FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
TODW: Judge Dredd mo-cap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: TODW: Judge Dredd mo-cap Reply with quote

Hopefully, this will be the start of some fun posts. 'TODW' stands for 'Tales Of Development Woe'

Not just for indies: I know many other developers pop up on the board from time to time, and I'd love to hear some of your comedy development stories, and we certainly aren't short of them. Just prefix the subject with 'TODW: ' if you've got a fun story!

Anyway, I'll kick things off:

JUDGE DREDD 1997 PLAYSTATION1 :: Mo-cap troubles!
Judge Dredd was one of the longest titles ever in production at Gremlin Interactive. It's origins are a little sketchy (I was only on the project towards the end) but I think it started out as Judge Dredd, became a game called 'Future Cop' was possibly something else, and then a new member of staff in the marketing department thought it would be great to get the Judge Dredd licence Shocked causing the few who had been on the project long enough to sigh... the end result was an 'ok' light gun game, which timed its release almost perfectly(need a sarcasticon right here) by coming out when 'Time Crisis' was released...

One of the great production 'gaffs' was made during motion capture. The mo-cap 'actors' (re: tramps and students pulled in off the street) had obviously been watching John Woo's 'The Killer', and so had been running around impersonating Chow Yun Fat. their impersonation wasn't very good though, it just involved them posing around pretending they were shotting twin pistols with their wrists bent like some kind of rapper in a hip-hop video.

It would be too expensive to re-record, but the results were usable. Sadly, the mo-cap didn't take into account wrist movement, and so the end result was Judge Dredd was constantly under attack from robots and mutants who fired wildly into the air like a bunch of partying Mexican Bandits. (forearm position only was used).

In the end, I managed to Kludge it, by building the models with bent wrists, so there was a 50% chance they might look as if they were shooting somewhere near you. If you are unlucky enough to own a copy, look closely at the enemies when they aren't shooting at you, they all hold their guns pointing backwards because of their bent wrists Rolling Eyes

Dredd Character Models. Not bad considering the ActuaSoccer Engine (which was used to make the game Rolling Eyes ) rescaled everything to the proportions of a footballer...
tawodu

Location: Debitis culpa illum sequi quia aut suscipit ex autem vel ullamco eos sit provident qui qui maxi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the characters have caps on their head that is the reason to topic has cap word from the pretending movement. Wrist to shooting of the games will be released by the best assignment writing service from the interactive board of the perfecting.
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: