FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
So what do you think?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: So what do you think? Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Not sure how useful this will be, but we would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the site and the game. Constructive stuff would be nice i.e. "you are great" and "you suck" wont really help Smile As a rough guide;

1. Where did you hear about it?
2. Why did you bother downloading?
3. What put you off and stopped you buying?
4. Do you think the website could be improved?
5. Why did you buy it?

kind of marketing stuff really, might help us improve things...

1. Penny-Arcade
2. Because I was desperate for a new game - don't ask
3. About 10 minutes of time.
4. Forums could be improved, more action-packed screenshots as well.
5. You have a devilish trial period strategy.

I can't really comment except on some specific game and forum tips for improvement. Ummm.

Keep the main cannon from destroying smaller asteroids; it mitigates the effectiveness of the scoops. The drill shouldn't destroy minerals at all; however, I don't know if it does or not because I haven't really given it a check.

Being able to rotate the 1x2 ship parts would be nice.

I noticed for the forums that HTML has an option to be on. Since this is rather game specific, and not as expansive as, say, the PA forums, I think you'll be at low risk from people seeking to abuse this facility, but prudence is still a virtue.

The ability to control the Aegis - just kidding. An alternative would be just to move it around when docked, but that would still be cheap.

For the Aegis maintenance menu, make it so a click on the gun selection part will set it. I hate it when I select a part, right click to exit, and enter a zone without any turrets. And I know this is a strain, but cancel buttons in menus like Research and Build would be nice, instead of having to right click or esc when I check on exactly what I set.

Now I'm really stretching it - audio confirmation of build and research completion like in Starcraft Twisted Evil .

Oh yeah, and mouse compatibility - haven't tried it out with my gamepad yet.

A way to select and move ship parts without having to put them in storage would be nice, especially for an obsessive compulsive Cool .

Make it less addicting - again, just kidding.

Last one - and I don't know if this is already factored, because I'm a save freak: An autosave feature separate from the save files (instead of being the first save slot) so I don't get perpetually nervous about whether my progress has been saved or not.

Well, I hope you give this even just a minimal amount of thought, even though I don't expect any of these to be implemented - the game is great enough as it is. Keep up the good work.

P.S. I have some more tips on how to improve the forum - copied straight off of the PA forums - especially in troubleshooting avatars (from the client end; I can't code a thing). Don't hesitate to ask, if you would so condescend Wink .
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: So what do you think? Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
Oh yeah, and mouse compatibility

Are you saying your mouse doesn't work? It should do, mouse control went in ages ago, although not as comprehensive as it could be (drag and drop ship parts would be nice we admit!) we've not had any problems with it mentioned.

Rigel wrote:
P.S. I have some more tips on how to improve the forum

Yeah fire away! We really appreciate any feedback. I should point out that> html is off because I can't think of any reason for it since you can use the bbcode buttons. Sigs are off, for the rather unexciting reasons that I find they get pretty dull after a while (if you have a point, say it in a post then move on!) but mainly because a couple of multicoloured ones that were five lines deep started hurting my eyes late at night Cool. Also, avatars are locked deliberately at our end (just because missing offsite ones make the board look like rubbish and have a tendency to slow it down.)
Rigel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: So what do you think? Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Rigel wrote:
Oh yeah, and mouse compatibility

Are you saying your mouse doesn't work? It should do, mouse control went in ages ago, although not as comprehensive as it could be (drag and drop ship parts would be nice we admit!) we've not had any problems with it mentioned.

Rigel wrote:
P.S. I have some more tips on how to improve the forum

Yeah fire away! We really appreciate any feedback. I should point out that> html is off because I can't think of any reason for it since you can use the bbcode buttons. Sigs are off, for the rather unexciting reasons that I find they get pretty dull after a while (if you have a point, say it in a post then move on!) but mainly because a couple of multicoloured ones that were five lines deep started hurting my eyes late at night Cool. Also, avatars are locked deliberately at our end (just because missing offsite ones make the board look like rubbish and have a tendency to slow it down.)

Looking back at my suggestions, I can see how some of them are 'outdated' - but when I said mouse compatibility I meant using the mouse in ship mode as well as menu mode - to give more accessible buttons for firing than QWE. In retrospect, it would probably cause some grey area problems, but I guess button optimization is different for every keyboard.

In other boards they have a 'basic rules and guidlines' section at the top of the page to warn against items such as "Hi, I'm new" and repeat threads ... but since this is a concentrated board with a unique demographic (instead of a general chat board) I dont' think that's really paramount. I have more experience trying to fix other people's avatars, so I know how much of a pain it is when the entire left side of the screen is a series of red-x's (or question marks or torn pages). The universal selection of a few avatars does make each poster a little more anonymous, though.

Well, if I get any really 'inspired' ideas, I'll definitely let you know.
gnoff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Where did you hear about it? Control-Alt-Delete

2. Why did you bother downloading? Demo from ad and site is cool!
3. What put you off and stopped you buying? Credit card issues, Not a lot of time to play games
4. Do you think the website could be improved? It's great!
5. Why did you buy it? Demo hooked me.

Man this is a neat and challenging game! LOVE IT!
Brodie.Davis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: So what do you think? Reply with quote

1. Penny Arcade
2. It sort of reminded me of starcontrol
3. I was spending all my money on a new athlon64 system Smile
5. The demo brought back alot of memories of starcontrol, and it was alot of fun.. And the plain up cc billing made it pretty painless (there arn't many good games around for $41NZD).
J.S.Fox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about the game from banner ads on PvP and Penny Arcade, possibly elsewhere as well. I rarely click on banners, but the 2D graphics in them grabbed me -- I specifically recall the banners with the player ships of different size really intriguing me. The style of graphics is uncommon now, and I got a sense of strategy and intellegence from the different variations of the same style of ship.

I decided to download because I was impressed by the website and screenshots, and was desparate for games. Wink The website and screenshots of the game reinforced that this might be worth looking into.

I did not initially buy the game. While I did enjoy it, I was concerned that I would get bored. The mining was slow, and the enemies were easy. I didn't find it challenging or rewarding enough to sustain me, and didn't feel the price was worth it.

I like the website. I think it was done well. It has a distinct style.

I finally bought the game because I was bored, and needed a new game. Uplink looked good too, and I was leaning that direction, but it doesn't have a downloadable full version for the PC, that was critical for my decision. $25 made me wary, since I'm not very wealthy, but it was manageable. I found that it became increasingly challenging, and the technology was rewarding.

By the way, the cannon for the Aegis is great. Those solid beam weapons are always things to avoid in other games -- this one it was on your side. I loved that.
Canthlian

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: So what do you think? Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
5. Why did you buy it?

1) Banner ads on various webcomics, but it was the side-bar ad on Something Positive that finally made me click.

2) I didn't, at first, but the idea made me curious, and it's hard to find good arcade style gameplay these days, so I got the demo.

3) Stubbornness. Razz

4) It's functional, descriptive, and well designed. I have no problems with it.

5) Because after half completing Zone One, I heard the little voice in the back of my brain mumbling "Starscape" over and over again, so I figured I was addicted. Well worth the price.
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wehalk

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUComics.com

Seemed similar to a game I played, and loved before (outdated now).

Not put off, still considering buying it.

Love the web site.

5. Why did you buy it?
See #3

I really enjoyed the game and yes it is VERY similar to a game I played long ago called StarControl II. I loved that game but sadly, StarControl III flopped and they never updated SCII to work in 2000/XP.

Things that I noted in the demo version:

1) Might want to incorporate a back button on the menus to allow you to back up a level.

2) Menus were kinda tough to move through, but I am not sure how to make this eaiser than you already have. Just takes some getting used to I guess. (translation: I need to buy the game so I can get used to the menus. Wink )

I was wondering if you might be adding multi-player to Starscape in the near future? That would be a great feature.

Wehalk
Canthlian

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wehalk wrote:
I really enjoyed the game and yes it is VERY similar to a game I played long ago called StarControl II. I loved that game but sadly, StarControl III flopped and they never updated SCII to work in 2000/XP.

*Cough*

Just a heads up. Smile
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wehalk wrote:
I was wondering if you might be adding multi-player to Starscape in the near future? That would be a great feature.

It's not part of any plan for a Starscape 1 update, but Battlescape is (fingers crossed and no promises disclaimer) going to bring us multiplayer technology that we can use in other games, so Starscape 2 or an expansion pack could potentially incorporate that. Do a search for 'multiplayer' on the forums; there's a ton of suggestions and you are welcome to add your own.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canthlian wrote:
Just a heads up. Smile

I'm just trying to get into that right now. Poo Bear played Star Control years ago, but I've never played it.

First attempt was a pretty bad experience, in fact I almost gave up on it, but I've just discovered the manual Smile
Canthlian

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Be warned, don't delay too long. I played that several months ago, got a really good ship, then the pre-timed events started up and I was like, "What the hell?! I just lost Earth!"

After that, I didn't play it much more. Wink
Bobacles

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canthlian wrote:
Heh. Be warned, don't delay too long. I played that several months ago, got a really good ship, then the pre-timed events started up and I was like, "What the hell?! I just lost Earth!"

After that, I didn't play it much more. Wink

That's why the starbase captain says you should mine for only a year.
Wehalk

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually still have the original box, manual and program that I bought back in 1992 for SCII.

I reviewed the information for SCII at the website and after comparing it to Starscape this is what I have determined:

1) SCII is still in an "Alpha" state, meaning it is buggy. They are working to fix this but it could be up to a year before they release a full working version. Starscape is in full release and updates are being made to improve the performance.

2) SCII is being transferred as a "straight port". Meaning they are doing a straight transfer of the old game, no additions, no changes graphically or game-wise. Additions/Add-ons might come in the future, but nothing is guaranteed and that could be over a year away. If you have played and completed SCII, then there will be nothing new for you. Starscape is a NEW game entirely. New aliens, new content and graphically, totally blows SCII away. Starscape has the ability to be expanded on and in the near future (hopefully) will support multi-play. Although SCII might be able to do this at some point, nothing is guaranteed.

In short, Starscape is a much more stable product, with the ability to expand and become huge. SCII needs a lot of work.

I personally like Starscape and will most probably buy it this weekend.

I did not get deep into Starscape so I don't know if this is actually part of the game or not, but:

1) Do you plan to incorporate new playable/configurable alien ships in the future? Different ships with different fighting styles would make for a tatically stimulating game.

I still like SCII just because it "was" a great game but for now I think I am a die hard Starscaper.

BTW: Good luck on the multi-player port for Battlescape. I hope it works out and I look forward to when it "does" come out for Starscape. Wink

Wehalk
Bobacles

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) SCII is still in an "Alpha" state, meaning it is buggy. They are working to fix this but it could be up to a year before they release a full working version. Starscape is in full release and updates are being made to improve the performance.

Even so, it is still possible to beat the game. It is suprisingly stable for an alpha version- It really is at the point where it should be upped to beta, or even full.
Quote:
2) SCII is being transferred as a "straight port".

Even straight ports have a few changes. Ur-Quan masters has new music and sound effects, as well as complete dialogue for every conversation.
The new music is incredible. I recommend downloading it just for the music. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: