FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Obligatory "Anything For Mac? (or Linux)" 2007 :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm not saying it's all your own fault, I think maybe you have very little patience with macs due to the fact that you've decided to hate them for no REAL reason. However, I haven't tried networking with a PC for printing from my mac, so I wouldn't know.

(Getting printer-networking to work between PCs is also annoying as hell in my experience.)
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well by the time i gave up I had already gotten my computer to connect to the Mac (with much pulling of hair). But the printer was still not obeying me.

Now that I think about it I still have full access to His computer. Twisted Evil
SethP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
Well by the time i gave up I had already gotten my computer to connect to the Mac (with much pulling of hair). But the printer was still not obeying me.

Now that I think about it I still have full access to His computer. Twisted Evil

In my experience, Windows doesn't do an adequite job of sharing resources over networks (not without much pulling of hair, as you mentioned). Just out of curiousity, I'd like to know what would happen if you tried to connect the printer to the Mac and have the PC remotely access it.

As a general comparison of Macs vs. PCs from someone who's used both, you can check out this trilogy of articles starting with part 1:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9004803

The stories are mostly about this guy's search to find the software he needs to use for his job, but there's a few tidbits of why in the end he decided to switch full time to a Mac.
Agrajag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some experience with networking computers in order to use a printer thats shared on one of them. Basically it works like this:

PC to PC - Works ok. You have a relatively good chance of getting them connected, but the connection will sometimes drop off or stop working for no understandable reason. Takes a bit of work to initially set up.

PC to Mac or Mac to PC - Probably won't work. I haven't been able to get it to (although I've been told that installing Bonjour for Windows helps Windows machines find and print to printers connected to Macs)

Mac to Mac - Works perfectly without any hassle (computer will automatically detect and list other connected printers on your network).
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience trying to do stuff with a Mac a few years ago:

http://clockworksaint.livejournal.com/4297.html

It's a shame. I don't think my experience is typical, but it seems there are rough corners there that are exactly the sort of thing I thought Apple were reknowned for having done away with. Why no tooltips? There were quite a few buttons with no label, tooltip or meaningful icon. I got error codes without accompanying error messages. Operations failed to do anything without and feedback. It's not that it did any worse than a Windows PC, but I thought Apple were supposed to be the experts at this kind of stuff.

All that said, I will sooner buy a Mac than Windows Vista. ;)
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I eventually found the printer. I just couldn't get the drivers installed on my computer to recognisee the printer on his computer (or visa versa)
Sorrow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:

All that said, I will sooner buy a Mac than Windows Vista. Wink

Yea Vista is horrid, my mate had it idling with 400mbs in RAM on a fresh install o.0, although id much rather try Linux or something over Mac Razz

Although i must admit i am a bit biased as i really hated the way they pushed IPods, still they do good anti-Windows adds and that knocks them up a level or two in my eyes Smile.
Agrajag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I like Macs, I find most of Apple's Mac ads very annoying. Their Vista one is pretty hilarious though (only because it's so accurate).

"You are making a post to Moonpod's forums, Cancel or Allow?"
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Vista does that by itself?

I don't need to download 3rd party softwhare?
Finally!

%95 irony free
Ripdog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does a Mac have a network neighbourhood?
When you click on it does the computer lock up for 5 minutes?
When it finally pops up is it filled with a confusing mess of 500 shortcuts to network locations you visited once 5 years ago?
If someone shares a new folder or un-shares a folder does it actually update onto your computer without you having to reboot or crashing the folder window?
If you try and get a new machine onto the network (particularly wireless) is it a complete pain of esoteric properties and configuration ****?

I genuinely don't know and I was interested to see if maybe this was all about usability? Windows has a lot of **** that gets in the way (networking is just one annoyance), a lot of it you get used to and don't really notice because there is nothing at hand to compare with.

Maybe Macs solved some/all/none-of those problems?

Heck, just playing a video/dvd can be a frustrating adventure in Windows. Maybe Macs are just as bad though.

Networking is great on a Mac, i installed bonjour on my computers, and they found each other instantly. Well, they were config'd via DHCP, so i had to set up static IP's for them to host games, but it was much better then pure windows experiences i have had.

Um, ive never had and kind of network shortcut problem ob windows or OSX, rofl.

The share thing is non-existant.

For the most part, OSX's UI is great for usability, no flaws of note yet, and ive had the mac for over a month.

And playing DVD's is simple as hell in OSX. Plonk it in, one click and it plays. Mind you, it was similar in windows for me.

And Magnulus, the only DVD players that let you change regions more then about 5 times are the cheap chinese ones, and its a hardware thing, not software.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorrow wrote:
Weeble wrote:

All that said, I will sooner buy a Mac than Windows Vista. Wink

Yea Vista is horrid, my mate had it idling with 400mbs in RAM on a fresh install o.0, although id much rather try Linux or something over Mac Razz

Although i must admit i am a bit biased as i really hated the way they pushed IPods, still they do good anti-Windows adds and that knocks them up a level or two in my eyes Smile.

What are you doing with less than 2gb of ram anyways? its 2007 and 400mb is less than I would expect for a big OS like vista.

Also, Don't buy an OS until it has been out for a year and DON'T JUDGE AN OS BEFORE YOU USE IT!

Anyone who criticizes Visa before 2008 is a tool.
Ripdog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't judge a WINDOWS version before its been out for a year, other OS' are usable from day one. Microsoft sucks.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gadget show this Thursday is running a Mac Vs Linux test - I bet they give Suzy the Mac. Smile
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripdog wrote:
Don't judge a WINDOWS version before its been out for a year, other OS' are usable from day one. Microsoft sucks.

OsX is never usable.
Ripdog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess, you've never touched one?

When i boot into vista, i always wonder how you people can live with such a useless shell. DLL files, programs installing themselves anywhere they want, start menu (dear god thats useless) no spotlight... Even before i ever touched a mac i was installing lots of little add-ons like approcket to make windows usable.

Also, whats gadget show? UK TV?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: