FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Help us finish our next game > Trainer bugs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toren Kanesun wrote:
I volunteer myself for bug-testing duty. Smile

Having a taste of programming in COBOL as well as scripting for other games, I know all too well that some things are not very easy.

As to "god mode" would the AI hang if the ship insta-repaired? For example, something bumps into your ship and you take damage. But with the cheat enabled, your ship repairs to 100% quickly.

Although, I'd just use the infinite resources. Twisted Evil

hey all, my first post. thought i'd say hi and give my 2 cents.

only problem w/ this is if you're hit with a large amount of projectiles at once and/or are hit by a weapon that kill sin one hit. i'm only on zone 3 right now, so i dont really know if theres something that does that much damage, but it does keep you from laughing at the boss when you destroy it with your runabout. ? maybe have it boost your health to 9999, and then repair fast?
WyldOne2112

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Replay Value Reply with quote

Hey, another guy new to the board here.

Just wanted to say that unlocking cheat codes when you beat the game would be a great thing. I've gone through and beaten the game on Normal, and I'm reluctant to do Hard since it takes me forever and a day to mine all the resources I need for a fully equiped fighter at the higher levels (even with the Lv.3 Grav Beam) Shocked . The replay value of the game would go through the ROOF if there were even an infinite resources code.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That always makes me wonder:

I'd be the first to admit that mining in Starscape is the one thing that can get repetitive (We'll have to think of ways to spice that up!) but I always found quite quickly you can avoid mining by concentrating on capitol ships.

I've noticed some people even go to the effort of mining every single resource in zone 1. It's a valid tactic, but surely makes for a boring game?

What do you think, should we do more in the game to discourage this type of play? or should people be left to decide how they want to play?
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually kinda fun mining, with the scoop patch installed. Park the Aegis on one side of a mineral cluster, pilot over to the other, summon it, and then fly over to the next cluster while the Aegis mines all the minerals you've ever hoped for. This gives the fun bonus of having to chase down the minerals that "escape" the Aegis, as the little yellow dots goes hurtling across your radar.(Try waiting 5 seconds before you start chasing, and then attempting to catch them all! Quite a challenge.)

Also, a thought on cheat codes given when beating the game: have them be game-unique, like the registration challenges. Would be interesting to know there's cheats out there that someone can't just casually download.

Would also be interesting to have them mode-specific(beat it on easy, get codes activated for easy only).
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encourage everybody to try playing the "Scavenger Challenge". You never waste any time mining! There's a bit of research to do, but you'll have plenty of resources from killing capital ships and zone bosses. It was the fastest I ever played through the game. I later reloaded the game from just before the end and went back to get some tech, and the resource-gathering took ages. You don't need all that junk! Okay, you want to be quite conservative on hard mode, but in retrospect I think the best way to do that is go for cheap, replaceable technology so that it doesn't matter if you lose a ship, because the next one won't cost you much. Certainly that nasty zone 3 boss is no easier with a high tech ship than a prowler with a few blasters and no shields.
WyldOne2112

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno... really, my biggest problem is that it's hard as heck to get the RIGHT resources. Probably be nigh impossible, but if there was a way to give you resources based on your levels. Like, if you've got a full tank of purple, half of yellow, and no green you'll never get purple, and you've got a 2:1 ratio of green to yellow. I know you don't use nearly as much green, but that's the most frustrating part of mining... trying to find the green gems when you're researching stuff up at the beginning of the game.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be afraid to recycle stuff too! Missile bays are worth a fair bit, and bomb bays are worth loads. Everything you recycle will give you way more purple than anything else, but as the game goes on you'll be needing the purple quite badly.
WyldOne2112

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out my problem. It's really pretty simple Embarassed . I was sticking in the dangerous zone and mining it out repeatedly to get my resources instead of shredding cap-ships. The aggro route is much more lucrative.
nightwolfz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres almost no protection against memory editing ... give us a challenge ^^
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightwolfz wrote:
give us a challenge ^^

Sure, play the game without cheating. There's your challenge.
Bobacles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're really that good at memory editing, try to make a game mod. Razz
ChewySquirrel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont need a long esting period just make a "cheat patch" which adds cheats to the game warn people of possible instability and all the other stuff

so the cheaters are happy and the regular players wont have to worry about their game being broken and accidently activating a cheat
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not totally so simple with Starscape (which probably explains why the unofficial trainers cause crashes), but yeah - cheats would be worth putting in; I think the voice on this board has been pro-cheats, so it's been put on the list. I can't see it happening for a long time though - there's much bigger things we want to put in if we have time that are first on the list.
VashuTStampedo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
The fundamental problem is that nothing is easy to implement, because it always has unexpected knock on effects.

As an example, the recent equipment addition to the Aegis slotted in with relative ease, yet it still came up with a minor (not game breaking though)problem of using multiple gravity beams and having them fight over gems (already fixed for a point release).

I'm not trying to give excuses for why we would not do something though, just trying to explain that nothing is as easy as anyone thinks. I'm sure any programmer will tell you they dread hearing the words 'this should be an easy thing to do' from a non programmer (as an artist in the game's industry, one of the first things I learned was not to say that to programmers - they have enough stress as it is Very Happy )

Cheats (off the top of my head) would require:

• The set of cheats implementing (obvious this, sorry!)
  • High score invalidation, which may need support from all modules that mess with the score in any way.
  • Altering of the save code (Mere mention of that makes Poo Bear cry)
  • Very long testing period to be certain they don't break and aren't ever accidentally turned on (Imagine how annoyed with us you'd be if you accidentally or though a bug invalidated your high score?)

Based on just the above (and there'd be more than just that) I would immediately say it's something you would want to put in a bigger release, because there's no point testing the game for an extended period of time for such a small release.

Hope that gets across what a pain even the smallest task ends up being when you have a ton of code for it to work with. It's lucky we love our work so much, and it's such fun to add these features Very Happy

You can eliminate the bottom 3 by making a option for "Unranked" game modes. Cheat codes are permissable in this mode, but score's never counted on any boards. The games I can think of off the top of my head (starcraft comes heavily to mind) implement some form of this. Elaborating on Starcraft: Single player, no matter what you do, doesn't count for diddly squat other than scout's honor that you didn't cheat when you say you beat the campaigns (maybe just blacksheepwall ... damned computers knowing your exact movements. Cheaters I say!). Multiplayer, cheats are disabled. And you can gain titles with any win on any map, but ranking is only sanctioned on Ladder maps. No comp-stomping to up your score for you!

Cause honestly, if you're trying to get a score up there, I don't think anyone would mind that the mode their playing disables cheats. Well, except for actual cheaters. And people that would steal from old ladies. Cheats are for beating the single player for the storyline. Cause you suck. (Yes, I suck too, don't worry. Poor Jameson has met many a death at my hand e_e)
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VashuTStampedo wrote:
You can eliminate the bottom 3 by making a option for "Unranked" game modes. Cheat codes are permissable in this mode, but score's never counted on any boards.

Isn't that what we were saying? We need the score to be invalidated once a cheat code is entered. I suppose we could eliminate the testing procedure by saying if you use cheat codes the game may crash. Although I think that might just defeat the point with Starscape, because the game WILL crash if we just put a cheat code in and don't test it.

Note, this is on the 1.6 list, but is right at the bottom of the priority queue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: