FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Obligatory "Anything For Mac? (or Linux)" 2007 :)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Obligatory "Anything For Mac? (or Linux)" 2007 :) Reply with quote

Yeah yeah yeah, I used the search and I have been for about two years now, but there was nothing new for 2007 and if you don't keep showing interest then you have no chance.

So any new updates for hope for us non Windows people?

It pains me to hear how these games are SDL based and haven't been ported yet. Really I shed a tear Sad

I haven't tried to run them under Crossover yet, but again thats not really satisfying at all and Dual Booting isn't really a realistic scenario either... especially if you know how people work on Macs (running their apps and programs forever without closing them or rebooting...) the idea of dual booting is really just a bad taste.

So yeah, any changes? I would buy both games the second they were released. Have you guys tried talking to any of the traditional Mac porting companies (Ambrosia, Feral, MacPlay, Pangea, Spiderweb, Macsoft Games, Aspyr, Freeverse?) or tried to find a Mac / Linux coder?

Sorry, I just really want to play these so I had to kick off the 2007 request Smile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really unlikely still I'm afraid. Mr. Robot in particular uses a DX9 renderer that was written by someone who has left the company.

We haven't forgotten the idea and still would like to go more down the cross-platform route, but you have to bear in mind we wouldn't be doing it for any financial reasons, as the effort involved just isn't offset by the gain. So it's pretty much always ended up on the backburner.

Even getting someone else to do it would require a lot of support time from Mark just to get them up and running, and since he already works all the time on the game (hasn't stopped working on the update since release) there just isn't any breathing room right now. Sad

One day maybe...
Magnulus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to play them, you'd get Boot Camp. I did, and I'm super-happy about that. Mr. Robot looks delicious on my 20" iMac.
jeffbax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because that just strengthens the argument for no native ports. I will not support that no matter how much I'd like to play the games. You gotta put your foot down sometimes, and its no ill will toward moonpod as I understand their perspective, I just hope that things change over time Idea
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand what jeffbax is saying, and agree that native ports and more diversification in general is the preferred route.

The unfortunate and honest reality of the situation is that we just don't have the time, and if we did, we would like prioritise XBLA ports.

It's a rubbish answer I know, and I hope one day we'll have a better response.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More and more people are switching to macs these days, so I believe that at some point in the not-so-distant future, mac ports will be more economically feasible. Jeffbax is right, I'd rather buy a mac-native port than a windows version. I'm lazy and would rather not shut off everything else just to play a quick game or two, but sometimes I have to. At some point, enough people will have bought the mac for ports to be more ecomically feasible for indie developers. So say I!
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnulus wrote:
More and more people are switching to macs these days

I've seen a lot of people say that, but I've never seen any concrete figures to back it up. There was talk of a 400,000 user switch at one point, but this was apparently based on a 35% increase in sales due to new product lines compared to a steady PC user base. You can't necessarily draw the conclusion that there's an exodus. I'm sure it is a growing market though.

In any case, the reality is, you are still talking about the vapour off a droplet of water compared to the ocean that is windows. I honestly don't think that the economics argument works. I've said this before to linux people (which turned into a fun conversation Smile ), but I really think a better argument for ports is the support you get from the Mac/Lin community. If a company has (unlike us Smile ) done things right in the first place and got the code in a fully cross-platform state then it will obviously make sense to use that and have a Mac port, but most game developers will know that Mac and especially Linux is not anywhere near as big a market as windows and will have to weight up time spent on supporting those platforms accordingly.

Now that's a bit Doom nd Gloom, but I think there is a major benefit (beyond the financial) to supporting Mac and Linux and that is the community support angle. Mac and Linux communities are incredibly supportive of those developers who have put the effort in, and you could almost argue it's good PR. That's the reason we want to support them at least, but if we were just basing that decision on money alone we wouldn't be interested.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did say "at some point". I wasn't suggesting that macs are a particularly volatile market at this moment in time.

I know not to listen too much to corporations spouting their "LOOK HOW POPULAR WE ARE!" releases. Much more interesting to me is the fact that three people who I know personally (and a few on the web) have recently converted to mac. Many of them to an all-mac environment. I'd understand it if they were all media types who had been saving up (like me), but most of them are just regular people, people I had never figured for your typical "mac guy" (Hello, Justin Long. ^_^) and that is what baffles me slightly. I haven't even been selling macs to my friends so much, either.

So from that, I'm thinking that it can't just be a completely isolated incident. If anything, Apple are reaching farther and farther out with their branding. They're apparently available at more and more Best Buy stores in the US, and they're opening mac-stores at a fast pace. Their ad campaign, while sometimes wildly inaccurate (Like most ads) IS pretty funny (John Hodgman. Rock.), and is being seen by a lot of people.

Macs will always be a niche product, but it is a growing one from what I can tell.

But anyway... I completely understand your decision. I love you guys no matter what.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me Rants incoherintly about how much he hates macs!
Tennants Lager

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Macs, back in the mid 90's. It's what our high school computing department & library of the time used so I did likewise. Haha, it was always fun seeing who'd get lumbered with the single Mac Classic in the class while the rest of us got Power PC models. Smile That was still a quantum leap over the BBC comps we had in Primary school though. Laughing

Then when I went to Glasgow Uni in 99 it was all PCs, so really had to switch and have used them ever since.

Can't say I'd be interested in moving back to a Mac at present, but I suppose they do have their advantages for some people - in my experience if they do what you want they're pretty reliable and simple to use.
SethP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: The following is all personal opinion and I have no data whatsoever to back it up. I just felt like sharing.

I just recently watched Pirates of Silicon Valley (a great movie for anyone interested in computing history), and I think the whole Mac vs. Windows comparison is summed up best by Bill Gates at the end of the movie:

"You have the better product, Steve, but it just doesn't matter."

That was true then, because IBM was the place to buy a computer, be it for office use or (once they broke in to the Personal Computer market) a PC. Gates was the one to provide an operating system* for IBM's new PCs, which is why Apple lost the market in the first place.

What it seems to me is happening now is that people are realizing just how poor of a product Windows is (especially now with Vista -- That's a scary OS right there), and just how much better OS X is. Basically, Gates' strategy won him out in the short run, but now that Joe Average is becoming more computer literate, everyone's getting to see how much of an advantage having a well written OS can be.

[/soapbox]

*An interesting side story: Gates really had nothing to do with the writing of MS-DOS. It was originally QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System), written by Tim Paterson. I personally find it amusing that most of us are using an operating system descended (in spirit, if not in direct code) from an admittedly "Quick and Dirty" operating system.
Tennants Lager

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SethP wrote:
Disclaimer: The following is all personal opinion and I have no data whatsoever to back it up. I just felt like sharing.

I just recently watched Pirates of Silicon Valley (a great movie for anyone interested in computing history), and I think the whole Mac vs. Windows comparison is summed up best by Bill Gates at the end of the movie:

"You have the better product, Steve, but it just doesn't matter."

That was true then, because IBM was the place to buy a computer, be it for office use or (once they broke in to the Personal Computer market) a PC. Gates was the one to provide an operating system* for IBM's new PCs, which is why Apple lost the market in the first place.

What it seems to me is happening now is that people are realizing just how poor of a product Windows is (especially now with Vista -- That's a scary OS right there), and just how much better OS X is. Basically, Gates' strategy won him out in the short run, but now that Joe Average is becoming more computer literate, everyone's getting to see how much of an advantage having a well written OS can be.

[/soapbox]

*An interesting side story: Gates really had nothing to do with the writing of MS-DOS. It was originally QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System), written by Tim Paterson. I personally find it amusing that most of us are using an operating system descended (in spirit, if not in direct code) from an admittedly "Quick and Dirty" operating system.

There's surely a parallel to be drawn there to the outcome of the VHS vs Betamax battle being won via the 'adult entertainment' industry's input......... Wink
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really understand the whole OS argument to be honest - it's more about software for me, and there's just a much wider range for PC.

I can't even think of anything my OS needs to do in fact other than not crash often...
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SethP wrote:

IMHO I find that a mac might be better for someone who doesent know computers verry well. If someone is smart they will use something unix based*

Mac myths,
-Macs are more stable, Right now Win Xp and OSX are about equal. All the "ZOMG WINDOWS CRASHZ!" jokes are refering to 95 98. I have not seen a blue screen of death in 3 years. However I have had a mac REFUSE to boot up on me just last weak. When WinXP crashes I usualy get some eror message and can figure out what is wrong.
-Macs are virus proof, Thats beacause nobody cares about macs. If thare were nearly as much Macs as PCs than they would be loaded with viruses spam and spywhare just like PCs. If you don't know how to deal with these than you do not deserve to have a computer.

This post was writen on a Mac. Evil or Very Mad

*yes I know that thare is unix burred under all that **** you call an OS.
Tennants Lager

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:

Mac myths...

Macs are virus proof, Thats beacause nobody cares about macs. If thare were nearly as much Macs as PCs than they would be loaded with viruses spam and spywhare just like PCs. If you don't know how to deal with these than you do not deserve to have a computer.

Indeed. As Macs become more popular, more virus writers will inevitably target them.

The scum that they are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: