FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Guid, Software Security questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool! Well done to Lycos for having a go anyway. Actually sounded like it was working - there are obvious issues, but they appear to be solvable. Something like that would be a massive target for hackers though.

Personally, I think it would have been nice if the sites were actually made inoperable - just to see what the response would be from the spamming community (of course that's illegal, and Lycos were on shaky ground as it is). I suspect an escalating 'war' would ensue. What we need is some infinitely rich individual to finance a team of hackers and put them permanently to work on the problem

Shame it's not still going, I'd certainly install it - problems and all. If someone grabs your email form a website or newsgroup using a crawling program and uses it to spam you, they are asking for trouble.

Just to put this in context - each of our support emails currently has around 100-150 spam emails stopped per day. At some point we'll have to close them and use a web form - which is a shame, because it puts a barrier netween us and the customer. All the spams we receive have been sent to addresses obviously crawled off the site.
starscape junkie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo, i just lost about 5 paragraphs of anylasis and commentary Sad apparanantly contol_w(i was doing the finishing touches on my once over, hit control instead of shift Confused ) closes the window in avant Crying or Very sad

Since I dont feel like retyping the whole thing, ill touch on the good points

1.) P2P such as bittortent is a scourge and is as much if not more of a problem than websites, but alas it has its uses (old games no longer in circulation for example)

1.5) At least as a consillation prize, a large portion of the inexperienced use p2p bundles that effectively ruin their computer

2.)the most effective(but morally wrong) way to fight pirateers is to flood torrents, p2p's and sites/forums with false cracks/serials/whatever that completely decimate their computer ( del *.*, killprocess ftw Very Happy ) Alas this would be a guerilla movement at best, however if one could effectively keep this up, it would greatly hamper certain sites(and definetly certain peices of software would be reluctant downloads).

that's basically on the verge of illegality though, however, since the pirateers/downloaders are always hiding behind flimsy excuses, im sure justification like "by opening a program with an illegal intent, you accept all responisibility for whatever happened to your computer" would come into play, and the fact that to file a complaint, they do have to admit they were in fact commiting a crime would deter most.

3.)Thankfully for those of us without a public email address, and a sendmespam_AT_hotmail.com (EDIT:i didnt think the boards linked email addresses Razz) type of account, spam is pretty much non-existant.

/end downsized rant, im pretty sure there was more, but i think this gets the point across (and sorry for any glaring mistakes/icarus spelling/brain hurting grammar, i just dont have the heart to nitpick through it at the moment)
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starscape junkie wrote:
the most effective(but morally wrong) way to fight pirateers is to flood torrents, p2p's and sites/forums with false cracks/serials/whatever that completely decimate their computer

This would be pretty bad press for anyone involved too! There's also a chance someone could download it without knowing what it is (don't laugh - there are a lot of people who aren't net savvy at all - I wouldn't be surprised if some people download dodgy things like that assuming they are the games themselves.)

I'm not unsure if something similar isn't happening but for a different reason - pretty much all the crack sites these days have embedded browser exploits and virii (one linked to us the other week, and when I looked at it norton AV went bonkers!). We also had reports of some kind of spyware/trojan bundled with a crack for an old version of starscape that really messed up your machine with diallers - I don't think the cracking groups are doing that (they seem to revolve around kudos anyway), I think it's the sites hosting them - they are trying to make money out of ads and so on, and now have started auto bundling spyware with everything the carry. That's my guess what happened anyway - it's hard to tell without going deep into the site (which is hard for me to do with norton popping up several times on every page).

starscape junkie wrote:
EDIT:i didnt think the boards linked email addresses Razz)

By default it's off on most boards (ours too), allthough you can turn it on if you wish (I may just remove that option though - not everyone realises what a problem it is)
starscape junkie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleh, spyware is evil, and unfortunately getting more plentiful. Sites dealing with the "dark side" of the internet are swarming with it as well, if you arent protected and you go to the wrong site, youll be swimming in the stuff faster than something really really fast (can you tell its late Cool )

I was actually pleasantly surprised at microsoft's antispyware, it seemed to be catching everything my previous scanner had been and more, gave some detailed information on things such as running processes, and best of all is currently free with almost every couple day updates.
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
starscape junkie wrote:
the most effective(but morally wrong) way to fight pirateers is to flood torrents, p2p's and sites/forums with false cracks/serials/whatever that completely decimate their computer

This would be pretty bad press for anyone involved too! There's also a chance someone could download it without knowing what it is (don't laugh - there are a lot of people who aren't net savvy at all - I wouldn't be surprised if some people download dodgy things like that assuming they are the games themselves.)

I'm pretty sure that destructive software breaches the Computer Misuse Act 1990 (that's a UK law). I don't know if other countries have a similar thing, I think, perhaps, that the DMCA might cover it. Either way, it's not an option for us, as tempting as it might be when people knowingly steal from us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: