FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Anticipated controls?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Anticipated controls? Reply with quote

Any idea what sort of controls will be necessary (i.e., like the Starscape keyboard button layout)?

Glad to see you guys are taking a look at the old Spectrum games. Been wanting to play Amaurote recently, and I think Mr. Robot will replace it nicely! Smile

tm
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anticipated controls? Reply with quote

idiotcountry2 wrote:
Any idea what sort of controls will be necessary (i.e., like the Starscape keyboard button layout)?

Everything will of course be configurable, but for devlopment purposes, we've been using cursor keys + Z and X.

Movement is aligned with the floor grid - so up is up, like batman on the speccy, and not like Knight Lore (where left and right rotate you by that amount). We also allow 45 movement unlike the old filmation games.

That just leaves Z for jump, and X for use (computer and crane terminals, lift, plus some other crazy items if we get the chance). Oh, and there's also a key for your inventory, and to manage ghost hack items and characters.

We've also been experimenting with mouse controls for the past couple of days. A lot of people will only play games with the mouse, although with Mr. Robot having action orientated controls (so it can't be point and click), we've been trying thing like turning him in the direction of the mouse, and having move forward on a key. So far, it doesn't look good, but we have a few other things to try before completely scrapping the option.

idiotcountry2 wrote:
Glad to see you guys are taking a look at the old Spectrum games. Been wanting to play Amaurote recently, and I think Mr. Robot will replace it nicely! Smile

It's always annoyed use that there aren't games out there like the old filmation games (although perhaps not as soul destroyingly hard Smile )

Amaurote is an excellent game - I can still recall the 128k version music now! Tough game though - aiming those bouncing bombs required skill!
The Dark Bunny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So something like...

Left click: orient toward cursor.
Double click: Move toward cursor (ostensibly with a pathing algorithm to get as close as possible, provided no jumping is required)
Right click: Jump toward cursor.
Double-clicking on an object while facing it will use the object.

I've implemented similar, admittedly with a pre-built engine and pathing system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: