FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Convince Fost: PS3 or 360?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Convince Fost: PS3 or 360? Reply with quote

360: 7
Ps3: 7

Breakdown:

360: Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars, Speedball 2, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Sensible Soccer, Braid.
Ps3: Valkyrie of the Battlefield, Loco Roco Cocoreccho, Little Big Planet, Bluray Drive (+3 points for this), not likely to break down any time soon.

Carrying on from the last thread, send me trailers, links screenshots etc that will convince me either way. Bear in mind I'm a jaded old fart with pretty odd gaming tastes Smile Anything that convinces me either way, I'll add a point and update this top thread

So, kicking off:

360: Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars, Speedball 2, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Sensible Soccer, Braid.
Ps3: Little Big Planet, Bluray Drive (3 points for this), not likely to break down any time soon.

PS3 has a game deficit at the moment, but I'm fully aware there's stuff on it's way so I don't want to make a decision too early.

Last edited by Fost on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
SethP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if they've been mentioned, but these definitely bear throwing out there:

Xbox 360: Crackdown, Fable 2 (now with dog!), and Assassin's Creed.

PS3: Playstation Home.

Personally, I want an Xbox 360 for those three reasons (plus Mass Effect and Geometry Wars). On the other hand, a second-life type MMO tied into my game console makes me want to run screaming into the hills, but you did say you had odd tastes Razz

P.S. If this thread turns into a war about how awesome Playstation Home is, I apologize in advance
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As previously discussed, am a bit 'meh' on Assassin's Creed. Fable 2 is a maybe, but PM hasn't really impressed me since Syndicate Wars. Keeping an eye on it though. Crackdown I have to single out as looking uniquely unimpressive for my tastes, but that's based on footage so I should just have a go when I get a chance.

PS Home, does look very nice, but also looks like the kind of thing I have very little interest in. Would like to try it out though and see.

No new points either way from me yet Smile
Siber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard much on Halo Wars? There really isn't much out there in the way of media on it, but it could potentially breath life into console RTS games. Or it could bomb hard and turn out to be just a cheap cash-in on the Halo title. I'm hoping for the first, as I trust the devs in charge of it. Might be something to look out for, in any case.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be interesting, but Starcraft is on the way and we already have Supreme Commander. Unless it was truly ground breaking I doubt an RTS would be a good reason to buy a console as they are much better on PCs.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siber wrote:
Have you heard much on Halo Wars? There really isn't much out there in the way of media on it, but it could potentially breath life into console RTS games. Or it could bomb hard and turn out to be just a cheap cash-in on the Halo title. I'm hoping for the first, as I trust the devs in charge of it. Might be something to look out for, in any case.

More likely the latter.
Agrajag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big plus for the PS3 for me is Ratchet and Clank: Future. R&C is one of the best action/adventure games out there and easily my favorite Playstation franchises. Unfortunately I don't think there are any good trailers out for it yet, my desire for it is completely based on my experiences with the previous games in the series.

Another game for the PS3 I'm looking forward too is Infamous, which seems like GTA meets City of Heroes/Villains. Again, I'm basing my desire for the game mostly on previous games put out by Sucker Punch although this one has a decent trailer out.

And there's God of War III, which again I want simply because the first two were so amazingly good.

Legendary: The Box looks pretty sweet, even if the name is horrible. I think it's coming out for both PS3 and 360 though, so that doesn't really help.

Also I've heard Crackdown is really good, although I haven't played it myself yet. Personally I'm probably going to get a 360 once the price drops down to the $250-300 range because I don't own an original Xbox, so I sort of get double the amount of "new" games to play (whereas I already own a PS2). However now that I have an HDTV the Blu-ray player in the PS3 is very tempting.
Sergenth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that you've assigned 2 points to Little Big Planet.

After gorging on the E3 trailers, two more games that would get me to think about a PS3 are Heavenly Sword (excellent facial animation, rental-worthy) and Metal Gear Solid 4 (excellent everything and replayable).

However, even LBP, HS, and MGS4 are not enough to get me to buy a PS3 at it's current price.

I was all set to buy Knytt Stories in August... Razz
Agrajag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't set 2 points to LBP, one of those points is going towards the fact that a PS3 is less likely to red ring than 360.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Heavenly Sword, I'm guessing it's a bit set-piece driven. It looks wonderful, but oddly (being an artist) I'm a bit uninterested in graphics as a selling point these days. It's nice icing on the cake, but I'm really looking for interesting game elements/story/vibe.
Ren Fraggle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my impression from Heavenly Sword, only from the demo recently released over the PSN.

The first thing people always like to point out is graphics. Yes, the HS graphics are pretty, but I don't tend to give a lot of points for that in any game. I am more concerned with the way games play.

It may look like it could be similer to GoW, or DMC, although it's less of a puzzle solver and explorer, and more focused on killing the bad guys. You don't get a big map to explore, instead, you get stuck on little areas that are full of bad guys, and when they're all dead, a transition to the next area full of bad guys. Transitions are little scenes you watch, and sometimes it prompts you to press a button. If you press it right, then something good happens, and you'll probably end up killing 1 of the many bad guys before you get control back to fight normal. If you mess up, then the character makes an embarrassing mistake, maybe dying, maybe just tripping and falling flat on her face before she gets up to fight again.

The game seems less interactive as far as exploring goes, but they tried a little harder to make the combat more interesting. If you just pick up the game not knowing any better, then it will seem like a dull button masher; hit the buttons in order to perform fancy fighting combinations against the bad guy. That does get the job done, but it really isn't entertaining.

Using R1 and R2 however places the character in different fighting stances. The default stance is a quick stance, fighting with lots of quick slashes. The L1 button switches you to the ranged stance, her sword gets attached to a chain, which she uses to swing the sword about, you probably seen this somewhere else before. Using the R1 button switches to the strong stance, which can be used to break through shields and defenses.

When the bad guy attacks at you, he starts to glow. That tells you to watch out for that guy, and the color of his glow tells you which stance he is attacking you with. All you have to do is switch to the stance he's attacking you with, and as long as you're not attacking back, you block without damage. If you press the triangle just right, you will even perform a counter attack, which plays a short scene of the lady killing the bad guy in some fancy way.

The game lets you pick stuff up and throw it at people. Tilting the controller one way or another causes an aftertouch, making the thrown object turn that way as it flies. If you imagine someone bowling, and after they throw the ball, they start leaning to the side, hoping that the ball will do the same, it's a little like that.

If you fight well enough, you build up some rage dots in the middle of her health. You can use those dots to perform some super moves, like cleaving a man in the groin, causing some of the other men to faint.

Basically, the game is very dull unless you know some of the fighting tricks. I like some monster killing action games like these, but not always the ones everyone else likes. I like the PS2 Castlevania games, and with the exception of the Two Thrones, I liked the Prince of Persia games. I didn't like Devil May Cry games, or God of War.

This is only based off of the demo, which is an old build. Things may have changed about the game. Personally, I wasn't too impressed, but I'll wait until the release and then read some reviews. A lot of people liked the demo, but if the released game is just more of what the demo is, I'll probably skip it.
ewerybody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overlord for 360! Evil Picmin meets Dungeon Keeper :]
But I didn't play it yet :/ no time. But felt in love with it as I saw it at a colleagues 360.

Another HUUUUUGE Huge plus for me is XNA! Currently we are doing a little shmup-sparetime project that will finally run on the 360 via XNA. As a developers club member you can actually load code up to your 360 and run it there. (don't ask me how much we already finished.. its a shame :/ )

( I kind of dislike PS3 for a couple of reasons: 1. they used the spiderman font for the ps3-typo. 2. its ugly 3. I hate Phil Harrison ...)

But I love Wii as well!
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewerybody wrote:
Another HUUUUUGE Huge plus for me is XNA!

Microsoft have traditionally been amazingly helpful to developers - at least whenever we've dealt with them, and XNA seems like a fantastic way to get people developing for a console. Don't discount the PS3 on that score though, they have some stuff in the works that's currently under NDA so nobody has heard yet.
SethP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found something that, if it isn't points for the PS3, is still DAMN cool:

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Games/THE_EYE_OF_JUDGMENT
Agrajag

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Eye of Judgement looks cool, but I'm not sure it has any practical application besides tons of Yugioh and Magic video games Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: