FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
VB6 as a games development language...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tysoe wrote:

want to se some of my old blitz3D stuff?

http://s93153354.onlinehome.us/media/Media.htm

COol - some nice looking stuff in there Smile
Shows what can be done.
Omadan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello I'm completely new here but saw this forum and thought I could share my ideas as I'm experience with Blitz \ Darkbasic Pro C++ and others.

It seems to me that there is quite an issue on deciding which basic compiler to use. Well I can suggest for you to use Blitz. It is extremely fast and very cool code, unlike other basics.

Any way Blitz has been optimised for games development, and if you put your mind to it you get results and FAST.

Oh by the way to see a speed decrease in image blittering in Blitz at least you have to draw on screen 2000-4000 images and not 1000.
This obviously on system specifications.

Go with Blitz and discover what it van do to you. Im happy to answer any questions.
Abrojo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt check the directx controls for vb6, however as stated should be possible to code a game with it, might need more or less work but it should be possible.

language rant:
----------------

I love C++, plenty of tools around and is the industry's standard so to speak. However eventually it will switch out. Being one step next to assembly only matters performance wise, but then, why dont they use straight assembly?

Simple, because it takes less work in C++ and therefore less time and therefore costs less. Eventually computing power will suffice to use development tools with a higher level abstraction and be able to sustain the performance hit. Of course it becomes a thin line to walk through when you are trying to push ai or graphics at the same time you more to a supposedly slower tool but i think we are breaking that barrier.

What's more, considering the development times & costs games are taking, the more reason to switch to tools with which game coding is faster. Actually where i work, i just got assigned with a couple other folks to do some technology demos for testing of C# and so far i like what i am seeing and it wouldnt surprise me we make the switch for a real project soon. And we still didnt start with .net 2.0 (using 1.1), i have great expectations with some of the changes in 2.0 for game development.

It's hard for people to change and it takes time, but eventually the move to higher level of abstraction tools WILL happen.

just my 2 cents.
James

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see commercial games moving away from C++ any time soon because of consoles. Essentially, the only compilers that exist for games consoles are C/C++ so that's what you have to write your game in. Microsoft may attempt to produce higher level tools for PC and Xbox 360, say, but you can't use them if there's any chance your publisher could turn around and ask for a PS3 SKU.

There's no chance a standard, higher level language will take over without coordination between the hardware vendors, and I really can't see that happening.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest next step for everyone other than Microsoft (who would love everyone to use C#) would be D. I don't think anyone has a vested interest in it so maybe everyone could get behind it? I'm sure someone will point out somebody has a stupid patent on it or something.

http://www.digitalmars.com/

It's C++ but with a lot of the nicer standard template library built in, the removal of manual memory handling and a lot of other stuff designed to reduce errors and complexity. If you are only working on PC / Linux / Mac(?) you could use this right now and I think a few games have.

The problem with C# is people need a ~25MB .Net download before anything will work (correct me if I'm wrong) although that problem goes away with vista, but then what about everyone with XP.

Consoles never ship with decent up to date standards compliant compilers, they are too rushed into developers hands for that. Shame really. Yet another reason why we must constantly re-invent the wheel and waste years struggling with problems that have alreay been solved i.e. better development languages, game engines, editors, profilers, debuggers, etc.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .NET runtime can be downloaded over Windows Update. I think it's a recommended update but not an automatic one.

Every day I work with C++, I like the sound of D more. C++ templates are both wonderful and hideously wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: