FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
August-04: Networking and Scripting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Developer Diary View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Moonpod Developer Diary RSS feed -RSS Feed
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Floating point variance Reply with quote

Martoon` wrote:
Yes, there are software FPUs, but they're prohibitively slow (compared to a modern CPU's hardware FPU) to the point that they would make a 3D game unplayable.

You don't need to use the software FPU for everything, only for calculating game-state that might become desynchronised. It's okay to use mildly inconsistent hardware FPU for purely cosmetic elements, which can be an awful lot. It doesn't matter if the cloud of smoke particles on my screen isn't identical to the one on your screen so long as they're in the same place and have pretty much the same shape. I would imagine the key is to figure out a means of separating the core values requiring 100% consistency from the cosmetic values that are derived from them. Then again, our course never covered this, so I don't really know.
morduin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
I think people are moving more toward auto uv mapped models and 3d painting packages. I actually enjoy UV mapping, although I've never met anyone else who does Smile It's a bit like a 3 dimensional puzzle game in itself...

Laughing If you ever get around to making those tutorials for wings3d and include a well done UV map tutorial- id make a model in your honor.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd love to do some tutorials for wings, but I know how long they would take to do right so I keep procrastinating on the idea.
vulpineblaze

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know how useful this idea is, but theres two aspects of RTS-like games I've seen explored very breifly, but were worth much more in my opinion. First, the build/repair abilities featured in Total Annihilation. having a gang of workers on one project you -need- done, or have an on-scene worker as a 'repair-medic' was truly awesome. The other, seen in a game called "M.A.X." was where you could research incresed speed, attack, armor, cost efficientcy, ammo, etc.. but on equipment that wasn't meant to be fast, the speed upgrades cost more and did less. however, it was still possible, if you really wanted, to make an ultra-fast heavy-assault tank, or a super-cheap version of a first level unit if you wanted to spend tthe time/resources on it. so many possibilities and tactics can arise if those two idea were added to almost any game in that genre that I can think of. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Developer Diary All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: