FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Beat the game on "Normal"...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Beat the game on "Normal"... Reply with quote

...using only the Runabout hull.

One I built myself, equipped with Engine 1, Generator 1, Grav Beam 3, two Blaster 2's and a Battery 1. Sort of vaguely managed a Scavenger game (no building anything) on levels 1 to 3, but cheated by building myself a Grav Beam 2. At some point later on I realised I just wasn't going to survive unless I actually built the Aegis a Cannon 3.

I headed straight for the mining ships and the Boss wherever possible on the warp map. Sometimes I had to hang around a bit to take out the capital ships one by one in chunks.

Had to save and reload quite a lot though, mostly on Levels 4 & 5. The baddies on those levels don't die very easily to 4 blasters or a maxed-out Aegis. However, they helped matters somewhat by forming big clusters as I scooted around them and then blowing up in chain reactions when I managed to take one out. The enemy missile boats also took down plenty of their own fighters.

Most of the bosses were surprisingly manageable, although obviously the Final Boss was nasty. The sheer tininess of the Runabout hull meant that it could avoid most of the Boss weapons with consummate ease. And the Aegis could usually come in to repair / mop things up at the end.

Is this the feeblest ship anyone has completed the game with? Or has anyone actually managed to complete the game with the default hull? I know I have managed to complete Level 1 using only the default hull and I suspect Level 2 would be doable, but after that... ouch!

I would not want to try this on "Hard"!

The (relative) ease of the first 2 (3?) levels using the Runabout suggests to me that the "Hard" game would still be winnable if you started without the Prowler hull and had to research it!

It's a real blast playing only with the Runabout hull and it made me wish that it was more feasible to do without constant save / reload. Unfortunately I think the only way for this to happen would be if the Aegis was better at looking after itself on Levels 4 and 5.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! I think that's the first runabout-only game played.

I've beaten the first 2 zones in a default runabout, but never beyond that.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Beat the game on "Normal"... Reply with quote

DogBoy wrote:
...using only the Runabout hull.

Wow. Post a screen grab or three to verify this mighty achievement (or just email some to supportATmoonpod.com and we'll host it for you). Then all can marvel at your power. Maybe a shot of your ship config, a shot of you in zone5 and one of the hall of fame. This may even warrant Jedi status if verified. Smile
DogBoy
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooooo!!!!!

In a fit of housecleaning zeal this morning I was purging my computer of unneeded files and accidentally deleted the Starscape directory (what was it doing in "My Documents"?!!!). An undelete utility is running as I type, but it is scanning my entire disk for undeleted files and it looks like it might take a while. I blame the fact that it took me all night on Sunday to accomplish the feat in the first place and my brain is still addled.

In the event that I can't undelete my Starscape files I suppose I'm going to have to grit my teeth and
just
do
it
all
over
again
to prove I am not a faker. If I have to do that, I will make sure that this time round I only build one hull the whole game.

But I'm not going to stay up all night again.
Watch this space Sad
DogBoy
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Right... Reply with quote

...the undelete utility can't find the files. I am turning round and preparing for a second (more leisurely) run.

There is no try. There is only do, or not do.

Smile
DogBoy
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Today's progress... Reply with quote

It took me a couple of hours with save and reload, but today I beat Levels 1 and 3 using the default hull.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
It turns out that if you go straight to the mining ship on Level 1 and take out the Boss, then head immediately to Level 3, you can nip in to the penultimate Level 3 Node before very many enemy ships have been built. It took me 3 mining ships before I got the Boss coordinates on Level 3 though.

So far I haven't built anything at all and I have only researched Aegis upgrades, Blaster 2 and Grav Beam 2. Enemies have helpfully dropped two Turret 2s, a Scoop, a Cannon 1 and a Turret 1, so with any luck by the end of Level 2 the Aegis should be fairly well kitted out. They haven't dropped any Blaster 2s or Grav Beam 2s yet.

Somehow I doubt it is a great idea to skip Level 2 and go straight to Level 4.

That's enough for tonight! More on this later.
DogBoy
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I couldn't resist it. Last night I played for another half hour and wiped out Level 2 (again with only the default hull and scavenging) - up to but not including the Boss. That is, I spent about 15-20 minutes destroying everything on Level 2 and another 10-15 minutes trying unsuccessfully to kill the Boss with my default hull before calling it a night. But if Lothar can do it, I'm determined to follow through!

Those cutting discs are a right pain in the fundament - they take forever to kill when all you have is a single Blaster 1 and a limited supply of rockets.

On the plus side, I am now the proud owner of a scavenged Cannon 2. Turns out the reason I hadn't picked up any Blaster 2s was that I hadn't researched them. D'oh!

Don't know if I'll have time to play again tonight. Watch this space though!
DogBoy
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Boss 2

Well what do you know? It turns out that the Aegis's Cannon 2 makes light work of those cutting discs. I only needed my runabout to nip in and unload its supply of rockets a few times and the Boss was history.

I have now beaten Levels 1-3 using only the default hull (and Save & Reload Razz). Go me!
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proof of the pudding:

DogBoy
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Minor Setback Reply with quote

I got too big for my boots. Last night I spent a couple of hours trying to beat Zone 4 using the default hull on scavenger. I think I can now say I'm not up to that task! The default hull can take out most capital ships in one or two runs, and a mining barge in three or four runs if you're careful, but the big problem is all the fighters spewing out of the various bigger ships. On earlier Zones you can handle this by jumping out periodically and re-entering so that the fighters are inside their carriers, but from Zone 4 onwards you can't always do that.

My plan now is to revert to an earlier save and make a custom runabout fighter to carry me through Zones 4 and 5. Also, I will stop messing about with scavenging, and build the Aegis some decent weaponry. I know I can beat Zones 4 and 5 if I do both those things. If possible I'll stick to the default fighter for Boss fights; the Zone 4 Boss at least should be straightforward.

Next update, not before Sunday.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... one of my key strategies for Scavenger mode:

Do the zones in this order: 1 3 2 4 5 or 1 3 4 2 5, depending on what drops you get. Basically, use zone 2 to get the higher-tech drops after you've researched things like engine 4's and cannon 3's.
DogBoy
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Right, I did what I said - reverted the game to an earlier save, beefed up the Aegis and took Zone 4 using a custom ship. With 2 x Blaster 2s you actually have a sporting chance of destroying the huge swarms of hostile ships which come at you. For the Boss fight I left my custom ship in the hangar and took the default runabout - with a little mop-up help from the Aegis this fight was pretty easy.

Next, I fought my way across Zone 5 to the final node. Except that the mining ships I've destroyed aren't cooperating by dropping Boss coordinates. Once that happens, I expect it'll take me a few save & reloads to take the last Boss.

Build tally so far:

1 x runabout hull
4 x Turret 3
1 x Cannon 3

Research tally so far:

Turrets up to 3, Cannon up to 3
Blaster 2
Grav Beam up to 3

No crew retrieved
No extra technologies unlocked
DogBoy
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Yesterday I spent the better part of an hour (with several save/reloads involved) thinning out the Zone 5 capital ships and taking down mining barges. Finally I got the all-essential coordinates. I'm a few jumps away from the final node so hopefully my next session should finish it all.

I'll have a go at taking out the Zone 5 Boss with the default runabout, but I expect I'll have to give in and use the custom hull.
The main problem will be the shoals of enemy fighters getting in the way of my ship. If I am lucky, my rockets will take out the fighter bays before the hostile fighters can do me much harm, and I can take my time picking off the smaller ships. The fact that the Aegis doesn't come in for Zone 5 means that there's not much room for error though.
DogBoy
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Victory is Mine! Reply with quote

I made a few attempts at the Zone 5 Boss using the default runabout. It may be possible in principle, but I certainly wasn't having any luck. On one of my numerous reloads I launched my custom ship by mistake, and impulsively decided to finish it all there and then. Which I did.

Taking out the fighter bays is the biggest challenge. After that, the fighters can be picked off at your leisure. In an unshielded runabout, the Boss itself is just a matter of patience (dodging its guns is ludicrously easy).
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turns out, the boss only launches a limited number of fighters, so in theory if you can fight off a thousand (or whatever it is) fighters, eventually you'll just have the boss to contend with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: