FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Ship Naming
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Ship Naming Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity, what names do you people give your ships? Mine are all letters of the Greek alphabet so far;

ALPHA - Prowler (Recycled)
BETA - Avenger (Recycled)
GAMMA - Devastator (Current)
DELTA - Prowler v2 (Backup) (overall boosted... attempting to pack the power, speed, shielding and maneuverability of my GAMMA Devastator into a smaller package Wink)

I don't remember their loadouts, but the GAMMA Devastator has Mk4 Shields/Engine/Generator, Mk2 Ions (x2, nosemount) and Plasma Torps (x4, wingmounts)

I can't wait to get the beams myself... THEN the Delta Prowler v2 will be scary... Smile

Imagine;

Prowler, Generator 4, Shield 4, Engine 4, 2x Beams, 2x Heatseekers/Rockets and two batteries
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ships were generally named things like: Hope, Saviour, Misery, Regret, Hubris, Humility, Dignity, Resolve and Purity. My naming of ships tended to be influenced largely by whether or not the last one had been blown to bits, and indeed whether it was my own stupid fault for taking unnecessary risks. There's kind of a progression from naive optimism, through some gloomy setbacks to a final sense of determination. Some ships fell outside this naming scheme, like Nemo, which was the prowler I used for the scavenger challenge; and Dunce, a backup ship that was really just an experiment.

If you search around on here you can find the final load-outs of Nemo, Resolve and Purity, I believe.

Weeble.

PS - For any sequel to Starscape, I'd love to be able to give ships both callsigns and big long full names. I love the naming style of the ships in Iain M. Banks's Culture novels, but you just can't duplicate that in an 8 or 9 character name.
siirenias

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My usual names are Shiri (vengeance, I think), Shamshir, Tulwar, Khopesh, and the like.

I once named a ship UNIQUE, just in spite of that darn "Name must be unique!" message.
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoenix (prowler)

phoenix II (prowler)

valkyrie (avenger)

leviathan (devastator)

a phoenix is a mythical bird that lives for 1000years, catches fire and burns to death, and is then reborn from the ashes (come to think of it that name is oddly appropriate)

a valkyrie is a spirit that comes in the form of a woman clad in armor that collects the souls of great warriors after they die

a leviathan is a big sea monster
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use all sorts of naming conventions.

One game, I named all of my ships after my younger siblings.

One game, I named them after a friend's kids. (I was MAD when the zone 3 boss killed Ethan!)

If I'm playing a one-ship game, I'll use a name like "solo" or "loner" or "highlndr" (highlander - there can be only one!)

I sometimes use silly names like "moron", "idiot", and "dork".

Sometimes I name them after people from other games -- ENDER was my big missile ship, while Sirian was my nimble ship, and Birdseye was my point damage ship, because those 3 guys were known for missile skill, avoidance, and aim, respectively.

My wife often uses animal names -- dove, hawk, dragon, etc.

---

By the way... I never found beam 2's to be very useful on a prowler. I like to stick to 4 blaster 2's and 2 missile drones (and a nova bomb, once I have them.)

Also, try it with no shields -- you don't take nearly as many hits in a shieldless prowler, because you can fly between stuff so easily.

There's also no need for batteries on a prowler with a generator 4. You can't possibly use enough power to need a battery.

This, of course, changes if you're talking about an avenger instead.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it's really a surpise to us - but every now and then, people email in their Starscape wishlists (which is great - feedback is like gold dust to us!), and usualy people have 'longer ship names' somewhere on the list.

I guess it makes sense; people get attached to their creations and want to give them really cool names.
Akim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:

phoenix (prowler)

phoenix II (prowler)

valkyrie (avenger)

leviathan (devastator)

a phoenix is a mythical bird that lives for 1000years, catches fire and burns to death, and is then reborn from the ashes (come to think of it that name is oddly appropriate)

a valkyrie is a spirit that comes in the form of a woman clad in armor that collects the souls of great warriors after they die

a leviathan is a big sea monster

emm i know all of those , but why the hell are you people just dont name it ship1 ship2 ship3?
siirenias

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because creativity can be expressed in ship names? Also, I think I remember someone telling you to stop with the profanity.
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kythorak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We give them names because names like Ship1, Ship2 & Ship3 are boring. Adding a name to the ship makes it just that little bit more special... it's no longer just another number, it is a free ship.

*Cookie to the first person to get that movie/tv show reference Wink*
pheonix

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I played the game I just COULDN"T beat the zone 3 boss, so I made a special ship just to beat it. I called it x-302 becasuse in the scifi series stargate sg-1 a ship called the x-302 was made just to foil an alien plan to destroy Earth Wink Very Happy
BluePhoenix

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The names I use are generally mythical creatures. The type of ship determines what it's name is. I might name a mining ship something like "Dirtbag" or a slow, heavily armed fighter "Golem" or "Behemoth".
Typical name is "phoenix"
cephas47

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi-off-topic: hey, my name's atop the Campaign board once more! What happened to the guy who turned in a score of, um, I think it was 1.4 million points, 0 saves, 1 ship?

He didn't crack the codes, did he?

Anyway...my ships and their names:

PLYMOUTH: Prowler hull, first ship you get to make. Named it after the car company, they made a model called the Prowler for a while, had an atypical body. Really wanted one, but didn't get the chance to buy one.
Also, it was "like a rock" in that it makes it all the way through most times I play, and my first time through, it had the most kills of any ship.

DODGE: Avenger hull, typically the second ship. Named it again after the car company, simply because any reference to Emma Peel would've been distracting. First time with a large ship, it was often ill-fated.

VERITAS: Devastator hull, the usual last ship. Latin for truth, and you know the truth hurts. Rolling Eyes Also from the name of a guild I'm part of in Ultima Online (http://www.uo.com/) on the Napa Valley shard.

TEST: Runabout hull, something I was playing around with. Had a pair of Beam2's and a pair of Beam drones. No shield, playing in Zone 5. Whee....got a thousand kills before getting cornered by a magma snake.

REVENGE: Devastator hull, built out of necessity. Was having trouble with Zone 3 boss after installing 1.5e...or maybe it was 1.4e...I had to do a full reinstall, whichever one that was. Decked it out with rockets and torps, Shield 3, Generator 3 and Engine 1...handled like a 5 gallon bucket of drywall spackle, but it got the job done.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cephas47 wrote:
Semi-off-topic: hey, my name's atop the Campaign board once more! What happened to the guy who turned in a score of, um, I think it was 1.4 million points, 0 saves, 1 ship?

He didn't crack the codes, did he?

As far as I can tell, there are only 2 1-ship games on the entire scoreboard (my wife, with 0 saves, and me with 7 saves.) Having done it and scored barely half a million points, I'm pretty sure a 1.4 million point, 0 save, 1 ship game would require either extensive cheating or leaving your computer sitting overnight every night for about a month AND being extremely good at the game.

If it's real, I'd love to see the screenshot from the dimension drive. I doubt it is, though.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cephas47 wrote:
hey, my name's atop the Campaign board once more!

Not any more! Very Happy

Man, I like summer break!
cephas47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*snickers*

Silly, no one beats me at wars of attrition. Cool

And there's more where it came from, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: