FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Braid!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Braid! Reply with quote

For all of you who didn't know, Braid's just been released for Mac (and has been out for PC for a while).

Honestly, I am completely blown away. I played this game a while ago on a friend's Xbox, and ended up buying it again last night. This time, though, I actually "got" the last level (brilliant!) and the secrets in the epilogue. Now I'm on the hunt for the secret stars, which I hear leads to an even more mind-blowing ending. I'm hoping it ties together the two story "threads" Spoiler (highlight to read):
the one about nuking the world that kinda comes out in the epilouge and the more predominant relationship one

Anyone else played/loved braid? What're your thoughts?
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone away to Linux-land, so I haven't been doing much (Windows) PC gaming of late. However, I had a pretty good experience with Plants vs Zombies running under Wine (almost flawless, just very occasionally the sound goes away), so I will give the Braid demo a shot. I hear there was originally going to be a native Linux port, but that it was cancelled because X Windows has some ugly warts that make it pretty hard to make a high-quality game.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. That was... uh... mind-bending. The puzzles were great, but I feel like a moron because I can't really piece together the fragments of story and the "epilogue" was just baffling. I think I was supposed to do something during the epilogue section, but I'm not sure what. Perhaps leave only the red books open somehow? Some spots I stood on made a sound like a woman singing, and in one case different (nicer?) text replaced what was in the book, but I still feel pretty lost.
SethP

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's definitely a game worth thinking about. In terms of the voices, there's a hidden spot for each red book -- if you can get there without closing the corresponding book, you get some more (possibly illuminating) text.

An important thing to note (in terms of understanding the story) is that the last world is actually the first, i.e. after the "last" level is when we get to the "beginning" of the game where Tim is standing in front of the backdrop of a burning city and then enters his house. I couldn't make much sense of the story before scouring the internet for clues/other people's interpretations.

And then you find all of the stars!
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I like the sound of this star business. I completed all the normal puzzles without hints, but then I looked up which level the first star was on. I went there and stared at it and figured out there was an interesting spot I hadn't gotten to, but I spent quite a while completely unable to figure it out. I gave up and looked it up and I would never have thought of that, and even knowing it, I really cannot be bothered with the tedious effort to follow through.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the demo a go and just thought the art was gorgeous, the animated painterly backgrounds are some of the nicest I've ever seen.

Sadly, it didn't take me long to get stuck Embarassed
SethP

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
I'm not sure I like the sound of this star business. I completed all the normal puzzles without hints, but then I looked up which level the first star was on. I went there and stared at it and figured out there was an interesting spot I hadn't gotten to, but I spent quite a while completely unable to figure it out. I gave up and looked it up and I would never have thought of that, and even knowing it, I really cannot be bothered with the tedious effort to follow through.

Yeah, I found a list of the levels with moderate hints. From that, I was able to figure out about 2 stars, get 50% of the way on a couple more, but I ended up using a guide for the bulk of my star searching.

Despite the fact that I would never have figured any of it out on my own (were it not for the internet, I wouldn't know the stars existed). Still, I felt like the solutions were novel enough (and difficult enough to carry out while knowing the strategy) that it was fun to go through and collect them even with no modest amount of help.

Poo Bear wrote:
Sadly, it didn't take me long to get stuck Embarassed

That was most of the fun of the game, for me -- getting stuck, eventually figuring it out, and feeling like the world's biggest badass for getting the solution. It's a tough game, no bones about it.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it on my Xbox not long after it came out - gorgeous, love the music... my problem is that while I like puzzles, my brain isn't wired to be good at them.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did manage to find a further two stars without hints, and I believe I've located another but have not yet figured out the second part of the trick to get there. Unlike the one I read about I didn't feel these were unfair. It was more a case of observing a place in the level that I hadn't gotten to but it seemed like it must be possible to get there, and then slowly figuring out how to manipulate things to get there.

I have discovered that one of the regular puzzles I solved incorrectly - I think I got it more by rounding-error than anything else. It turns out that the correct solution relies on something pretty confusing - after stepping off of a glowing platform that makes you green with "time immunity", you continue to remain immune to time effects for a second or so. You can continue to interact with the rewinding environment in those seconds.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've found four stars unaided, another with only knowing which level it was in, and one with some big hints (the one that you can't get after a certain point in the game). Of the remaining two, one is the one I heard about in the first place which I still haven't had the patience to fetch. The other I've been told the level it's on but I *think* I need to find the rest first.
SethP

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
So far I've found four stars unaided, another with only knowing which level it was in, and one with some big hints (the one that you can't get after a certain point in the game). Of the remaining two, one is the one I heard about in the first place which I still haven't had the patience to fetch. The other I've been told the level it's on but I *think* I need to find the rest first.

Yeah, I was irked by the one you can't go back and get. Congrats on getting so far though without help -- I'd long since given up and read the FAQs by that point. You're right about the last one, too.

For the one requiring patience, plan for it to take a couple of hours. Honestly, no less than 2, unless you have some way of artificially speeding up the game.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried getting the two hour one, but discovered a serious problem. I don't know if it's a bug in Wine or just that my computer isn't up to it: if I stay on one level a very long time the game just gets slower and slower, and it doesn't seem to recover when I leave the level. Normally it's not a big deal because I can just quit the game and come back, but that's no good here. It's hard to tell, but I think I could end up waiting an awful lot longer than 2 hours.
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: