FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
How much dose it cost to....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: How much dose it cost to.... Reply with quote

how much would i be looking at to get dvd cases/covers/cds done?
i presume you need to order most of them in large quantities Surprised
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on where you are - Australian prices will differ, and I know US prices are at least half what we have to pay, but here's our figures:

1000 DVD covers - 210
500 full colour printed CDs - 550
DVD cases can usually get under 20p a box (I forget the actual figures) if you are buying 100+. It's worth paying more for Amaray brand cases though as they are the best for posting.

Always look for places that have a sliding scale depending on how many you buy. Anywhere that sells DVD boxes in packs of 5 is unlikely to be cheap.

Don't forget your postal prices and packing materials/labels etc - it all adds up.
Sorrow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, yea i was doing research at the same time, looks like im going to be starting projects again :S

but it's early days yet.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't necessarily have to have CDs (unless you are thinking of a project with a massive dataset perhaps), we get about 1/4 of orders on CD. Lots of bigger companies don't bother (or use one of those burn on demand places to handle it for them). We just like the package to be honest - it's nice to have a box of a game. I don't see the point of those burn on demand places - who wants an unprinted cdr? It's pretty much only dial-up people that would want that if your game was massive.
Sorrow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just looking at my options at this point Razz but yea, i might end up doing the whole order online thing, i thought it would be nice to get the game with a case,cover and cd but that could just be my own preference Confused

i ordered starscape on CD from you guys despite the fact that i have cable internet......my cousin bought the download version i think.
gnat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the heads up there fost. Some good info here.

The starscape boxes look great btw
Anticheese

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, My only regret is that there is an activation dongle on them (You need the CD in the drive to play the CD version) which really kills it when you sit it next to the internet version.
simonb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nick, a question ive always wanted an answer for. Whats the deal with commercial disks being a different colour to regular writable disks.

Where do they buy thee disks from and what hardware do they use to write to them?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonb wrote:
Whats the deal with commercial disks being a different colour to regular writable disks.

Actually, you can get silver writeable cdrs, although most of them aren't what I'd call 'ideal' quality. Taiyo Yuden (who are pretty much the industry standard) make some that are just slightly off silver that I'd recommend.

As for normal cds versus cdrs: the cd replication process goes something like this; they make a set of stampers or molds from a master. The molds are then mounted into an injection mold machine. Polycarbonate plastic is injected into the mold under high pressure. Once the disc molding is complete, a reflective coating is applied to the disc (which gives it the silver look). Lastly the disc receives a special protective lacquer. The disc is spun at very high speed to evenly distribute the lacquer, which is then "baked" under uv light. Cdrs on the other hand have an organic dye recording layer between the exterior and the reflective layer - the laser burns this away to make releftive pits, but it's the dye that tints the silver underneath.

I think that's about right - I'm sure there's a lot more to it Smile

It used to be the case that this was the prefered method for distributing data, because in-line inspections are performed by the machinery ensuring every disc is perfect, the lacquered side was more resistant to damage and the 'signal' from an injection molded disc was much stronger.

These days however, with if you buy the correct write/burner combination, and set everything up to be data verified post burn, you end up with an equally robust product. You do need to be careful though, as cheaper makes of cdrs aren't as reliable.

It's actually much cheaper to use cd replication rather than cdrs, but I think it's worth the expense so you are always sending out the very latest version of a game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: