FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Supreme Commander
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Supreme Commander Reply with quote

Supreme Commander got a fair amount of buzz in the battlescape forum way-back. So the demo's been around for a week or two now and I got around to playing it this weekend.

RTSs basically boil down to
    * build as much as you can
    * roll it at your enemy
but Supreme Commander strips it down much barer than that: all the resources are of the inexhaustible 'build a collector and it just keeps ticking up' type - even the resource gauges are set up to show you the rate youíre gaining vs. the rate your using so youíre expected to just keep building, building, building - and there isnít, as far as I can see, any effective way of controlling your troops once youíve committed them to the fight: almost all RTSs support adding / removing units from a selection and assigning a selection a hot-key to pick them up later: Supreme Commander doesnít seem to support that, the best you can do is drag over a moving army and hope you pick up the right units.

I may well have missed something because the only tutorials are in 10+ videos you have to download from Fileplanet separately and they don't go into much detail. Or maybe thatís how you all knew and loved TA, I never played that. Otherwise the game seems very polished: thereís two missions in the demo with a bit of plot (although the 'twist' in mission two is blindingly obvious) but it did run a bit slowly at times on my two-year-old PC.

So overall Iím luke-warm towards it. I may still get it anyway to see if having a proper manual helps but Iím not sold just yet.
Blizgerg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got TA back in 97 sometime and still play occasionally. I'm not very good IMO. But, build as fast as you can and throw it at the NME is the basic strategy that I tend to use. Although, much of that building as fast as you can has a lot of strategic planning involved because some units in TA are flat out useless and others are very useful. What combination of units gives you the most firepower the quickest that can get to the NME? The answer to that question in different depending on the map and how the opponent plays.
I only do individual unit control on special units; commander, factories, bombers (line bombing!), flashes and jiffies at the beginning (an early jiffy raid can really hurt) etc. One of the things though that I think would make TA much better would be something a little bit akin to formations. I.e. I want this group of units to stay together and spaced out, I don't really care how you do it most of the time either. That way it reduces a 50 unit group to being controlled a lot like 1 unit.
I got the idea that many idea like that where the main improvements of Supreme Commander over TA. I definitely think I will take a look at Supreme Commander sometime in the future. (I don't want it enough to register with fileplanet.)
Rup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, their site is flash so I couldn't link to their download page so I just picked fileplanet. There are others, e.g. fileshack or Gamer's Hell - go to supremecommander.com and click the demos link in the top-right. It's pretty huge, though.

If you move a large group of units then they will form up into a rectangle when they get there but they spread out a bit for the journey. I'd taken to letting them form up just short of the enemy before a final push (and if I've got a spare engineer build a few turrets there to protect my staging area).

I'm no RTS guru, and I think I'd probably enjoy this if I bought it 'cos it's different to other RTSs I've played but I doubt I'll properly 'get' it tactically.
ewerybody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite curious about SC. Even a little more about C&C3 coming next month. But I bet SC could really be more innovative. C&C3 will probably be the old shhht in new clothes. Cool clothes though Wink

I'm just downloading SC now .... but as you said its huge for a demo. They have no shame no more :] 1Gig for a demo... oh hell!! *snorrre*
Dirty Harry Potter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Supreme Commander Reply with quote

Rup wrote:
almost all RTSs support adding / removing units from a selection and assigning a selection a hot-key to pick them up later: Supreme Commander doesnít seem to support that, the best you can do is drag over a moving army and hope you pick up the right units.
Actually, you can do this :X CTRL + number to make a group, just the number to select the group, shift to add units to your current selection - just like most RTSs D:

Rup wrote:
[...]all the resources are of the inexhaustible 'build a collector and it just keeps ticking up' type - even the resource gauges are set up to show you the rate youíre gaining vs. the rate your using so youíre expected to just keep building, building, building[...]
Well, here the trick is to use your resource intake to the fullest - you see, you have limited storage available (contrary to most other RTSs), meaning that if you have income, and full storage, you are essentially wasting resources/potential. where as if you build too much, your effectivity lowers.

I gotta agree on the story though, painfully scripted and not really surprising at all.

And another quarrel I have with the game is that the sides doesn't seem to be THAT different, it's more "minor" things like, this unit has hover on the aeon side, whereas it doesn't on the others, and this AA-unit can be changed so i can attack ground units instead. not really much more different than that :X the biggest difference is the experimental units, and the look of the factions.

And yes, it seems there isn't much you can actually do when they are fighting, I suppose the strategy is "setting up the fight" that will make you win - ie. use intel to find out which units he's building and countering them, and of course positioning them on the map properly.

That said I still like it so far, and looking forward to when I can get some multiplayer games going with some mates to see it in real action (so far I've only played skirmish, campaign and 1 multiplayer game where my arse got beat to smithereens D:
Rup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Supreme Commander Reply with quote

Dirty Harry Potter wrote:
Actually, you can do this :X CTRL + number to make a group, just the number to select the group, shift to add units to your current selection - just like most RTSs D:

Smile Yeah, I swear that didn't work first time I played. I found the keylist in the readme and tried it again and I've had that working now. Maybe I was pressing alt or something.

Dirty Harry Potter wrote:
Well, here the trick is to use your resource intake to the fullest - you see, you have limited storage available (contrary to most other RTSs), meaning that if you have income, and full storage, you are essentially wasting resources/potential. where as if you build too much, your effectivity lowers.

I played through the demo again building as much as I could. On the first mission by the time I had to face the Aeon I had 250+ spare land units built which I just steamrollered over their base. That worked but kinda felt cheap Smile On the second mission, by the time I had to cross the river I must have hit the population limit (is that what you mean by effectivity lowers?). I couldn't find an easy way to ferry my troops across with the flying transports (can you tell a large groups of units to load themselves into a group of transports or do you have to load a few individually onto each one?) so I built new factories on the other side of the river to build a new army but couldn't get them to build anything until I'd self-destructed a lot of units and old structures. So the pop limit strikes me as a bit low for this style of game. The video tutorial even says alt-click on a build option is 'build 500 of this unit' (!), I'm fairly sure I didn't have 500, but I'm not sure alt-click actually works in game anyway.

So I've got a bit further than I first did at least. I guess I still don't get exactly how much you're meant to build and why.
Dirty Harry Potter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to transport a lot of units, is to set your transporters to ferry - what this does is make a waypoint from where it is now, to where you click, and if you order any unit(s) onto the ferry beacon, the transporter will transport the units to the end-destination - of course until everyone has been transported. If you have multiple transporters you want to have the same route, then set one to ferry, and the rest to assist that unit - that way, they will all pick up units set on the same ferry beacon.

Remember, if you hold shift you can see all waypoints and move them - which can be useful if you place the ferry destination the wrong place the first time :S or if you just want to change an existing route.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need a specific unit type that you don't have, and you have met you maximum, you can suicide selected units by pressing CTRL + K iirc.

To see the unit limit, you can press F2 for the scores window, this also has the unit limit, plus how many units you currently have. In multiplayer games you can set it up to 1000 units iirc.

About the effectivity being lowered, no, that's not what I mean, if you click the box where it says how much income/outcome you have, you will see a percentage, that percentage is your effectivity - it's 100% if you have no income/outcome or if you have income - then if you get outcome, it will be lowered. a lower effeciency basically means that anything using resources (for example factories, or engineers) will construct at a lower pace - how low depends on how low the efficiency is :S

..Also, if you have outcome for power, and no power in storage, then radars, shields and the like will begin to flicker on and off - or may just be off entirely.
Rup

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, that's all useful stuff I hadn't picked up from the demo and tutorial videos. I'll probably pick up the full game next time I'm at the shops.

I did try the ferry order but it seemed a one-time ferry of current cargo - I'll look for the pick-up waypoint if I try it again.
ewerybody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Thats really a effrontery!! The demo is 1GB huge and when you click Tutorial you get a page in the browser to fileplanet where you can download 10 .movs together 448mb large!!! *ROFLMAO*

But the game itself has a lot of cool stuff to offer I think... (I have to admit that I was greedy enough to download all the tutorial-movs `:] )
Dirty Harry Potter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gametrailers.com has a lot of, if not all the tutorial vids for easy streaming :S, plus, they're in a worse quality so they're not as big.

And I suppose they didn't want to needlessly make the demo download bigger than it already was :X *shrug*

Anywho, in the full version it seems they have an "actual" tutorial, ie. you actively doing stuff, instead of being passively shown what you do.
ewerybody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea! Thats actually what I think a tutorial should be! Smile
And I bet a little bit of voices and gamescripting is much smaller than this bunch of videos.
Deraldin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewerybody wrote:
yea! Thats actually what I think a tutorial should be! Smile
And I bet a little bit of voices and gamescripting is much smaller than this bunch of videos.

The tutorial in the full game is similar to the videos on the website. There is a much larger selection of them in the game. The ones on the website are just the basics section.

EDIT: The tutorial starts a sandbox game where you have all three commander units and no enemy. It allows you to build whatever you want and at whatever speed you want with no worrying about being attacked. There is a button that allows you to access the videos at any point during the sandbox game.
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got SC last night. I haft to say I am disappointed so far. This isn't the genre busting title the back of the box claims it to be. Maybe I was just tormented by the slowness of the game due to my aging computer, or perhaps I need to get a better look at the controls.

The only element I have seen so far that is new and unique is the ability to control a mass number of units from a zoomed out map. Come to think of it TA had that ability via its Radar screen, so the only differences are the ability to zoom and the fact that you can identify units at that level. Not the quantum leaps forward I was looking for.

In addition to formations and/or a better way to control large groups of units, I was hoping that you could produce a small squad of units with just a click of button. The best that I have seen so far in this department is the ability to have a factory continually produce units (something I have already seen in other RTS games). I built about 50 Mantis units (Cybrian T1 heavy tanks) and then went and smashed the enemy base. So ended the first Cybrian mission. Sigh...

I guess I'll give SC another go tonight while I resist the urge to mail my copy of TA to the guys at Gas Powered Gas with a note attached that says "Do better than this."
Rup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tryagain Infinity wrote:
I built about 50 Mantis units (Cybrian T1 heavy tanks) and then went and smashed the enemy base. So ended the first Cybrian mission. Sigh...

That was one of the missions in the demo so I must have done it four or five times now Smile It's easier if you build turrets lots of turrets right where the Aeon are about to appear Twisted Evil before they finally do.

I found you needed more strategy than that playing on hard: the enemy base point defences really chew up your tanks so you need to tackle them with artillery, you can't just roll over enemy bases any more. Mind you I also find air units next-to-useless so maybe I'm not doing something right.

I'm still struggling to handle basic selection stuff, e.g. I drag over a large land army but accidentally select a few fighters - how do I deselect them but keep everyone else? But I haven't played through the tutorials or read the manual properly yet, hopefully it'll all become clear.
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The controls are similar to TA. If you want to select all of one type of unit or factory (the only other improvement I found so far) just zoom out and double click the unit type you want. This way you can select all your bombers for an airstrike. I'll bet there is a keyboard command for this, but I tend to hug the mouse when I play RTS's.

As for deselecting/adding units to a group its either hold the shift or control key down and click what you want or don't want. I think its the shift key since the control key assigns groups, but I can't remember right now.

I was playing on easy so I'll haft to try a harder level later.
Spoiler (highlight to read):

I actually used bombers to take out the anti-air defences and then the UEF base in the northwest corner because my artillery was being flattened by the defences of that base.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: