FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Suggestions for updates,expansion packs, or new versions.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for updates,expansion packs, or new versions. Reply with quote

I thought I would start a thread offering suggestion for future version of Starscape. Maybe there could be a 1.1 version that adds a few new fun things. [crossing fingers]

Some of these would be easy changes and some are more involved.

1.) I don't like the limit of 100 mineral storage capacity on the Aegis. If you are able to hold an infinite amount of modules and ship hulls why would you not be able to hold more minerals? [maybe you could build additional cargo bays]

2.) Auto save option… would have helped me out a couple of times.

3.) Shielding for the Aegis – Ideally I would like to see the Aegis as just another ship hull where you can fill it with various components.

4.) Ability to use more than one power supply or engine if the ship hull has room.

5.) Auto mining ships – Mining is a lot of fun early in the game. Later in the game I have more fun blasting the aliens. Another option could be an asteroid mining hull ship, or special components that really speed up the mining process (360 degree graviton beam with instant lock on)

6.) Armor as a component. Increase the maximum HP of your ship.

7.) More of everything… Very Happy

Replay ability/Game Time/Infinite Research

I know I was a little disappointed when I maxed out the tech research. I have played another Astroid style game called “Dreamstars 3”. In this game you customized your ship between each level with various components you collected, what was interesting is that your components would endlessly get better and better. Of course the enemies would also get tougher and tougher as well. It was a lot of fun to see just how powerful you could get your ship before you finally bit the dust. Here is a link to that game http://www.icarusindie.com/Dreamstars/ds_features.htm

I’m not sure how this would apply to Starscape, but maybe it will spark some ideas.
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, big list of stuff Wink

I'm probably going to disappoint a bunch of people now, but it's safe to say you won't see these features in Starscape 1. There comes a point at which we have to say the game is "feature complete", and this generally happens before the beta test. Unless something significant occurs, the only changes we can make to the code are bug fixes.

However, it's not all bad Wink. If we do make a sequel in the future (it's not certain right now, but we'll see how things go), then we would definitely consider all suggestions that have been made, and any new ones. So, feel free to post stuff, but please don't get too disappointed when it doesn't appear in the current game.

cheers,
adamschroeder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand... but as you said you never know.

Maybe this is already factored into the score somehow, but what about showing how long (in game time) it took to complete it?

That might give it a little more sense of urgency, rather than sitting around and mining till you have the best of everything.

I imagine depending on how you coded the game that this might be a really easy thing to add... or a lot of work if you are not already keeping track of it in some way.

Again if this is factored into the score somehow it wouldn't be necassary.
Shy1117

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a mining ship and a 360 degree beem.

One thing I was disapointed with was when I upgraded to the best 'mining beem'. I saw no difference compared to the lowest beem. I expected at least a faster beem. The only real difference might have been a slightly larger range and of course the color. Cool
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During testing players asked for an extra gravity beam upgrade that protected resources as they were dragged in and had a bigger range. When activated any resources in the beam become temporarily stronger and are less likely to get smashed by collision as you process them.
sno

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to suggest a higher resolution. most of the time when i'm blowing up ships i don't even get to see it cuz they're all off screen.
Jojo The Coward

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse support. The Aegis can get a little cumbersome with only a keyboard to navigate with. The starmaps are hard, also. Otherwise though, the control is excellent.
Absynthe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to second mouse support for the menu interfaces.

Speaking of interfaces, I would suggest that using a tabbed interface in the R&D would help separate the components of Research and Development better. It looks weird hitting a butotn and having a section appear beneath it. Using tabs to cycle between the two components would make more sense to me.

Other than that, this game doesn't need anything else except a sequel. Very Happy
sno

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one else thinks that 640x480 is a LITTLE bit out dated and small? my normal screen setting is at 1280x1024 and playing games that are at 800x600 seems small.
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wanted the game to run on a large range of hardware, not just the latest and greatest. As an example, it's playable on a Voodoo3 (although it does slow down a little when things get really hectic). Also, we needed to keep the download size down, and the amount of work for Nick within reasonable amounts. So producing sprites to look their best at a single resolution was the way to go in that respect.

Our next title will run at a higher resolution. With titles after that we're moving to an all new 3d engine, so that will be more flexible and you'll be able to pick and choose whatever resolution/bit depth/refresh you prefer Smile
Nossie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goober wrote:
we needed to keep the download size down, and the amount of work for Nick within reasonable amounts. So producing sprites to look their best at a single resolution was the way to go in that respect.

1. I second the autosave... I just got my a** waxed.. and I'm going to bed now because my save was 3 hours ago Embarassed (maybe every major event and not every jump)

2. I do think the resolution is a smidgen dodgy...BUT from recent experience a low resolution doesnt mean mega blocky... This game and one other abondonware game I downloaded a week or so ago (EpicM :Jazz Jack Rabbit 2) is prutty clear even at resolutions such as 640x480.... I do think it would put perspective buyers off tho, unless they'd played the demo that is Laughing

3. mouse support... maybe not for game play.. we arent playing Doom 3 or Unreal Tourney here right? but mices on menus would be nice Razz

EDIT: I need to remember and censor my own posts in this forum Cool
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nossie wrote:
3. mouse support... maybe not for game play.. we arent playing Doom 3 or Unreal Tourney here right? but mices on menus would be nice Razz

Quck! Get the latest patch it adds mouse support to all menu screens Smile
Adonis

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind having just three resources - if you want you can imagine them falling into the categories above. Smile I was half expecting the good Doctor to name them part way through, or comment on them or something.

A few more types of friendly/unfriendly aliens (I grew up on Starflight and Starcontrol

Very Happy ) though with *this* story it makes sense there are only two.

A bit more optional interaction with the crew would be nice. Weapon advice from Bud, a bit of where to harvest minerals from the scientist. Things like that.

Having other people take duty shifts or seen in the background as you rescue them would be a nice touch.

A few different scenerios for boss fights. A 'chase' where you have to travel along a long battleship. A fight in an asteroid field where you have to take out the bosses point defence -- and let the asteroids finish the job.

Mostly Starscape 2-type suggestions, I guess, but something to think about.
natess44

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Multiplayer Reply with quote

The only thing I think the game really needs is a multiplayer option for hours of fun destroying each other Smile. Other than that this game is awsome.
Shy1117

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about being able to add a second L4 engine? I know I could use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: