FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Obligatory "Anything For Mac? (or Linux)" 2007 :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnulus wrote:
Oh, also, I hate it when my start menu has that many programs

I have to admit - I've yet to meet many people who use the start menu or even windows explorer - most people I know use desktop icons and my computer to browse.

I tend to do a lot of tidying of my start menu - there's only ever about 6 sub folders - like 2D/3D/office/games etc. It's a bit of a pain, since so much guff gets installed into the start menu these days (like the manual links, web links etc), that it takes a while to delte all that and just have the program launch shortcuts. At the end though, having a couple of hundred programs in the start menu isn't a problem. Maybe this stuff is inherently handled better in other OSs though - but I've always found keeping things tidy helps my workflow enormously.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love a good quality Quicksilver-like launcher for the PC. However, it would be pretty useless in tablet mode. Of course, last time I checked there were no tablet Macs. I would seriously have considered getting one if there was. Anyway, what I wanted to ask was where does one keep less frequently used shortcuts on the Mac, especially if Quicksilver isn't appropriate?
Magnulus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I could ever live without windows explorer in Windows. I really can't stand the loss of the folder column on the left. I know you can activate it in My Computer, but that's kind of a hassle. To me, anyway.

How do you mean, not appropriate? I still haven't found a situation where that is applicable. I guess you could put those shortcuts in a folder and place that folder among the pictures, application etc folders in the left column of Finder. That way, you'd be two clicks and one double-click away from those shortcuts.

Another option: I haven't really researched this, and am away from my iMac 'till tomorrow, but there MIGHT be a possibility that you could add a folder to your dock, so that you'd have a collection of less-used shortcuts in that folder and just access it from the dock.

What would be useful, then (and this might possibly already exist without me knowing it, because - again - I haven't researched it due to the lack of a need for it.) is a program that sits in your dock with the others that you could just drag-drop other programs into so they'd show up in a roll-up menu (like the start menu, yes) and you could choose from that. If you needed it. I don't see the need, personally, but that's me.

EDIT: OH! And as for the tablet macs, it's a possibility the Ultra-Portable that's rumored to come in the Macbook Pro range is a tablet computer, and in any case, you have the pressure sensitive ModBook from Axiotron, which is a modified Macbook that you can buy for 2300 USDs at http://www.axiotron.com/ ... There's a lot of good built-in stuff in OSX to support tablets, so that's good.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By not appropriate, I mean that for whatever reason a keyboard is not available as an input device. E.g., you're using a tablet computer, you're using a media center computer operated by some form of remote or presentation tool, or you're physically disabled and can't use a keyboard but you do have some form of pointing device. A keyboard might be available for setup, or you might need to enter all text as handwriting, via an on-screen keyboard or through some more elaborate means. As I understand it, the (considerable) benefits of Quicksilver would be nullified if entering text was slower and more fiddly than navigating menus.

EDIT - I added in the Dasher link above, because I think it is really cool.
Ripdog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All mac apps are in the applications folder, just 2 clicks away.

And @icarus, do you use ALL 50 of those programs on a regular basis? For less often used programs there spotlight.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I don't know if either system has a way of launching programs suitable for me. A mac doesn't do it for me because I have so much **** I couldn't possible fit everyting on the dock, and I couldn't use spotlight because I don't remember the name of half of the names. My start menu in Windows however, is so bloated that it takes it takes more than 15 seconds to scroll from stop to botton, and that's if you don't want to read what's there. The best I've seen is Linux, actually - instead of lumping everything under one menu, it spreads them out into categories. In the programs menu, it spreads them out into categories. It takes up a little bit more screen real estate, but is a lot easier to go through.
Ripdog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Linux IS better then windows, if it isnt micro$oft, its good. Or, well, as long as you dont PAY them, its ok.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to meet the man who pays for Linux, and laugh at them.

Is Linux something PC and Mac users can agree on?
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably yes.
SethP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konedima wrote:
I'd like to meet the man who pays for Linux, and laugh at them.

Is Linux something PC and Mac users can agree on?

Sure, always happy to agree on what's free :p

Also, you might want to take a look at a launcher like Quicksilver. I don't know how it works, but I hear that the whole point is to make whatever you want to launch almost immediately available (although there's a learning curve, I think).

Someone who actually has a Mac probably could tell you how useful Quicksilver is. If it's not what you need, though, you could always consider writing your own launcher (especially if you use linux -- open source is fun).
Magnulus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone who already has a mac HAS already mentioned the usefulness of Quicksilver several times. Namely me (and I think someone else agreed). However, Weeble seems to often find himself with a stylus rather than a keyboard, which could render QS useless.

However, I hear that OSX has built-in handwriting recognition, so I suppose you should be able to use QS with a ModBook.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripdog wrote:
Well, Linux IS better then windows.

Except no photoshop, - although at least it has Maya. Maya is one of the best apps for unifying my thoughts across operating systems ever - runs on mac, windows and Linux.
Ripdog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Maya related to Photoshop? GIMP owns you.

BTW, when forced to use windows I always use Approcket. Type a few characters, its there.

http://www.candylabs.com/approcket/

Rather similar to quicksilver, for windows.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripdog wrote:
How is Maya related to Photoshop?

Game artists live in photoshop + 3d Modelling package. There's only really 4 high end apps that get used in game dev - Maya being one of them.

Ripdog wrote:
GIMP owns you.

Ahh, so you are not an artist.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Ripdog wrote:
GIMP owns you.

Ahh, so you are not an artist.

*chuckles*
Sorry, that's just very nicely said. Cruel, yes, but nice. Very Happy
I tried Gimp once... Wasn't really my kind of thing. I've been a Photoshop man for ten years or so. Not going to change any time soon.
That's also part of what makes mac so awesome. Even CS 2, which isn't Universal Binary, works wickedly fast for most things on my intel mac, and it actually looks and acts differently from the windows version. The menus and stuff are the same, mostly, so there's no real transition, but it has a few small things in the way things are presented that make it more enjoyable to work with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: