FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Old problem, new patch!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Developer
Pod Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure Starscape has all the ship directions pre-rendered, if capital ships had 30 or more direction frames instead of just one the download size would get alot bigger... which is bad for sales
Chibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butbutbut... Scaling vehicles for hyperspace isn't pre-rendered, is it? Hmm... What you need to do is have one image of each ship, at twice the size, and then resample them into RAM half as big, at the required angle. See, that's how you do it. Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

But how would you make an Aegis twice as large as it is now? Do you have all of this stuff in Freehand vector files? It all looks pretty vector based.
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all pre-rendered for lighting purposes only. The Sprites are on 3D quads anyway, so we can scale things up and down/ rotate them at will. However, when things rotate, we also store many frames so the lighting looks correct. The sprites actually are rotated to cover the angles between those frames, so the rotation is smooth, and the lighting is more like a sampled representation.

So, whilst we could spin the Aegis, or in fact any capitol ship, the lighting on them wouldn't change without adding lots of data.
Chibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
It's all pre-rendered for lighting purposes only.
So, whilst we could spin the Aegis, or in fact any capitol ship, the lighting on them wouldn't change without adding lots of data.

I'll play some more and think about this. There has to be a way. NormalMapping or something. *ponders*
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Magnulus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal mapping a sprite? Then why not just go all the way to 3D graphics? You're all over the place, Chibi.
Flumpaphone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not so sure about the gameplay advances that would be made by a rotating Aegis Wink byt it would look quite impressive if some off the bosses could rotate.

I would not prioritise it over the original point however. Drag and drop ship construction would be a huge improvement. Yet I would also put that low on my own wishlist; new enemies, ships and equipement or perhaps another race in the warp would be the most fun updates Smile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnulus wrote:
Normal mapping a sprite?

Bizzarely, I've seen this done in a tech demo for a game that looked a lot like Starscape. The end result looked like a bad ray-trace, because of jet black shadows, but that could be improved with more lights so it's a valid technique.

Problem is, you have no fallback with this method - goodbye anyone without Pixel Shader 2(?) cards. 3D would probably be a better option - then you have the ability to turn off shadowing/normalling mapping etc, if you have an older card, but still get some form of lighting based off vertex normals.
Hamish
Pod Developer
Pod Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working on a spaceship game like starscape with normal mapped sprites for a bit, it looked nice with some tweaking. Maybe it was the same thing? But seeing spaceships are all angular and non-animated it's probably better to make them fully 3D.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamish wrote:
Maybe it was the same thing?

Ahh, I'd forgotten about that one - I didn't know it used normal mapped sprites. Any screenshots knocking around still for that?

The demo I'm thinking of is one that a programmer friend of ours had put together - it was just a tech demo, and not intended to become any kind of game. I'll see if I can find it...
Hamish
Pod Developer
Pod Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just starting to do some normal mapped sprites for it when we had to scrap it cause I joined up here at Moonpod to do WA, but the white ship in most of these shots is normal mapped (need to refresh to get a new image) - http://www.hamishmcleod.com/ben/spaceshipshots/ and this one with two lights I think looks best http://www.hamishmcleod.com/planets.jpg
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that looks really nice. Lighting there seems to be working much better than the demo I was talking about. Oddly enough, the end result looks just like a 3D model though don't you think? I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to cut out people with older hardware when you could go 3D and have all the versatality that would provide, yet still support older cards.

Then again, I bet a lot of people would LOVE modding a game where you can add your own ships without using a 3D program. Smile
Chibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flumpaphone wrote:
but it would look quite impressive if some off the bosses could rotate.

And the easiest way to do this is to have a jet-black sphere-shaped boss, with turret/cannon emplacements somewhat similar to the aegis's own turrets. The trick is that Jet Black Sphere doesn't actually rotate at all, the turrets/cannons do. The reason being that the cannons would need time to recharge, so the next one spins into place (closest to it's enemies) and fires.

That might be a scary boss... One Aegis-type cannon ready at all times to blast away your Avenger.
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: