FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
What's wrong with the end of survival...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: What's wrong with the end of survival... Reply with quote

I know it's been discussed before... something needs to be done to "beef up" the end of unlimited survival mode, somehow. Rumor has it something might be done in the 1.6 patch. What, exactly, should this "something" be?

In order to find a solution, first we must clearly identify the problem. What exactly is wrong with survival? Why isn't it as fun as it could be? What *should* survival mode be like?

I point to 3 events that hurt survival:

1) Usually, by about 9 minutes in, I have the biggest baddest ship I can get. From that point on, there's nothing more to upgrade to -- all I'm saving for is the ability to repair and buy ammo.

2) at the 12-minute mark, all of a sudden, stuff stops dropping minerals in the amounts they were dropped before. Instead of getting 30-50 mins worth of drops from your average cap ship, you get 5-6 mins worth. (Fighters don't drop anything if you're fully upgraded.) This means the vast majority of minerals you will get during a survival game come in the first 12 minutes -- no matter how long the game lasts. If you make it to 12 minutes with a reserve of 200 mins you can repair about 6 times; if you make it with 900 mins you can repair 30 times. It might take another 20 minutes (or more) for that to actually play out, but for the most part, your fate was sealed by the size of your min stash at 12 minutes.

3) at about the 18-minute mark, worms start spawning in faster than they can be killed.

Fundamentally, each of these 3 events causes the same problem: a reduction in the variety of tasks, goals, or courses of action available to the player. When I've got the biggest baddest ship, there's nothing else to buy; that's IT. There's no more decision as to whether to repair or reload my ammo vs. upgrading; I just simply maintain what I have. And when the mineral drops suddenly slow to a trickle, mining is no longer a very worthwhile goal; I have X many repairs I can make for the rest of the game, and can only increase that by a small amount if I stay aggressive on the cap ships. And when the worms start to dominate the action, it becomes much more difficult to engage various other enemies -- it's not just that I can't fight them on perfect terms, but often, I can't even get on the same screen as them because there are 15 worms around. The action becomes, essentially, worm-driven.

How could the variety be increased?

Here are a few suggestions:

1) Don't make the minerals stop quite so sharply. Cap ships should still drop some interesting mins -- maybe not an info node and 3 packages and 20 big green blobs, but perhaps a single package and a small assortment of mins. Fighters should also occasionally drop stuff.

2) Add another ship or two to the end of the line, using made-up tech if you have to. If you can make a prowler with plasma torps, why not make a devastator with torpedo-drones or even lightning-drones? Now that shield 3's are better than shield 4's, why not make the top ship have shield 3's?

3) Instead of just ramping up the worms, keep the other stuff coming and use worms for variety. I saw a screenshot of a possible crazy-boss for survival. Add other boss-types that have cutting disks (like the zone 2 boss) or that shoot the occasional lightning bolt. Fighting them with even a few worms bearing down on you could be very difficult, but still far more interesting than "blast the worms blast the worms dodge the worms shoot the stuff behind the worms run from the worms shoot the guy on the far side of the screen run from the worms repeat"...

4) Mix up the late-survival minibosses. Give me 5 anti-warp guys at once, and then 3 anti-shield guys with 2 clamshells, and then 4 armored minelayers with 4 regular minelayers, and then 1 of each, and so on. Don't necessarily give them a big set of fighters, either -- fighting a bunch of minibosses and 3 worms with no fighters would be a new experience.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good suggestiong there, i'll make a note of them.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other stuff in this old thread.

I think the main problem always seem to be hitting the 'worm wall'. It was originally intended to be the finale, because the worms would always wipe the floor with you, but then people developed the perpetual retreat technique, and whilst that worked, it was not a lot of fun. End result - you have a manic game, it's really difficult, but you manage to make it to the final ship, then at some point, the worms start up, and you either fight them, or drag out the action by running away and picking off the occasional bit of worm.

I think everyone agreed that we need to make the latter technique into the less rewarding option, and not go so full on with worms quickly. Also, as a general rule, people don't feel completely satisfied when they get killed by worms.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
I think the main problem always seem to be hitting the 'worm wall'. It was originally intended to be the finale.... drag out the action by running away and picking off the occasional bit of worm.

I don't usually shoot at the worms, because:

- They're worth very few points. I leave clamshells alive and attack their wimpy-but-valuable fighter clouds whenever I can get a clear path to them.

- Headless worms are unpredictable. Predictable worms are easy to avoid; worms flying every which way and then coming at you from all sides are not so easy.

- Exploding worms tend to make other worms "bounce" and spread out. The more spread out they are, the more likely they are to cut off your escape route.

I do shoot at single worms that are blocking my escape path, and usually I'll be very aggressive about taking them out, but as long as the worms are busy just chasing me I don't care about them at all.

That's why the "worm wall" doesn't work the way it was intended -- worms don't make you die fast if you've learned how to herd them. They make it hard to shoot at whatever else is on the map, but they only kill you if you make the mistake of shooting them or if something else slows you down. So the "worm wall" turns into a very long worm chase that eventually will catch you when you make a mistake.

Quote:
I think everyone agreed that we need to make the latter technique into the less rewarding option, and not go so full on with worms quickly. Also, as a general rule, people don't feel completely satisfied when they get killed by worms.

Personally, I don't mind getting killed by worms. I think getting totally overwhelmed by dozens of worms at the end of survival is a good way to go, though I wouldn't mind having enough other threats that worms aren't the only thing to regularly kill me.

Turning down the worms can't be the whole solution. If that's all you do, it just delays the inevitable, but in the end, it's still the ridiculous wall of worms that get you. It just takes them longer to catch you.

-----

If you want a finale to wipe the floor with you, here are some alternative possibilities:

- have missile guys spawn in, one every few seconds, randomly across the map (bypassing normal limits on the number of fighters that can be on screen at once) right after the worms ramp up. Eventually enough missile guys will end up out in front of you that you'll get knocked back into the mass of chasing worms. In other words, the chase will end fairly quickly.

- make all (or perhaps just a percentage) of the worms in late-game survival always behave on their "drifting" AI instead of their "chasing" AI. This way you can't just run from the worms -- there will always be some out in front of you drifting and blocking the way.

- make some new bots that are even more dangerous, such as:
--- fighters just as fast as yours that shoot a spread of missiles and blasters. These could knock you around and do a fair bit of damage.
--- fast kamikaze fighters, kind of like mines but fast enough to actually occasionally hit you and strong enough that you can't wipe out a dozen of them just by sweeping your beams. Same as above.
--- fighters that spend most of their time wandering around (instead of flying as part of a little "herd") that just occasionally close and fire at you. These would tend to hit you from unexpected angles and get in your way.
--- new or upgraded minibosses -- say, pancake stacks with more layers, more sweeping beams (that cross each other like near the doors on the zone 3 boss), and longer range. These would just plain kick your butt if they got close.

- more minibosses, possibly with modified AI. Instead of 2 pancake stacks, throw 12 on the map. Or, put 6 or 7 antiwarp guys in and let them clog up space. Let half a dozen armored minelayers run around in their "I want to ram you" mode. Have a couple of gravity guys stuck on gravity mode so they'll throw off your flight path whenever you get close. This could be nasty even if there were only 4 worms chasing you, especially if once you dealt with one threat the next showed up. If you managed to make it through 12 pancake guys, next time make it 16, 20, and so on...

- start throwing worm-asteroids on the screen (spawning at the edges), and have them moving fast like they do in the zone 5 worm nodes. Trying to run from worms, dodge constantly spawning big-exploding rocks, AND fight a few fighters/cap ships would kill most pilots quickly. Again, if you managed to dodge the first few rocks, sending more after you would be nasty.

- fight all 5 bosses at once (and let the zone 5 boss spew fighters like there's no tomorrow.) The zone 3 boss is busy chasing you around while the zone 2 boss' cutting disks are blocking the way, and oh yeah, don't forget the zone 4 guy shooting those lines of stuff all over the place. And, geez, if you survive all of that, maybe "survival" should end with a screen that says "you survived!"

- keep turning up the amount of stuff on the screen, especially stuff that's worth a lot of points. Go from 50 fighters to 100 fighters to 150 fighters to 200 fighters and so on, as well as adding a few worms. My wife commented that she likes games where, if you survive the hard part, you get a lot of points. This would definitely qualify -- the longer you survive, the more fighters you'll be killing, so you'll rack up points REALLY fast. But you'll also die pretty fast.

Personally, my favorite options are either making some of the worms drift around, or pumping up the number of fighters until you get swarmed to death. The drifting worms make you really test your dodging skillz, while jacking up the number of fighters gives you the ability to score a TON more points the longer you survive. Doing both at once might be a really good option.
Max Gene

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh, if you did all that I'd personally hope you could set the difficulty of survivor to build up to it!
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those weren't suggestions to pile on top of each other... they were all alternates. Like, any ONE of them should do it for you. Pick the best and implement it (or, perhaps, combine two of them.)
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabe keep adding enemies until the computer crashes. So only the person with the strongest computer will survive. ZOMG secret message
starscape junkie

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple things i think could spice things up a bit:

Expanding on Lothar's gravity guys perma-stuck in grav mode idea, make it so after a certain point in the game when destroyed they create a gravity well which lasts for the remainder of the game. Within reason of course.

I personally love the swarming aspect of crimsonland survival as it becomes how long you can keep them at bay and how many you can take down before they get you after a certain point. I dont know if it would work so well with starscape due to the enemies firing stuff at you and if there would be any performance issues involved with a large swarm of arachnid, but it would be far more interesting than a mass of worms.

Maybe not all 5 bosses at once but have them jump in in quick sucseesion so that if you arent fast enough in defeating the first one, you now have 2 + whatever worms/ships/minibosses youve got going on.

Perhaps after youve maxed your ship out you could have the option to customize it via some sort of store interface when you press upgrade. Have a bunch of optional parts and a price list. Although this would require a decent amount of work and is probably not worth the effort for the result, i though i should throw it out there anyway.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have a really unsatisfying Survival death today:

ran into a purple mineral with my last little bit of hull. OUCH!
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

File that one under embarising deaths.
Reeunk Afterburner

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a crazy idea: make it winnable.

Like Kirk winning the Kobayashi thing, you're not "supposed" to win survival, but maybe if you're really good you break the rules and beat the game.

THAT would be a satisfying ending.
SethP

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reeunk Afterburner wrote:
Here's a crazy idea: make it winnable.

Like Kirk winning the Kobayashi thing, you're not "supposed" to win survival, but maybe if you're really good you break the rules and beat the game.

THAT would be a satisfying ending.

I feel like it'd be fairly simple to "reprogram the simulation" by finding a trainer that would allow you infinite shields/health.

Of course, then you'd get Spock all up in your grill.
myy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MYY

please help me wind dsquared2 boy said one longchamp outlet day, polo ralph lauren outlet online I kate spade outlet hear from you los angeles lakers jerseys I oakley sungalsses outlet love ralph lauren polos the hollister sound of cheap jerseys people coach outlet who oakley sungalsses outlet teach salomon you to be pelicans jersey able 49ers nfl jersey to speak timberwolves jersey the language birkenstock of my raiders nfl jersey desert adidas wind soul ralph lauren online shop boy michael kors replied lions nfl jersey that babyliss the stone island wind softball bats has many new york knicks jerseys names saints nfl jersey in coach outlet online this ravens nfl jersey place, which is mont blanc pens called the Sirocco, los angeles clippers jerseys because the Arabs believe fitflop that it came from rolex watches for sale the land coach outlet covered by nba jersey water, jaguars nfl jersey which burberry uk are michael kors home pandora jewelry to blacks. Boy distant homeland, retro jordans it the north face is burberry handbags called the giuseppe shoes Levant, cowboys nfl jersey because swarovski people prada handbags believe bengals nfl jersey it michael kors brings hollister a mlb jerseys desert bears nfl jersey of coach outlet sand spurs jersey and Moorish ray ban battle barbour jackets outlet cries. polo ralph lauren Perhaps burberry outlet in a more dolphins nfl jersey distant panthers nfl jersey fields nike mercurial of grazing horloges sheep, one would think that the converse sneakers wind blows womens clothing in Andalusia. air max However, tommy hilfiger wind ferragamo does not play new balance shoes in instyler any one north face place is bucks jersey not oakley limited iphone cases to oakley sunglasses outlet any giants nfl jersey one place, swarovski jewelry so skechers shoes it long champ is thomas sabo more longchamp outlet powerful than adidas tracksuits the desert. coach outlet online Someday, puma people are tommy hilfiger able to plant trees polo ralph in juicy couture can allow prada you louboutin and oakley sunglasses outlet I give oakley sunglasses up swarovski luxury, trail blazers jersey away lunette oakley from the ray ban hubbub, cheap jerseys like adidas yeezy shoes a nike mountain stream, as redskins nfl jersey guardian, north face backpacks silent nike air max love, loving mcm handbags flowers waiting bcbg dresses for nike free a quiet chargers nfl jersey beauty, polo ralph lauren ecological nike free plot nike store together raptors jersey better living adidas shoes environment? michael kors If polo outlet you true religion outlet store can, please promise me, like marc jacobs a ralph lauren outlet river ecco shoes clean steelers nfl jersey watch philipp plein outlet lovingly hollister mountains, grass smoothie skechers shoes outlet like salvatore ferragamo that, chrome hearts outlet simple huarache quiet life, reebok tranquil forward; natural seeding timberland boots in nike roshe a calm Ning Wen coach factory outlet Wanqing, giuseppe zanotti Shizumori cloud dallas mavericks jersey water, the kate spade outlet equanimity, I oakley vault let prada sunglasses you freely in the air max shoes blue tory burch outlet sky breathing, five finger shoes totem! vans Spring oakley sungalsses outlet deep place ray ban I suns jersey do not pacers jersey know, soccer shoes outlet a burberry touch jimmy choo shoes long burberry outlet stream michael kors bags flow. Screenshot levi's jeans touch air max 2015 of coach outlet sweet asics outlet flowers, rolex watches willing adidas gorgeous scarpe hogan bloom barbour jacket outlet in nature, so tempting soccer outlet arms patriots nfl jersey brilliant mind, warriors jersey Xu north face Li true religion jeans outlet Kangan michael kors usa gas occhiali ray ban in the woolrich outlet new body, longchamp black friday long ray ban sunglasses outlet far nike huarache Ju denver nuggets jersey a cheap true religion handful north face jackets of new balance clear streams michael kors outlet warm designer handbags heart, coach factory outlet online the oakley sunglasses cheap inhaled gas exhaled;. A philipp plein Species thread ralph lauren spring converse in longchamp mind, let michael kors outlet love the north face outlet in Life is kings jersey a michael kors outlet never-ending christian louboutin shoes journey oklahoma city thunder jerseys through oakley outlet online some hollister clothing store wonderful, rolex watches some coach factory outlet rough nike roshe Ke Hum, nike store and ray ban sunglasses my life, flying all jimmy choo the way! basketball shoes While air max not exciting, memorable polo ralph lauren outlet enough! People are nike shoes outlet yearning tn pas cher for swarovski a meteoric coach outlet online rise, true religion meteoric rise adidas in life, adidas do ray ban you not packers nfl jersey know the air force way michael kors outlet online eloquent, mcm backpack I pandora jewellery love you nike air Shannon burberry canada is also a supreme level. And michael kors my nike shoes outlet life is jordan release dates so! Even if not beautiful mcm bags and cheap shoes seductive, pandora but the jazz jersey way nike air max of atmosphere, the northface scenery along the way michael kors outlet is enough ralph lauren to make nike shoes outlet you nike enjoy eyeglass frames endless. browns nfl jersey While not buccaneers nfl jersey asking rams nfl jersey for the moon, though cheap oakley not into the sky, christian louboutin shoes while ray bans the oakley sunglasses outlet middle cheap ray ban part hilfiger online shop of twists ray ban and turns, cheap jerseys bustling, burberry outlet too adorable! michael kors outlet This life, ferragamo uk it was adidas schuhe jealousy, it mcm handbags was longchamp handbags envy. ray ban Jealous celine handbags of my new balance life is so cheerful! cheap jordans I christian louboutin envy ferragamo shoes the versace outlet pace is so fly nike factory Jian! reebok shoes My tommy hilfiger life, flying bills nfl jersey all the the north face way! hollisterco To roshe runs say asics is fate! birkenstock outlet It nets jerseys goes timberland well, rolex montre but also crooked; swarovski canada it twists coach black friday and jordan turns, mbt shoes they thomas sabo still detroit pistons jerseys flew jets nfl jersey quickly. Midway There supra shoes are coach outlet usa many lacoste outlet memorials, vikings nfl jersey villain polo outlet online obstruction, prada outlet there new balance outlet are corrupt resistance. birkenstock Suffering omega watches does ray ban not burberry outlet online exclude these, calvin klein how you air huarache can travel orlando magic jersey on the nike sea? michael kors outlet online How fred perry outlet flying all air max the boston celtics jerseys way? For ray ban me oakley sungalsses outlet the handbags outlet bottom barbour of a adidas people, roshe run be quick north face outlet degrees, can red bottoms be iphone case described as colts nfl jersey lucky! Although oakley black friday I true religion jeans did ralph lauren outlet not michael kors outlet online sale complete coach black friday the nike free run last chiefs nfl jersey mission now, hollister clothing because ralph lauren polo travel is not over soccer shoes yet. bcbg max I'm still on michael kors uk the hogan road handbags outlet flew, roshe run I pandora still vans wander the landscape. prada shoes In flat iron fact, coach outlet the skechers twists hollister clothing store and vans shoes turns of converse shoes life under armour is beats by dre not nike a ralph lauren outlet online kind air max of nfl jerseys beauty? valentino People say, atlanta hawks jersey infinite in ralph lauren the awesome scenery! mk outlet online I uhren think barbour jackets this is ray ban wayfarer a kind of aesthetic tory burch sandals realm! hogan shoes Mediocre is michaelkors.com not beautiful hilfiger life. new balance Only nike roshe run bitter, tired, omega watches it felt michael kors handbags sweet ralph lauren life. oakley sungalsses outlet I believe, puma shoes at beats by dre headphones the end of life, beats by dr dre it burberry outlet online is longchamp handbags outlet when I nhl jerseys the beautiful michael kors uk scenery. juicy couture outlet At armani exchange that converse time, michael kors outlet when hermes birkin is nike my hugo boss online glory. watches I coach outlet store would jordan retro like bottega to contaminated ed hardy dust michael kors outlet on oakley vault the tommy hilfiger outlet road ralph lauren factory store and are willing ralph lauren to fred perry enjoy the houston rockets jersey scenery on the way. At hermes least there christian louboutin outlet are simple seahawks nfl jersey ideas, have cheap mlb jerseys experience in ralph lauren uk the hoodies outlet struggle. the north face jackets We do chi flat iron not cheap oakley sunglasses undergo cheap nhl jerseys soil, texans nfl jersey how burberry to dsquared2 outlet know cheap nike shoes human titans nfl jersey suffering? nike store Do nike air max not michael kors experience cleveland cavaliers jersey the experience along swarovski crystal the ray ban black friday way, michael kors it turns bottega veneta out the replica handbags world's pandora uk dangerous? Jing miami heat jerseys spine through the cheap nfl jerseys ups grizzlies jersey and hilfiger outlet downs, marc jacobs to christian louboutin get nike air genuine talent mcm backpack outlet they ray ban outlet need to get pandora charms the baseball bats right michael kors outlet position falcons nfl jersey they charlotte hornets jersey need. nike free run Therefore, nike free 5.0 the burberry twists and ray ban sunglasses outlet turns for me, barbour jackets is coachfactory.com/shop a eagles nfl jersey great beauty adidas shoes in life, fendi outlet life coach purses outlet is oakley outlet a relojes wonderful story. nfl jerseys There philadelphia 76ers jersey is eyeglasses online the true religion outlet life chicago bulls jerseys story air max 2015 of a dansko shoes perfect rolex watches life! Flying longchamp life is christian louboutin largely a air jordans qualitative replica watches leap! nike canada Leap, nike air max is progress. And oakley sunglasses outlet I burberry handbags outlet was ray ban sunglasses to hermes outlet survive the michael kors bags leap in beats headphones progress in azcardinals nfl jersey the front timberland shoes row. burberry uk Midway jordan shoes mantis, wizards jersey bugs, salvatore ferragamo ants, ray-ban sunglasses cinch! ralph lauren Great michael kors australia risk, nike of course, supra shoes need versace outlet to air max 90 adjust, mizuno running need timberland outlet to givenchy antigona integrate. fidget spinner As kate spade you nba shoes know, the

broncos nfl jersey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: