FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Graphics issue
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Graphics issue Reply with quote

I currently have the demo version of starscape and I am encountering some graphical issues. Some of the colors seem skewed and text often does not show up. I noticed this after installing a new graphix card. I tried installing the latest driver at their website, and after uninstalling the old drivers, I noticed it came back to normal. the game returned to it's glitchy state after I installed the new driver.

sys specs:
windows XP
1.14GHz AMD Athalon processor
256Mb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 "128Mb DDR" <--- Probably the important stuff

Before I invest in a full version, I would like to make sure that it would work first.
Doom III

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am sure moonpod will reply soon too but i thought id say that i have an identical set up to you and upgraded drivers the other day -- just tried starscape and it works ok

i guess thas a bit annoying to know but i wondered if maybe something went wrong with the installer for the graphics card. had a problem with mine when i installed it after an old radeon because the old drivers were not completely uninstalled

Last edited by Doom III on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Rup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the settings menu (look for 'alter configuration' in the Starscape menu folder) where you can swap between OpenGL and Direct3D renderers, and on the advanced options there's 'safe' and 'ultra-safe' modes you can try.

But yeah it sounds like there might be something left over from the old graphics card. Do other games work OK? I've had to roll back to older nvidia drivers in the past though.
Doom III

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rup wrote:
I've had to roll back to older nvidia drivers in the past though.

me too and some times for different games

actually i just checked and my driver is the latest WHQL one not the latest latest one

sometimes its best to only get the whql ones
Ardent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried fiddling with the settings, and it only seemed to make it worse. OpenGL actually blacked out the screen, and I could not exit, since i didnt know where the cursor or exit button were.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely sounds like an nVidia driver bug, this is not as unusual as it sounds and they normally have a new driver out soon after. The older nVidia cards tend to suffer the most. I'd put the old driver on and then wait for an update before putting the new one on.
Ardent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a good idea. mind directing me to one that works?
Rup

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 81.85, which is a WHQL driver from last October (but on a 6800). Previous WHQL drivers were 77.72 from June and 71.84 from last March.

WHQL means they were tested by Windows Hardware Quality Labs on all the cards the drivers claim to support - so they ought to be a good bet. However, the latest 81.98 are WHQL too :-/
Doom III

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i have the latest whql one and i didnt realize it was the very latest driver>

hey are you sure no other game has problem cas i have exact same setup as you except slightly faster athlon xp Rolling Eyes
Ardent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've given me many choices, which one should I choose? is one better for a certain grafix card? which one would work with mine?

[edit] and no, as of yet, I have seen no problems with other games I have[/edit]
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally you go back in versions slowly until everything works, so I'd try the 81.85 version. Anything WHQL certified should be safe to try as it has Microsoft's seal of approval. I'm running the 81.98's on an FX5500 and see no problems.
Ardent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, do you think that there are settings that i can change to make it work? it doesnt seem to matter what drivers i have.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems very strange that it doesn't work, nvidia and Ati hardware have never been a problem for us. Just as a test, I installed the latest drivers on a machine I use that has a Geforce3 in it - ans it's fine.

any chance you could post or send us a picture of what looks wrong?

Other random 'clutching at straws' ideas:

Do you have any overrides set in the control panel? Stuff like anti-aliasing, mipmap filtering etc. Again, as far as we are aware, no known problems, but it could be something for us to test.

Maybe it's worth uninstalling the game and re-installing it? Or at least deleting the config file so it uses the default setup.

Perhaps there's an issue with this driver under other conditions? maybe you don't have XP service Pack 2 and directx9c? Seems unlikely, but the environment the driver runs under can influence it.

Very bizzare...
Ardent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i just got some pics, but I dont know how to post them. should I just photobucket them?

anyways, I'm not sure where to look for the aformentioned settings that you speak of, but I dont see how anything like that would be active
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ardent wrote:
well, i just got some pics, but I dont know how to post them. should I just photobucket them?

yeah, just post a link up.

Ardent wrote:
anyways, I'm not sure where to look for the aformentioned settings that you speak of, but I dont see how anything like that would be active

They are in the advanced display properties (right click on your desktop, and choose properties). Still, if you don't know where they are, it's unlikely you'll have set them in the first place. Oh well, it was a shot in the dark.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: