FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Space Strategy and Tactics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Space Strategy and Tactics Reply with quote

I'm not really sure if I can post this here. If not, then have no qualms about removing it.

I am part of a development team and have been since late last year, called simply Space Strategy and Tactics. Our goal is to make a space combat simulator using a newtonian engine. We are recruiting, and would like to direct you to this site if you are interested in being involved in any way.

www.ssnt.org is the homepage, if you are simply curious.
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, you are welcome to post. Looks nice btw, I wish I had more free time to keep up with all the latest space games - there appears to be a lot in the works.
Rup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Space Strategy and Tactics Reply with quote

siirenias wrote:
Our goal is to make a space combat simulator using a newtonian engine.

Newtonian as in Elite 2?

That always ended up a bit like jousting - you'd get a quick shot at the ship as you flashed past, but you were always travelling faster point-to-point than you could brake from to engage.

Games like Starscape, X-Wing or Wing Commander may be less realistic but they are more fun.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree - I've never personally liked the combat in Frontier for instance, although I know people who love it.

You've probably seen it - but if not, it might be worth looking into I-War - I heard it had a good acceleration based combat system (if you are into that sort of thing)
siirenias

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newtonian as in the current in the most probable physical theory. The game itself spans millions of killometers, perhaps lighthours even. Going within 1000 km would be considered close engagement. That sort of reality is not ruled by the fighter. However, even those are not to be underestimated. A cloud of heavy bombers could take out your command ship if you are not wary of it.
By the way, this is most definatly a strategy game, and less of a flight simulator. And if you like flight sims, you might say that the AI gets all the fun in that respect.
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely use a realistic system

(i actually like space jousting)

but include a full stop bouton which fires all your thrusters and brings your ship to a halt
siirenias

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been bugging the head programmer about that since the first release of Pilot Race, our little game to test the physics engine. It drives me nuts that he did not put in any forward facing thrusters on that test ship.
OvermindDL1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that "Stopped" is relative. When you want to "stop", is that relative to your massive command ship beside you, to the nearby planet, to the nearby overall starsystem, nearby sun, the galaxy you are in. Everything in the universe is moving relative to something else, "stop" does not actually exist.
siirenias

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct. Usually, stopped is relative to the primary gravitational body in a system. This can be so much as a central star or the center of a nebula.

EDIT: If you like, we can persue the topic, which I think actually has been overlooked, in our forums. The forum activity would be nice Very Happy
jollyreaper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the play mechanics are fun, the game will do fine. Smile

I dropped you a line via your site. Do you plan on adding a forum for discussing the game concept? Any demo screenshots of what you have in mind?

I had an idea of my own for something like this, building upon what Star Control and other games have done. Of course, my programming skills are non-existent so there's no way I could bring it about.

You'd have a strategic map that would be just like Star Control, turn-based where you try to conquer more territory and secure resources. In the tactical mode, you are flying and fighting in a newtonian world. Some weapons are linear, like the beams. Others are physical, like missiles. You have to be careful with the missiles becuase they don't have enough delta-v to correct for a bad launch. You have other weapons like mines or dart clouds that can be sprayed out and impact an orbiting target. You are either engaging an enemy ship or orbital/ground installations around the planet. I figure for the sake of sanity it would be 2D, like Star Control. Overall, a scenario should take an hour or two to complete, start to finish, just like the scenarios in Star Control.

There just aren't enough neat space games.
siirenias

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Forums are here: http://forums.ssnt.org/

Speak your mind Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: