FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Jenna's eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Jenna's eyes Reply with quote

i noticed this banner on game tunnel

and am woundering

how does she get pink eyes to mach her hair

is this a birth defect,
some sort of cosmetic sergary you can get in the future,
does being in the grid change your eye colour*

plese anser as i am dieing to know

*you may be woundering why a yankey like me is using the british spelling
well thats beacuse i have know idea on how to spell it the american way
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't believe this - but we actually do have a reason for that!

JJ's pink hair and iris colour is actually an indication of the extreme poverty she grew up in. Most planets in the Starscape universe (which is essentially our universe) have had to be terraformed to some extent to become habitable. Food is at a premium, and the easiest thing to create is a krill/plankton hybrid that can be grown in vats at almost any temperature (it pretty much only needs light) and processed into some semblance of food. No one starves in the future, but the extremely poor can't afford food that tastes particularly great Very Happy so they pretty much live off the vat grown stuff. The krill hybrid is high in alpha and beta-carotene, and so a side effect of having it as an exclusive diet can be pink hair, iris pigment, and flushed looking skin, particularly on the face. Changing diet usually reverses the trend, although people who've been born that way can't always lose the hair and iris pigment, and can only tone their skin colour down with a better diet.

This side effect often takes quite a few generations to get hair as pink as JJ's, and so it's still not that common, even on colonies far from naturally habitable planets (where a varied diet would be more readily available).
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still like the die idea
Flumpaphone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
The krill hybrid is high in alpha and beta-carotene, and so a side effect of having it as an exclusive diet can be pink hair, iris pigment, and flushed looking skin, particularly on the face.

This actually happens in real life - it is the reason flamingo have pink feathers. Supposedly their feathers are grey, but the krill they eat on salt flats is high in beta-carotene and makes them pink.

I am sure you knew this already of course Wink I do think it is nice when people put a lot of thought into their stories - I have the impression that there is far more to the Starscape universe you are not telling us yet Very Happy
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whady mean thay just make stuf up evry time we ask a question
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
whady mean thay just make stuf up evry time we ask a question

Ha! Yeah, you see right though us Very Happy - although in the above case, that was actually something we had in mind - there's actually quite a bit of back story to the Starscape universe - much of it comes from a space trading game idea Poo Bear was working on even ten years ago Shocked

We are really hoping we can expand some of the story out with future games .
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always good to have a lot of backstory, cause even if you have to edit a lot of it down for a game, at least you have some material to look back on for more stories later.

I'd love to hear more about Poo Bear's space trading game ideas. Were any of those present in Starscape or is this something hoped for for a deeper game for Moonpod?
Material Offender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that stuff even edible by other animals??

cause i wanna grow pink cats Smile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary, although you could probably sell them for millions to famous people - I could see some actress going for a matching pink cat to match her pink dress.

No idea about the feasibility of it though - but I'd have though carotin supplements of any kind would be safe - although there may be side-effects. (as if being pink would be bad enough Very Happy )
HunterXI

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Material Offender wrote:
is that stuff even edible by other animals??

cause i wanna grow pink cats Smile

While Kittens would look cool in pink (Then they would own dogs in terms of cuteness), I've never experienced a cat who likes or is willing to eat Shrimp. Oh well, at least Scientists have made Rabbits that Glow (no lie).
siirenias

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome! I love continuity like that!
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: