FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
May-06: The Sentinel Returns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Developer Diary View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Moonpod Developer Diary RSS feed -RSS Feed
DogBoy
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dove wrote:
LOL - I just noticed this. All the Starscape Jedi appear to also be programmers! I know Lothar and I are--I work as a software engineer, he has a CS degree. And I see that Weeble and Dogboy are, too. I think I'm missing somebody, but that's still funny. Laughing

Hey!!! I only *used* to be a programmer Wink
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DogBoy wrote:
Dove wrote:
LOL - I just noticed this. All the Starscape Jedi appear to also be programmers! I know Lothar and I are--I work as a software engineer, he has a CS degree. And I see that Weeble and Dogboy are, too. I think I'm missing somebody, but that's still funny. Laughing

Hey!!! I only *used* to be a programmer Wink

You might not be a professional programmer any more, but unless you've suffered serious brain damage, you're probably still a programmer.
imadoki

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the design paradigm of a script being executed every frame is how "my intuition" for games would work. Maybe because I have worked on a few games and that is why the paradigm seems to be a better idea.

Also, state based execution is easier to understand "cognitively" than the wait (300) and all that ****.

With a script being executed on every frame, or counter or whatever gives the programmer amazing control.

Also, you could make an execute some scripts only x times a second, say at 10Hz or something, or even at every 2 or 5 seconds. This way, the scripts executed at every 5 seconds could be used for garbage collection, clearing up the game space of debris left, or checking whether the parameters for victory have been achieved or to perform any non time critical functions.
BluePhoenix

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a simple set up like the StarEdit proggy for stcraft would be sufficient. A set up with commands that represent other commands and the conditions under which to execute them.
imadoki

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just looked at some previous threads regarding Mr. Robot. The 1st thread regarding Mr.Robot was created on Oct 25 2004. So, if we take that as the official date development on Mr.Robot began, then it means, Mr.Robot has been in development for 1 year 5 months. On May 25th, it will be 1 year 6 months. Shocked

It has been an exciting 17-18 months seeing how Mr. Robot went from concept to almost being done.

Keep up the great work!
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, don't copy the scripting in StarEdit. It's painful to use for anything even vaguely complicated/interesting. You have to do the same thing a million times and you can't even copy and paste. If you want to copy something, try The Games Factory, or whatever they're calling it these days. I remember really liking their event editing system back when it was Klik 'n' Play.
BluePhoenix

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, okay, obviously ot exactly like staredit. loops and such would have to be accounted for. Lie how all you had to say was create A number of B unit at C location rather than something like:
for (int i = 0; i<10; i++)
{
createAsimovClone(x+i, y+i, z+i);
}

In that the staredit version it would automatically deal with the plaing so that you didn't have to explicitly state the location of each and every unit created.

That sort of similarity that made it overall easier to use, though I suppose you could just have createAsimoveClones(A, x,y,z) or even
createUnits(B, A, x, y, z) would work I guess, thuogh being able to set zones was mighty useful sometimes, though that would probably be something that they would add cause I doubt they use a system like that for events.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imadoki wrote:
Mr.Robot has been in development for 1 year 5 months. On May 25th, it will be 1 year 6 months.

It's actually much longer than that, but it's difficult to give you an exact time. Here at Moonpod, we are always prototyping different ideas, and so we have a couple of little mini-game concepts knocking around. We call Friday afternoon 'lab time' - where we knock ideas about in our 'game lab'. Usually we'll be working on something or other over a couple of 'labs', and some ideas get further than others. Some even pre-date Moonpod as game ideas (I have to point out here, that Poo Bear, as well as being a programmer, is a truly inspiring game designer - if he'd been given carte blanche at a mainstream studio I'm sure he'd have come up with something completely jaw dropping!). Mr. Robot started a long time ago as a purely 2D, isometric tile based game idea. Later it became a prototype 3D engine test, and was one of a handful of prototypes we decided to take a bit further. When we decided to pause Battlescape and needed a game that would work perfectly within the constraints of our in progress 3D engine, Mr. Robot fit like a glove...
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imadoki wrote:
Also, you could make an execute some scripts only x times a second, say at 10Hz or something, or even at every 2 or 5 seconds.

Because of the type of game Mr. Robot is - there's no issue whatsoever with lua performance. That is worth thinking about when perhaps you are running game AI via script, but with Mr. Robot you are only really setting up conversation and more complicated sets of interactions in the rooms. Simplest example would be a switch opening a door, but you can control pretty much anything the game does - move objects around, activate enemies etc.

For a lot of things you don't even need script though. Lots of objects have parameters you can set on them -moving platforms for instance can be set up this way.
Doom III

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we just get the editor in our hands

man i cant even spell right so scriptings out the picture Smile but i can make quake levels

dyou think mr robot edit is easier to use than worldcraft Idea
imadoki

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I already mentioned that you guys are doing an excellent job? Very Happy Well, you guys truly are... You guys deserve a little break and some beer. Have you guys ever tried malt beer like Singha (it is Thai). Anyway, kudos and a virtual "cheers" (proceeds to toast the screen with his half empty bottle of beer).
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imadoki wrote:
Have you guys ever tried malt beer like Singha

Oh yeah, Singha would make my top 5 any day! It's a little difficult to get hold of in Sheffield though as the only place that used to stock it was bought up by someone else and now doesn't sell it. Where I used to live there was a really great Thai restaurant and that's where I first had some. I think Erdinger is still number one though!
imadoki

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of Erdinger till now. Checked it out on Google. Can't wait to search for it at my local liquer store. I really hope they have it. Hey, sorry for turning a respectable game development site into a site of debauchary (by discussing alcohol.) Shame on me.

Back to Mr.Robot. Can you guys atleast release a small alpha demo or something with a small level or something. I really can't stand the wait anymore. I just have this terrible need to use the mouse or cursor keys to navigate/move Mr. Robot around. Plz, plz, plz. Embarassed
Magnulus

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You call that debauchery? Then be glad I've been able to keep myself in check on this forum. Very Happy

No, I severely doubt they'll give you an alpha to play with. Would you ask Blizzard for an alpha of Starcraft 2 and expect to even have your question answered?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big problem for an indie, is that you are so time constrained that the game is never 100% working until very close to the end. We are always using various workaround for missing elements. You actually get so used to them that your imagination automatically fills in the blanks and it becomes possible to get a feel for what the game will be like.

So, even an alpha with one room would be missing some stuff! Probably best to wait until beta - although I've never understood people who enjoy betas, they are invariably not that much fun, because various things break and ruin the experience of the game! Although we do know someone who really enjoys finding bugs and makes a game out of that Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Developer Diary All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: