FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Mar-06: Shiny
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Developer Diary View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Moonpod Developer Diary RSS feed -RSS Feed
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konedima wrote:
but what multiple people want to use it on one pc?

Yes, that's already taken care of - when you start a game, you set up your name, along with your controller setup. It's kind of saves, but you only need to do it once at the beginning of the game, and then everything is taken care of by waypoints.
imadoki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, finally what I've been waiting for. Thank you. No more withdrawals for a while. Smile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticheese wrote:
And on a semi-related note based off JNG, Will Moonpod consider distributing Mr. Robot or War Angles via other online distributors? I would reccomend trying Totalgaming.net as an avenew for that.

Retail is of course an option, although extremely difficult to get deals for, particularly in Western territroies.
We've done betas with portals before for Starscape, but when it came down to it, we didn't get the impression they had a clue what to do with it. If you aren't promoted on the front page for a long time, then there's zero point in using portals because you'll make no money, and they inherently devalue what you are trying to do anyway.

That's a problem we've come across quite a lot- people don't 'get' Starscape unless they play it quite a lot - even just a few days ago, we were discussing the game with a very big name company, and we got the impression they didn't understand where it would fit. Part of me was thinking 'just play it!' but they'd already said they had. Even though that was clearly not true, it didn't seem worth upsetting them Smile

Still, we are open to offers, we just aren't rampant about pursuing those kinds of deals. If it's a good deal, we'll probably find it anyway, but 99% of stuff that gets sent our way just isn't worth it. I'd have thought Mr. Robot may fare better because 3D games are seen as far more saleable, although even that is a difficult product to pigeon-hole. War Angels is likely to suffer the same issues as Starscape, but we'll see what we can do with it.

One thing I've wanted to get sorted out for a long time, is getting an affiliate program up and running. That way, anyone can sell our games off their site. We could just set up our own, but then a lot of people like to use one of the major affiliate systems, and since Digital River just bought swreg (our payment processors) we are hoping it isn't long before the DR affiliate network is up and running with them. So you too could earn money selling Starscape Smile
Doom III

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am sure totalgaming would want starscape cuase they already have one game a bit like it

http://totalgaming.stardock.com/games/?id=DSPC

desperate space not in the same league as starscape either
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom III wrote:
i am sure totalgaming would want starscape cuase they already have one game a bit like it

Actually, that might be a pretty good reason not to have it - it competes with an existing product. Then again, I suppose that only affects the developers in question, not the portal, who benefits from another sale.
Doom III

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
it competes with an existing product.

no way Very Happy its no competition for starscape

not even in the same race Smile

ways - just keep making new games and i buy the from you direct

a always try that if i find the company that makes it>then you support the real devs and not just some grey suit.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say you should just keep advertising on Penny Arcade and making games they enjoy. Out of all free sales-boosters, I think "Tycho" and "Gabe's" acknowledgement must be the most potent. I wouldn't have checked out your site if it weren't for Tycho's glowing review along with their statement that they only let advertisers that tickle their own fancies put their ads up. Their advertising becomes something personal, and less likely to be ignored, I think.

So keep making those two guys happy, and you'll be happy in the long run yourselves.

I think, for instance, that Apple may have sold a few hundred more units of their Intel macs after Tycho ranted about how awesome his was. This is pure speculation, of course, but anyone who can prompt responses like the ones they got from SOE does have a certain amount of power in the gaming community. I mean, 1200 donuts? A whine-mail from the President of SOE? Because of a joke and a piece of criticism. Those two guys amaze me.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnulus wrote:
So keep making those two guys happy, and you'll be happy in the long run yourselves.

That was just blind luck really - they gave us a special rate to help us get going, basically because they liked the game. We'd never be able to afford their normal prices - with all the big mainstream companies clamouring for space on PA now, so we were really blessed at the time.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, though. A heck of a lot of people read their daily blurbs in addition to the comic itself. Be sure to send them a review copy. Very Happy
Anticheese

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me when I say this, Desperate Space and Starscape are two different products, Starscape would be recognised as another product entirely.

Plus I suspect that alot of people on the Stardock forums have played/brought/want to buy Starscape and if it went there, It would spread like wildfire.

But truth be told, I think that Mr. Robot would fare better in that arena..
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticheese wrote:

Yeah, I think that's right too, although probably just because it's 3D since Mr. Robot is again a pretty unique combination of ideas that I think will take quite a bit of playing to 'get'.

Hmm, ideally we need Starscape 3D - I think that would be pretty sellable Smile
Magnulus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think that would sell like hotcakes, as they say. I don't think you'd even need it to go fully 3D. Keep the 2D gameplay and chuck on 3D models with dynamic lighting and some neat shading etc, and you've got something that's much more easily sold, I think.

I may be wrong, of course. In fact, I probably am.
Anticheese

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Anticheese wrote:

Yeah, I think that's right too, although probably just because it's 3D since Mr. Robot is again a pretty unique combination of ideas that I think will take quite a bit of playing to 'get'.

I think that a remake of Starscape would be pretty popular, But please for the love of the gameplay gods, Do not make it "3d-3d" as in flight-sim 3d.

Keep it played in 2D, But render it in 3D..
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticheese wrote:
Fost wrote:
Anticheese wrote:

I think that a remake of Starscape would be pretty popular, But please for the love of the gameplay gods, Do not make it "3d-3d" as in flight-sim 3d.

Keep it played in 2D, But render it in 3D..
How about to keep people like AND people like me satisfied, make it 3d (as in flight-sim 3d) but also include a 3d-rendered 2d version. Personally I love 3d space shooters (especially SW: Rogue Squadron series on GC). Heck, while they're at it, the could do a traditional Starscape themed shump (actually thats a good idea).
Anticheese

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say no, Really combat and mining is tough enough the way it is..

Ok fine, Difficulty is only a small facet of that but really it will take one hell of alot of convincing..Generally indie 3D spacesims suck. No offence.

The unique cartoon like feel of Starscape would really be lost, Navigation would be a pain in the *** too.

I apologise for ranting but please for the love of the gaming gods, Do not remake starscape in flight-sim 3D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Developer Diary All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: