FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Question about the robots
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Question about the robots Reply with quote

This may be too early to ask such a thing, how will the AI fit in with the atmosphere?

Like, will there be any friendlies that may try to distract enemies for you? Or will there be something like generators for you to shut down, which will cause some specific group of robots to shut down? Or possibly the ability to hack into a robot and change it's alliegance(sorry for the horrible spelling) or take control of it temporarlly? Will the enemies have differant types of sensors to pick you up with (like proximity, motion, sight, etc)?

Take you're time answering and thank you for reading this!
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about the robots Reply with quote

[RRF]Centipede wrote:
This may be too early to ask such a thing

Yes, right now it's too early to say: we are right on the cusp of getting actual gameplay in there (It's weird because we can see the robot in there, and make rooms and link them together - it looks quite finished in some respects and yet we aren't able to go through any true gameplay testing that we need to do yet).

Most of the initial robots actually need to be quite predictable in their behaviour: it's from this predictability that gameplay can actually be born. that might sound odd, but in some of the simpler rooms, we want enemy bots to behave in certain ways so you can influence them. For instance, if you know a bot behaves in a certain way when it meets an obstacle, you will be able to change it's movement pattern by manoeuvring things into its path.

We have talked about additional robot types on top of what we have already listed, that might for instance have 90 degree sensors (we'd probably show this with some sort of glowing eye triangle). they would only attack if they 'saw' you, so you'd need to make sure you kept behind them or out of view. So there would be an element of stealth gameplay - nothing as advanced as Metal Gear Solid thouh Very Happy (Roboto Snake!). This isn't on my initial list though, so it might not make it into the game (That sounds bad - but as I said, it's very early and we have yet to do any gameplay testing. If we feel the game needs that, you can be sure it will be in there, but it might not be as good as some of the other stuff we have in mind).

Currently we have no plans to do anything where you can take over other robots - I think that would require a game design around ot from scratch - a bit more like Paradroid. That takes me back - Paradroid rocked!
Other than that - there will be at least one friendly robot that will help you out - and on paper, that section looks like it will be totally cool, I'm really hoping it will be as good as we have envisioned it will be. Very Happy
[RRF]Centipede

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about the robots Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Most of the initial robots actually need to be quite predictable in their behaviour: it's from this predictability that gameplay can actually be born. that might sound odd, but in some of the simpler rooms, we want enemy bots to behave in certain ways so you can influence them.

Doesn't sound odd at all. AI actually seems to be better when it's simple but applied to the right situations.

Thanks for such a quick response. It's nice to get to hear about what's going on! Smile
BluePhoenix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOo! I like the way it sounds so far Fost! Definately gonna be a game I'll be interested in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: