Thruster Controls Driving Me Crazy Reply with quote

This is a great game and I'm proud to support it financially ... but ...

THE THRUSTER CONTROLS ARE REALLY IRRITATING! The throttle and afterburner are linked to the SAME CONTROL!

The longer I play it the more irritating the thruster controls get, and I haven't been playing all that long. Every time I try to cut throttle (via the time-honored method of strobing the thrust key) it kicks in the afterburners. STOP DOING THAT!

Why on Earth (or the Moon for that matter) would you design a thruster control so obviously wrong? Is there any chance you'll put the afterburner and throttle on SEPARATE CONTROLS?

ARRRRGH!

It's like you guys were the kind of Asteriods player who parked your ship in the middle of the screen and shot at stuff while rotating in place.
Had you been the type to fly around you would've naturally developed very fine throttle control through the simple expedient of strobing the thrust key. I don't have to be The Amazing Randi to know you weren't the flying-around-type because if you had been your own game would have driven you insane by now.

'K, deep breath. Oh, and I'm sorry for yelling and can you fix it? Or at least give us a key binding? I'd rather double-tap the grav thingy than have my thruster controls all jacked up. It's really buggin' me.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see what you're saying but the game doesn't have the loose gravity of Asteroids, so I didn't go with that kind of control. There's no point in defending it obviously - you'd like to play it a certain way and it doesn't allow it, that's our fault.

Howver, I will anyway... Smile

In Asteroids the interaction is quite simple - shoot stuff, don't get hit, keep an eye out for the saucer. So to make it brilliant fun (which it is) you can easily get a lot of speed up and it doesn't slow down, you have to manage it with careful thruster control.

In Starscape that level of control would overload you when combined with all the other things you have to think about. So in Starscape you don't get out of contorl easily, you soon come to a gravity assisted stop. However, we do have a ton of different inputs so some of them double up duty, better than then have to distribute a keyboard map guide (remember those on flight sims, they were cool).

Anyway, I'm not really defending it, just explaining my thinking on the issue, it isn't something that didn't occur to me it was a concious decision, right or wrong.

Glad you are enjoying it though (despite this issue).

Smile
Reeunk Afterburner

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretic! Wink

Thanks for the reply. And yeah I'm enjoying it.
Scoopyde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unexpected stories that are coming out this form.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: