FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
casual shmups
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: casual shmups Reply with quote

Note - I thought shmups had completely died out as a viable game to develop i.e. nobody buys them any more. However, they do still exist in a commercial form on casual portals of all places. I think they've quietly invented a new shmup sub-genre though. From the ones I've tried they have these characteristics: 1. very pretty 2. super easy 3. very very long 4. you get powered up straight away 5. shallow.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/genres/24/shooter.html

Astro Avenger, Bugatron, Star Defender, Chicken Invaders - have all had multiple releases and been in the top ten on various portals. Not that they were big hits, but a shmup in a portal top10 at all is interesting.

Playing Astro Avenger, it has that zoned out, not really concentrating on what I'm doing, relaxed kind of vibe - which is presumably why it works on a portal. Playing something like Demonstar is just way more intense and adrenalin pumping, but you can still zone out it just takes more concentration and skill to get there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: