FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Local damage?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Local damage? Reply with quote

Will there be local damage to larger units, so you can kill weapons or tracks of tanks (intentionally or planned) so they are immobile until repaired by an engineer.
Or is you land a critical hit ( artillery or stormhammer missiles anyone) on the talos leg, its an instant kill?

mhh, the possibilities
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if units with multiple weapons can have some of those weapons blown off by glancing hits. A smoking mangled side gun on a still functional tank would look sweet.
Stormlock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall Dune for the Genesis actually had this function on the seige tanks; after taking some damage, they'd only fire from one of their two cannons. Not that anyone in their right mind would use a seige tank in that game fior very long.
Degraine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Behir, a third party unit for TA, had 'battle damage' scripting, although I found it to be a bit buggy. Supposedly its arms would reappear once you repaired it to 90%, but I was left with stumps. Not to mention the arms got blown off if the enemy fired so much as a cap gun at them...

I agree, impaired functionality for units that are heavily damaged would be extremely cool. Another nice 'realistic' addition to a game that already has quite a few. A suggestion, though: Don't make it too prone to kicking in.

One question though - If normal infantry can be healed by medics (who're also trained to repair their armour somehow...), how will mechanised troops be repaired? For the self-sufficiency freaks like myself, will there be any self-repair modules that can be bolted onto vehicles?
Johnh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeworld 2 also incorporated battle damage. In fact, you could tell your fighters to attack the capitol chip module on the mothership, or attack the ion cannons on the Higaraan battleship (a definate must, as those ion cannons HURT). You could also take out the hyper-space module, temporarily denying a player access to a quick escape.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Degraine wrote:
One question though - If normal infantry can be healed by medics (who're also trained to repair their armour somehow...), how will mechanised troops be repaired? For the self-sufficiency freaks like myself, will there be any self-repair modules that can be bolted onto vehicles?

Engineers?

I think medics and engineers are just "normal trooper" + "training xp" + "equipment". So you could choose to add a couple to a squad and get automatic healing and repair but at the risk of them getting killed obviously.
Degraine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Engineers?

I think medics and engineers are just "normal trooper" + "training xp" + "equipment". So you could choose to add a couple to a squad and get automatic healing and repair but at the risk of them getting killed obviously.

Ask an obvious question, get an obvious answer...

*fails his intelligence roll*

But of course the answer prompts more questions, as always. If you can mix and match infantry and vehicle units in a squad (beyond the 'standard issue APC' deal for infantry squads), do the infantry automatically bring an APC with them? Or do they cram in with the tank drivers whenever they have to?

Hope I'm not bugging you guys too much with all these questions. I just hunger for knowledge. And in my own arrogant way, I'm hoping I'm helping development by bringing up these questions. Maybe.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially we were thinking wouldn't it be cool if you could start with a blank slate and totally define the squad any way you want. As time went on it became clear to me that this would be very confusing for people, at least in the early stages although it might still be a cool advanced feature. So it changed into something more sophisticated we call "templates".

When you want a new squad you select the template type infantry, scouts, artillery, etc. The template enforces certain constraints on what you can do to make it easier to create a squad that fits a specific role and is easy to handle. It also creates an initial squad setup so you can play straight away without doing anything more.

So if you want an infantry squad:
1. it always has to have 6->10 people.
2. they have some compulsory and optional weapons that fit what standard cheap infantry should be using i.e. you wont be able to give them sniper rifles or exotic heavy weapons.
3. they must take a light wheeled vehicle or a light tracked vehicle.
4. they way you set up the vehicle defines the maximum size of the squad i.e. if you don't put a lot of equipment in the truck you can get more people in it.
5. the equipment available for the vehicle is what you would expect on an APC i.e. light weapons, basic armour and comms gear.
6. you always have on seargant
7. you can take one medic
8. you can take one engineer
9. etc

So yes the infantry always have their own vehicles of some description and automatically use them.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:

3. they must take a light wheeled vehicle or a light tracked vehicle.

what about a light airframe
i want veitnam stile air calvary
Degraine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite what I meant. Unless you're saying an engineer in an infantry squad can repair an artillery piece in another squad. Which is logical of course, but for some reason I'd pegged inter-squad stuff like that as being too complex.

*fails another intelligence roll*

So, only one engineer per squad? No 'Engineers' template for creating a dedicated vehicle support squad?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a specific squad type called "logistics" that I think this comes under, logistics squads augment men and machines. Logistics consists of supply trucks, medics and engineers. So if don't want to dilute your fighting squads with medics and engineers you can have a dedicated squad of them safe in the rear keeping the artillery company.

squad types:
infantry - cheap + weak
scouts - snipers and artillery spotters
artillery - cannon
assault - tanks
special - radar
logistics - supplies
BluePhoenix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Degraine wrote:

Engineers?

Um...if I may input my two cents: Using "engineers" may not be the best idea. Based on what I've heard from people with experience repairing/building machines, engineers don't know squat about the practical application of their trade - ie. they can design a pretty mech, but they can't make it work. So you'd prolly want to go with "Mechanic".
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usualy in the army engener means someone who builds briges, digs trenches, and removes (or places) landmines
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "engineers" is a quite suitable term to use:

In the UK they are called the "royal engineers", in the US they are called the "US army corp of engineers". Their role is to blow up enemy structures, build defences, keep the army moving, defuse enemy defences, lay mines and fix everything. Sounds about right.

http://www.army.mod.uk/royalengineers/careers/combat/index.htm
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly an engenear has nouthing to do whith the matnince of veacles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: