FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
I'm a new independent game developer, here's my game video.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its ready, thank you!

I searched Google for "independent game developer forum" and your site was on the first place on the second page:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=independent+game+developer+forum&start=10&sa=N&fp=a2bb30ecf4f91972

... that's how I came across you Smile

I was hoping to find someone who would tell me how things are, where to apply, what to do ... if you want me to put a link to your site, I would gladly do it ... but my site's page rank is zero currently, so its up to you. If you want, please provide a small 88x31 nice looking banner ... although I could take your logo and just resize it to fit.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It starts up now, but I get the white squares like Konedima - doh!

I always like talking to anyone interested in indie games, feel free to make a link out of the logo if you like.
codergames

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 7 is probably handling OpenGL differently, but that's beyond my abilities Sad

Your link is on: http://www.codergames.com/

on the right side among other banners, you can't miss it Smile
codergames

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... though it says "Independent Game Developer, free game downloads", I wasn't sure what to write and it has to be something to be XHTML 1.0 valid.
codergames

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it ok for me to play more with my engine and then ask you to check it out? I don't know anyone who's having Windows 7, its too demanding. All my friends either have both Windows XP and Vista installed or just XP ... the best OS there is.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergames wrote:
Is it ok for me to play more with my engine and then ask you to check it out? I don't know anyone who's having Windows 7, its too demanding. All my friends either have both Windows XP and Vista installed or just XP ... the best OS there is.
Windows 7 is what Vista should have been (i.e. usable). It's a fine operating system, and eventually anyone serious about playing games is going to have to upgrade (there's already more than a few games which don't support it). Vista hate I can understand (I'll join you, in fact), but don't be hating 7. Personally I have all 3 - my main PC is XP/7 dual boot and I have a Vista laptop.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to test any new versions, just post a link when you have something to try. Smile

I had winXP for a long time and I agree that it was a fine operating system, still have it on one machine. Problem is, no matter how great it is, Microsoft are focused on win7 now so it's not going to get the updates.

I had Vista for a few weeks, just awful, nuff said.

My main machine is win7 and so is my laptop. I was suspicious at first, but it really does seem good. Start up and shut down time is nice and fast, you can turn off all the silly fancy aero glass shananigans. There some really nice improvments, I love the \\\"recent locations\\\" when you open a file browser. It's scary to think how much time I spend just navigating the file system, so that one little feature really helped make that more efficient.

Most people aren't used to the linux style security system, it was a real pain in Vista, but I think they have it about right in win7. It's comforting to be warned when different programs try to install anything or mess with anything sensitive, but it doesn't nag you about it repeatedly.

I love the new task manager too. You can get lots of information about threads, who is accessing the hard drive, how much memory things are using and all in nice clear graphs. Comes in handy when something isn't performing properly. With winXP I've had situations quite regularly where I need to kill something that isn't performing properly (my code usually) and xp couldn't kill it or I just got a blue screen. So far (touch wood) I've never seen a blue screen in win7 and it has always been able to kill a failed process.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

This is a good place to look to look to see what the hard core are using, equipment and software wise. Doesn't completely apply to us indies, I suspect we have a mix of hard core and casual users, but it's interesting to see win7 at 25% compared winXP at 38% which I think shows a fairly rapid take up.
codergames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what Win 7 is saying about white in my game? If it does not provide diagnostic info about why its doing that, then I don't see how helpful anything else could be ... I never navigate XP file system, all the shortcuts to all the folders are on my desktop, just one click.

Vista does remind me of my Ubuntu ... although I need to type password once before each similar action, that is a security risk, needs to take place. Ubuntu is more annoying, but much less demanding in terms of resources. Everything on Ubuntu is working 2-3 times faster and takes 2 times less memory.

Although, I agree ... saying nice words about Windows we're developing games on is a must, because of the "all seeing eye" ... or to say it in a different manner, more brutal, the version with stars ... we gotta kiss the Microsoft's *** while its ****** on our valets Rolling Eyes
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergames wrote:
So, what Win 7 is saying about white in my game? If it does not provide diagnostic info about why its doing that, then I don't see how helpful anything else could be

There are no error messages I can see, just white triangles. With DirectX you can run in a debug mode and there is a chance you'll see an error message like a failing blend mode or bad texture reference, etc. I don't know if OpenGL has something similar to that. It might be worth posting on a SDL forum.

Here is exactly what I see:

First the white boxes.

Then this.

Note: clicking the windows close button doesn't do anything.
codergames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Looks exactly what you said, some textures did not load at all. That's odd, because seems like font textures did load.

I wrote special requirements when submitting to Brothersoft, they tested it for a week and posted their own screenshots and wrote that no special requirements are necessary, although I specified that its only stable under XP:

http://www.brothersoft.com/games/invader-attack.html

I don't get it! Will retest the texture loading code. The game should occupy 117-120Mb of memory, if it takes less than that, then textures are not loaded at all, definitely ... looks that way
codergames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the transfer from bitmap data to texture fails there should be an error in the errolog. If there are no errors, then somehow data got lost from the memory and how that happened, is a mystery.

Even bigger mystery to me is how some textures got lost and some didn't? Its the exact same format of all textures and all data ... 32bit with 8bits reserved for alpha channel.
codergames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just managed to reproduce the problem under XP. After removing SDL_DisplayFormatAlpha, there it was, all white rectangles. Might be that SDL is not working properly under 7
codergames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think memory management is different under your Windows, so its triggering old SDL bug. Or, its the graphic card driver ... in short, I don't have a clue why SDL_DisplayFormatAlpha is skipped for some images on your Windows. You can clearly see that its not for fonts, which are of the same format and go through same code as the rest of images.
codergames

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a SDL surface memory management problem. The old SDL library works, no empty surfaces, but there are other problems Sad ... so I'm either going to wait or alter whole image loading code.

Seems that XP is ignoring the bug somehow ... maybe under Windows 7 the memory management is rejecting if something fishy goes on?
codergames

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its fixed now and working. I used MinGW 3.4.5 without being aware that it was not updated to latest 4.4.1. And my programming error immediately came up after updating the compiler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: