FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
starscape going mac / open source
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: starscape going mac / open source Reply with quote

Hi,

I just wanted to check how the mac port is going Smile. I read in one of the threads that it came to a halt somewhen in 2004, is there any chance of it being done any time soon?

And if not, is there any chance of starscape being released as open source? So I can get started on the port Wink (don't know whether I would have the time for this, but I definitely would give it a try).
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: starscape going mac / open source Reply with quote

ceo2 wrote:
I just wanted to check how the mac port is going Smile

Ahh, I always dread this question Sad

The short answer:
it's dead in the water.
The long answer: At one point, we were so confident of Starscape's release on Mac os we even advertised for beta testers. However, it took longer, much longer than we expected - despite making all the right decisions - SDL and OpenGL etc. It got to the point where we had Starscape running on a Mac, minus sound and controller support, but by this time we had been desperate to get the programmer working on it back on other things, and so development stopped and was never restarted. Since then, that programmer has moved on to other things, and the Mac codebase is so out of date compared to the PC version that it's basically useless. If Mark were to start work on mac version now, I think he'd basically be starting from scratch.

It deeply upsets me that we got so close but never got a Mac version finished. Things don't look to great in the future either - now we are two people, (myself doing the art, and Mark doing the programming), we don't have much free time to work on side projects like mac conversions. Who knows though - maybe if we make enough money from Mr. Ronot, there'll be an opportunity to contract someone in. I'm really keen to get a mac mini in once we finish Mr. Robot, so there's always a chance Mark will start tinkering with it Smile

ceo2 wrote:
And if not, is there any chance of starscape being released as open source?

Ha!, well, I wouldn't rule it out some time far in the future if we weren't reliant on it for an income, but in the near future, that would probably be suicide for Moonpod - sorry!.

Incidentally, what do you think of the new boot camp feature on intel Macs? Mac owners I know seem to think it will mean more people using MacOs, but I'm not sure if it won't go the other way. I'm pretty sure there'll be low>no incentive for mainstream games companies to do conversions now, but of course than doesn't have to apply to us - we can do our own thing.
ceo2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the fast and comprehensive answer Smile .

I didn't know that games would sell so long, since starscape has been around some years now (didn't check exactly though). But then again, warzone 2100 wasn't released OS until recently ... I just thought that usually old games lay around a long time until one guy reads "OS" again somewhere and remembers this game: "hey, we could do that with that old game, some people would cry tears of joy".

Anyway, considering bootcamp, I have to say I'm maybe a bit of an idealistic guy. I try to get rid of windows since a long time, started with linux and are now with mac os x (it's a lot easier, I don't like tinkering _that_ much Smile ). I wouldn't want to boot windows on a shiny mac (my mac is actually one of the "old" ppc ones, so that's no option for me anyway). I think that a lot of mac people are in a way like me, that they wouldn't want windows one the same machine as mac os x or wouldn't want to use it at all if possible. But that's only my guessing from a german mac user message board. I personally would rather buy an extra machine with windows to play games then having a dual boot machine, I think, since a lot of games are not ported anyway. And it's better containment Smile.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceo2 wrote:
I just thought that usually old games lay around a long time until one guy reads "OS" again somewhere and remembers this game: "hey, we could do that with that old game, some people would cry tears of joy".

I think you are basing your comments on mainstream development - where there's a window of opportunity to sell of around 3 months (if you are lucky!). Indie games can do something different and they can keep going and be supported well into the future because the teams that made them aren't constrained by the way retail sales work. In addition a game like Starscape is timeless anyway - when it was released, mainstream development had given up on 2D, so it's not like we can go out of date Smile

As for open sourced games - I think that's been pretty rare certainly has never been the natural coursing of a game's life. Out of the games that have gone that route, I can't count past one hand the ones that I've been really impressed with how they've started to evolve with the help of the o-s community.

I applaud the efforts and sensibilites of those people, but I think you get the best results when the original developers stay involved as long as they can (even indefinitely if possible). Examples of this are few and far between, although Blizzard spring to mind. This is one area where indies can really shine though.

Now, I'm not saying we at Moonpod have managed to pull that off particularly well Smile Whilst we have made lots of incremental updates to Starscape, and will continue to do so, it was written in a way that makes it very difficult to extend. Not a day goes by lately where we don't discuss this. Mr. Robot is another step in the right direction, and should be fairly easy at the least to add new rooms to. The game we are making after it will be going much, much further in allowing us to extend it post release and well into the future.

As for Macs and boot camp - I'm hoping the Mac games market remains at least at the level it currently is and doesn't suffer - we would like to dive into at if we get the chance.
Zippo342

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Examples of this are few and far between, although Blizzard spring to mind. This is one area where indies can really shine though.

Yes, I remember when Warcraft first came out, was an awesome start to a great company. Now though, they seem to have settled on just focusing on MMORPGs instead of making new content for some of their other franchises. (Atleast I see no other progress. When was it they promised Starcraft 2?)

This however leaves a small gap in the economy in my oppinion for another small company to fill the hole that they left behind. This company is one of the ones that has promise in that regard. Good luck Smile
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but they are working on world of starcraft which will be 10000000000000 times better Laughing
Zippo342

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I'm sure. I've already had to recover my soul from the devourer of social lives that is EQ. Never again... I'd rather a game I can play for a few hours with friends, and set down so I can get stuff done, or go out to see a movie or something. Maybe even explore Germany now that I'm out here. (Coincidentally, when I landed out here, looking out the plane window I had the revelation, "Oh my god, I've landed in my mother's Christmas village!")
Ripdog

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icarus: You do realise that world of starcraft was jsut a gamespot april fools joke?
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripdog: do you understand scarcasm
Magnulus

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you were using irony rather than sarcasm in that instance, but fair 'nough. It was easy to spot anyway.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually sarcasm is a form of irony.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I know. But what you said wasn't that form of irony, ie. a scathing remark meant to poke fun at the person towards whom the sarcasm was directed.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought sarcasm is when you tell someone something that both partys know isn't true.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's your basic irony.

dictionary.com says:
sar·casm P Pronunciation Key (särkzm)
A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

Just so we get that cleared up.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't 'irony' like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: