FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Favorite Ship Configs (Spoilers!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Beams just kill things period..
6 Beams kill better than 6 ion in the last zone,
6 Beams kill better than 6 Blaster in the last zone
6 Beams kill better than 6 Torpedo in the last zone

8 Beams add just that much more injury than 6 Beams in the Last Zone... Twisted Evil

I like to refer to the effect as the "Flashlight of God", although a friend of mine insists on saving that tag-line for nukes... Razz

lvl 4 Engine, generator, grav beam, and shields.
2 lvl 4 batteries (they provide all the extra power I need, even when using everything at once).
6 lvl 4 beams.
2 beam drones
3 nova bombs
some bomb bays (I forget how many, but I come in under weight)

This is the Corsair, my Devestator class fighter. Very Happy
Fire Storm

Location: Michigan, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 00356

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When mining, NOTHING beats beams! It's like mining with a lightsaber!

Also, earlier I just let enemies build up in Lv1, and later when I had quite a few lasers, it was fun to go back there and fight with the lightsaber!
C.Love

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come across two particular favorites that have worked fairly well so far, not so much for their sheer devastating power, but their tailored focus for specific tasks.

The first ship is essentially an offshoot of the inital prowler, devolved from a fighter to a mining car with a rocket strapped to its ***. Early in zone 1 I research the level 3 Grav and level 4 Engines and Generators since these are the only upgrades that can fit inside the Prowler hull without cramping the space. I actually tried mining with my Avenger for a while, but realized I was destroying nearly half the ore that I was trying to mine, so I went back to my prowler with a slightly lighter arsenal for the job.

Cutter (mining car)
2x Level 2 Blasters (nose mounted for small asteroid blasting) Primary
2x Rocket Launchers (wing mounted, good for Danger Zone mining) Secondary
1x Missile Bay

The second ship I worked on was a light fighter with the Avenger hull. I realized I needed a combination of forward focused fire ability for captial ships as well as superior 'cover' fire to deal with the swarms of drone ships. The result was a fast, brutally effective light fighter that did its job well using the newer tech in zones 2 and 3. Its name was taken out of noticing all the blue colored lights it gave off while firing. The extra missile bays let the rockets be used in the same firing group as the Ions.

Romeo (Light Fighter)
2x Plasma Rockets (Nose mounted) Primary
2x Level 3/4 Ion cannons (Wing Mounted) Primary
6x Missile Bays (For extended use)
2x Beam Drones (Huzzah!)
1x Bomb ('cause there's this ONE space left over) Secondary

I haven't settled on a final design for the Golem class Devastator, but I'm sure I'll get an effective mix working before long.
Tangent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got all 30 crewmembers back on the Aegis, so I'm no longer hell bent on hunting the Mining Barges down. This is also the point where I decided to dump the idea of keeping any other ships but the Devestator Class (I used up the names I liked for the two lighter ships, and I still had the Corsair)

All three Devestators have level 3 gravity beams and level 4 engines, generators, batteries (the Bombard only has one battery as it doesn't use all that much power, but the other two have two each), and shields.

The Corsair was refitted to handle fighting large groups of fighters and drones:
  • 2 Level 4 Beam Lasers. These heavy hitters are mounted together in the nose for precission purposes.
  • 2 Level 4 Blasters mounted off to either side of the cockpit. This keeps a nice dense zone of death in front of the Corsair, and the charged energy wave combines to nice effect with the charged lightning arcs of the Beam Lasers...
  • 2 Level 4 Ion Cannons mounted on the wing-tips. Just the thing for dealing with hordes of drones while concentrating on larger fighters and capital ships.
  • 2 Missile Drones. They are abls to home in on enemies outside of the firing arc of the Ion Cannons, but I'll admit to throwing them on just to be able to have missiles in the mix. Razz
  • 3 level 3 Nova Bombs with 2 Bomb Bays, enabling me to drop a total of five sets of three heavy Nova Bombs for those furballs that just get too dense for anything else. But why I really love these is their ability to get past the armor of Gravitons! Very Happy (They aren't bad for defeating Jammers either, if you time the drop off right.)

The Raider is fairly simple: It has my old set up of 6 level 4 Beam Lasers, 2 Beam Drones, and 3 level 3 Nova Bombs with 2 Bomb Bays. Kills most capital ships very quickly, can hit the Jammer from just off screen (if you can aim it right), and the bombs are still the best best for killing Gravitons quickly. This set up isn't too bad in a furball of fighters and drones, but I've noticed that the Corsair is actually better at handling large groups of smaller ships.

The third one is still undergoing field testing. The Bombard is fitted with 6 Plasma Torpedos, 2 Missile Drones, and 3 level 3 Nova Bombs. 6 Missile Bays and 2 Bomb Bays add to the mission duration. Every weapon on this baby homes in on an enemy, but in the one fight that I've used it in thus far, most of the torpedos seem to converge on the same enemy, even in a group...

Idea A spoiler about Magma Snakes: Spoiler (highlight to read):
In every Zone, you will find one or more "nesting" nodes, where you won't be bothered by the snakes unless they happen to be in those funky looking asteroids that can only be found in these nodes. The thing is, the odds of your finding a Magma Snake in any particular "Nest" go up in each zone, ranging from "not very often" in Zone 1 to "damn near every time" in zone five. The big problems with Zone five Nesting Nodes is that these Magma Snakes are particularly long (they survive under heavy fire longer, and are more apt to be accidentally split into even more Magma Snakes), and it is very hard not to accidentally break open more than just one nest at a time.

This is fine if you want a challenge while mining these resource rich nodes, but if you don't want the hassle, go back to an earlier zone to lessen the chances of waking up a Magma Snake.

And on a final note: I think that this little emoticon is cute! Shocked
Val

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats a Graviton?

and Snakes are wimps once your fully researched, its finding them when all you have is your first prowler with blaster1s and missle1s thats hell.

I got another question...

With regards to propulsion, is it ship based or just mass based?

As in if I lightly equip a Devastator and give it a lvl4 engine, will it match a lightly equipped runabout?

So far the only difference I see is in acceleration and turning speed, not in top speed, but my tests arent very technical.

It may just be me, but no matter what ship I make, I almost always go over 80 power and have to add batteries, unless its 6 Torpedos.
C.Love

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reccomend Blasters or Particle beams in the nose sections for jobs that require you to hit specific targets (such as the armored drone-carriers/gravitons? or mining ships), and putting missiles and ion cannons in the wing sections for better indirect fire capability.

IMO, I think it is better to have the level 3 particle drones instead of the missile drones, since they REALLY seem to not do much damage.. which is fair enough since the plasma rockets are worth putting into the larger hulls.

If you want a REALLY diverse Avenger hull, you can try this setup. Having only one rocket launcher means you can go longer without running out of rockets (thus making it good for primary fire with the beams)

Rapier class Avenger
2x Ion Cannons (Wing mounted for better spread)
1x Blaster/Particle Beam (Nose mounted)
1x Plasma Rocket (Nose mounted)
2x Particle Drones
Missile Bays, Bomb bays, and Bombs to taste

The Golem (devastator) setup includes
2x Blaster/Particle Beam (Nose Mounted)
2x Plasma Rocket (Inner wing mounted)
2x Ion Cannon (outer wing mounted)
2x Particle Drones
Bombs and bays to taste

Also, this spacecraft is for the true hardcore players out there. It evolved from my earlier mining car with a lot of high tech gadgetry. If you think I'm crazy, I took down an interdictor in Zone 5 and supporting fighters/drones with this little bugger. Oh yea, don't forget. This build has NO shields!

Daredevil class Prowler
2x Level 2 Blasters (maybe upgrade later to particle beams, charge up is nice!)
2x Level 2 Ion Cannons
2x Level 3 Particle Beam Drones
1x level 3 Bomb
1x level 3 Grav beam
Dunbar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I find the drones to be useless once you have lvl 4 weaponry. I had been using the beam drones, but took them out for more bomb bays or missle bays. Current setups:

REVENGE, devastator
4x lvl 4 particle beams
2x plasma torpedoes (wing mounted)
lvl 4 engine, shield, and generator
lvl 3 grav beam
4x missle bays
and nova bombs/bomb bays (I forget, but not 4x lvl 3 bombs as that was way too heavy...)

This is a great balance for a ship I think. Waving around the particle beams can spread the damage over an area, and the plasma torps take out stragglers. And the particle beams make short work of boss ships. I tried having beam drones, but the added drain on the generator isn't worth it; they just don't do enough damage. Ion cannons suck up a lot of juice and lack a powerful punch in my experience. And the particle beam rocks because it does damage NOW, you don't have to wait for the projectiles to get there, and it's easy to fire on the run.

BOMBER, devastator
6x plasma torps
4x lvl 3 nova bombs
lvl 4 engine, shield, and generator
1x missle bay
1x lvl 3 grav beam
everything else bomb bays

This is just a fun ship. Ever warp into an area in Zone 5 surrounded by baddies? Take out the bomber and let fly. Ammo is very limited; only 29 volleys of 6 torpedoes and 10 volleys of 4 bombs. However, nothing can survive that kind of punishment. When you have to kill a large number of ships fast, nothing can beat this. Fly straight at a big group at fire away just before turning aside and zipping past them; that sends the bumbs right to the center of the group. Or drop them just as more enemies are warping in to give them a warm welcome.
C.Love

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as design experimenting goes, more often than not I find that having more than 2 bomb launchers or rocket launchers creates a lot of wasted ammo overall. I think you can probably whittle down the bomb/rocket launchers and load in 4 ion cannons or beam lasers. This way your primary fire can be target-specfic, while your secondary rocket/bomb combo smothers swarms.

I've been experimenting more with foregoing missiles entirely and also opting to use a particularly interesting Bomb modification in heavier hulls. By using a pair of level 2 weapons in a wing section, I can use the 2 leftover pods for bomb bays (and since I wouldn't be using torps/rocket bays, there's more room for ammo!). While heavily expensive, I think you can easily justify saying that bombs are more effective than plasma torps.

For example, this particular build can release 12 twin-bomb salvos before needing to reload, and can still cause plenty of damage with the beam arsenal. One launch alone is probably enough to wipe a decent chunk of enemy drone swarms, and two consecutive launches can wipe the area clean of all but a few stragglers or capital ships.

Rapier (Avenger)
2x Level 4 Beam (Nose Mounted)
2x Level 2 Beam (Wing mounted)
2x Level 3 Bombs (Wing mounted, behind the level 2 beams)
2x Beam Drones
6x Bomb Bays

Just think of what this beam-and-bombs tradeoff could do in a devastator hull. Unfortunately, i'm still working on mining enough to make all those bays..
GavinStrife

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't like bombs... for some reason, whenever I launch them, they tend to fly out behind my ship, which isn't where I want them to go... I do tend to fly backwards a lot, but thats just cuz I like to show off for the Aegis crew... That mechanic girl is a hottie! Wink
cephas47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My final set of ships (only beat it tonight)

PLYMOUTH [prowler] (Like a rock. Still my top kill ship at 2,337, 3:14:49)

Engine4
Generator4
Shield4
GravBeam2
MissleDrone, primary fire, mounted on left side (cause I've gotta have something that homes)
IonCannon2 ×2, primary fire, mounted up front (a fun little toy, no matter how you cut it)
Blaster2 ×2, secondary fire, mounted on wing (always liked the wider spread, and since it's on secondary fire, I can charge it at my leisure)

DODGE II [avenger] (shifty little rocketship, the original got cornered by magma snakes & the Ęgis, very ugly scene. DODGE went down with 361 kills (0:32:13), DODGE II made it back to Earth with 1,987 kills (2:01:18 ))

Engine4
Generator4
Shield4
GravBeam2
Rocket ×2, primary fire, loaded in center firing bays (perfect for pumping ye olde Gravitron with yonder bays open)
Plasma Torpede ×2, secondary fire, mounted on wings (can't leave the Ęgis with something that homes for me)
Missle Bay ×9 (When all you've got are rockets, you can never have too many of these. Very Happy )
BeamDrone ×2, primary fire (because yeah, eventually you run out of ammo)

VERITAS [devastator] (Because sometimes the truth just hurts. A lot. About the only thing I couldn't do with it was mine; the beams were too powerful and always broke the elements. 2,309 kills, 1:16:21)

Engine4
Generator4
GravBeam2
Shield4
BeamLaser4 ×6, primary fire, mounted on all 6 primary weapons nacelles(open up the curtain and let the sun shine in Twisted Evil )
MissleDrone ×2, primary fire (gotta have something that can aim for me, unlimited ammo is great for the higher power draw)
Nova Bomb3 ×4, secondary fire ("say hello to my little friend" simply doesn't do it justice)
Battery4 ×2 (so that I could charge the relatively useless electric shock and move simultaneously. Too bad iit didn't let the shock charge quicker)
Bomb Bay ×3 (because 156/150 is all I can bear overweight)

One of the great advantages I saw in VERITAS was that I didn't need the Missle Bays for rockets; the Missle Drones don't need them. I could stay out with it, embarrassing whatever armada or capital ship came by.
Unless the capital ship was a Jammer, in which case I'd need to go repair shortly thereafter.
BullS101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are missin out. I used an avenger all through lvl 5. Zips around like crazy, and you cut through mobs like they're nothing. Only thing is, before you know it, 7 snakes spawn at once and you're in the middle of em...no good. Anyways, here it is.

Epiphany- Avenger - 2747 kills in 47 minutes...or about 48 kills a minute ; )
Weapons-
-4x Lvl 4 Beams
-2x Missle drones
-2x nova bombs
-3x bomb bays

I tossed in a grav beam for a little mining action, too. Missle drones seem to be incredibly underrated. As you sweep through swarms with beam lasers, most enemy ships only need the little bit of damage provided by a missle drone to finish em off.
Eku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my ship when I use to beat the last boss for the first time.

Probably went a little overboard on battery, and ion + beam is NOT a good combination. Your battery will drain down to zero everytime you try to change. Making the charging pretty much useless.

I would take 6 beams + 2 missle drone. A couple of nova just in case if I want the best ship.
Chibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: My Ship Reply with quote

I just beat the game...
Then I accidentally clicked before the end credits rolled... (And it skipped everything!)
So I beat it again!

Not that hard with this ship config:

HellFire: Devastator Class
Nose-mounted: Beam Lasers 4 (x2) (Great for precision killing: Gravs, Motherships, and those double-sided grey minelayers)

Inner Wing-tip: Ion Cannon 4 (x2)
(For that great spread-shot action, gets rid of drones like a dream.)

Inner Wing: Missle Drone (x2) (Infinite heatseekers? HECK YEAH!)
Grav Beam 3, Nova Bomb 3 (You only need one, really. Use your missle drones with your normal guns, and save your nova bombs for when you're outnumbered...)

Outer Wing-tip: Plasma Torp (x2), Missle Bay (x2)

Main: Engine 4, Generator 4, Shield 4
Bomb Bay (x2), Cargo Bay (x2), Missle Bay (x2)
Battery 4 (x2) (I'm always in need of more batteries! I fly and mine and shoot all the time. It's a good strategy for reaping gems from destroyed flagships while you're being marauded by drones)

Tip: Make your cargo bays first: That way you can mine plenty to make everything else!
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HunterXI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that roxkets in the last boss battle are completely useless. you can only use them on the fighters... which can easily be taken out by other means
callmeminyme

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys go at this game a little wiered.

you SHOULD be looking ahead.

befor you enter a node you would look at enemy positions and how long it would take to clear the intier area befor they reach you if you gear you ship up to mine like mad, if they can amke it to you that quick just make ur ship combat and collect the dead bodies of ur fallen opponets by advancing on them...

its better to reconfigure the ship every time then to use one generic one, trust me on that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: