FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
LostWinds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: LostWinds Reply with quote

I got some Wii points so I downloaded both LostWinds and Lylat Wars (a.k.a. Star Fox 64, a game whos awesomeness has already been proven so I don't need to make its case here).

Anyway, LostWinds. It's a platofrmer (kind of), you only control your character (Toku) left and right (with the nunchuck), as well as one button to interact with things. Where it gets interesting, however, is the wind. Yes, you take control of a wind spirit named Enril and you get to blow things around, including Toku, which allows for complex jumps, as well as pushing objects around to solve puzzles. The puzzles aren't particularly complex (I've done them, and my brain isn't really wired for puzzles), so if you're looking for a brain strain, this isn't it.

The graphics are obviously limited by the Wii's processing power and the limit on download size, so the developers have gone for a simpler approach. The models are all rather simple, and it actually works pretty well (screenshots don't really do it justice, as this is something you have to see in motion).

Sound, again, is limited, but what's here works well. The background music is beautiful, however most things in the world have only one or two sound samples, and there is no spoken dialogue.

Where the game really excels is the presentation, and how it puts things together. You'll notice things like grass waving around as you pass your cursor over it, and characters pushing against the wind if you try to blow them around. It's really one of those things you have to play to experience properly.

I won't end on that positive note though, there are a couple of negatives worth mentioning. First, some of the puzzles, especially where you have to push an object (usually a rock) onto a button can be quite frustrating, as frequently it will be hard to get it in just the right spot. The game world is continuous (like Metroid) but there is no map, although it is pretty small you can still get lost since there are only 4 or 5 different environments. There are only a few different enemies in the game, and once you've figured out how to beat them, they're pretty easy. Finally, it only lasts a few hours, making it possibly not the best value for your 1000 Wii points.

Overall? Even with those criticisms, the game is full of charm, and ends up being a fun experience while it lasts.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was intrigued by this as it was developed by one of the Elite people, Braben no less (so this is why we don't have Elite4 yet - grrr). The screen shots do look lovely.

<rant>

The thing that upset me was Nintendo declaring there would be no demos - eek! Some lame excuse about people not having much memory. What's wrong with playing a demo, buying or not and then deleting the demo? I know some of the games are short, but I wouldn't mind even a 10minute demo. The shop channel has a couple of low resolution blurry pictures and a paragraph of text - rubbish.

The whole points thing is another scam, why can't they just show the price in an appropriate currency? I can never remember how much the points cost. Another nice feature is that you don't seem to be able to buy a value of points equal to the value of the game, it's always a bit more so you have a few hundred points left you cannot use for anything. It all has SCAM written all over it - they just want to nickel and dime you.

<end rant>
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually N64 and a decent number of WiiWare games are 1000 points, and you can buy 1000 points online (also 3000 and 5000 if I'm not mistaken, never been that rich). You buy 2000 point cards in stores.

So if you want most WiiWare, N64 or NES games (there are exceptions to each) you can do so and end up even.

I can remember how much points are in our fine Australian currency, mostly because they're such a rip off. 100 points = $1.50 in our fine Australian money. Of course, in the US its 100 points = $1.00 in their ****** American paper. By the current exchange rate, points should cost a bit under $1.05 Australian. But do they? No... How many of them would be willing to pay $1.43 American per 100 points?

No demos IS probably just an excuse, since a couple of weeks ago they brought out the Nintendo Channel, offering DS game demos, and I'm sure that some DS carts have more memory than the WiiWare limit.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got upset when I bought Zelda:LinkToThePast and it was 800 points but I had to buy 1000. I'm just poor and mean I suppose.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got about a dozen games and 200 points left over... I'd complain to Nintendo, but their customer service (at least in Australia) sucks. Last time I called them, they said they'd call back... that was in January last year. Don't worry, I've given up hope.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you play Super Smash Bros Brawl, you can unlock "masterpieces", which is another name for time-limited demos. I haven't actually played them yet, because it wasn't clear if the time limit for each was a number of hours and minutes that would be permanently used up. I just checked online and apparently it's a number of minutes and seconds for which you can play, but I think some of them start in the middle of the action so you get the best out of your short play time. I can't figure out whether this is a good thing or a cynical marketing ploy. Other games (e.g. Donkey Kong 64 on the N64) have included entire retro games as hidden bonuses, but I guess we're not going to see that sort of thing again now that Virtual Console makes them into such money-makers.
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: