FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
VB6 as a games development language...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravitron wrote:
Is runescape a joke or not? (death 2 java).

Well the obvious answer is NO it is not a joke it is a hugely popular mmorpg.

Rolling Eyes

Just recently they hit 100k paying subscribers and around ~700k free account players, partly this was the result of continued work expanding the game world and the new graphics engine in runescape2.

Give it a try, you can play for free and it is good fun. It looks pretty basic but it has all the usual mmorpg elements (stats, dungeons, magic, crafting, etc) and runs in your browser. If you've never played a mmorpg and want to know what all the fuss is about you can get this up and running on very basic hardware in a few minutes.

www.runescape.com
Gravitron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantity != quality, and I should not need to tell you that.

I don't need to give it a try. I know runescape.
And frankly, I prefer UO to that.

Yes, I never played a MPOG RPG, sure...Rolling Eyes (Death 2 BB Games)

Silentdragz,
Hmm...I doubt you are "our" silent dragon.
Trust me, a lot of SubSpace players "really need professional help".

Quote:
To be honest, I don't think I'd ever want to write a game that is that much of a negative influence on people's lives.

Well, you are obviously not much of a gamer, not in my sense of it.
True gamers, are much like californian surfers, we keep seeking that perfect wave, the ultimate experience.
A true gamer, would not only wish to play such a game, he would wish to take part in its making.
That's the only thing that can beat playing a great game - participate in the creation proccess of it, sort of like giving birth in a sense (the assortment of the likes of moonpod I believe can understand more what I'm talking about).
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravitron wrote:
Quantity != quality, and I should not need to tell you that.

What are you talking about? The question was about the validity of programming languages other than C/C++/ASM. Runescape is a popular, commercial, money making release written in Java that makes money.

Gravitron wrote:
I don't need to give it a try. I know runescape.
And frankly, I prefer UO to that.

Yep, I'd rather play UO than runescape, played UO for about 18months and very good it was at the time. These days i'm happy playing Everquest2. What's your point?

I sense the presence of a potential troll in the making Wink
Gravitron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sense the presence of a potential commersionalized money-chasing company person in the making.
You're geeting a tad greedy there, you sway away from the indie ideals.
So what if they're making money, who give a dungheap?
SOE screwed up many games, they're still making money off vending poor beta vers with "Retail" tag over them to people as P2P games.
And Rod is going to fail, EQ2 is going to crash.
Rod sold over, he's no longer a designer, not a true gamer, he's just another one in a row of money-chasing monkeys.
He's a traitor and he's dead to me.
Brad is going to take Vanguard, with a giant MS snow shoveler infront, and roll over SOE and EQ2 crashing them under his tracks.

Don't call me a troll, it makes me mad, you don't want me to get quicksilver madness.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, troll if you ask me... Wink
Japlish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravitant - please will you explain all of the abbreviates you make?
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravitron wrote:
So what if they're making money, who give a dungheap?

You've just proven that either (a) you are independantly wealthy, don't need to think about money and have lost touch with reality, or (b) you have no idea what you're talking about.

Let's get the topic back on track - VB6 as a programming language, yay or nay.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay

If the task is fairly processor light then go for it.
If the task is interface heavy like many simulation/strategy games then it might even save a lot of time.
If the 3D requirement is light and Microsofts DX support for VB works then even better.

Take a look at the original Civilisation, one of the biggest selling PC games of all time, no reason why you couldn't do that in VB6. Not that i'm suggesting you clone that game, i'm sick of seeing indie titles that are just clones of high street hits. You get the idea though.

I wouldn't say VB6 is an ideal game development platform though, just that if you know it well already and it can do the job then why not. If you're starting from scratch, your game isn't that demanding and you want to get something working sooner rather than later then blitzBasic is probably ideal.

If on the other hand you want ultimate power, flexibility and have a few years spare plus you want the chance of a future job in the games industry then C++/DirectX is the ticket.
SilentDragz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
yay

If the task is fairly processor light then go for it.
If the task is interface heavy like many simulation/strategy games then it might even save a lot of time.
If the 3D requirement is light and Microsofts DX support for VB works then even better.

Take a look at the original Civilisation, one of the biggest selling PC games of all time, no reason why you couldn't do that in VB6. Not that i'm suggesting you clone that game, i'm sick of seeing indie titles that are just clones of high street hits. You get the idea though.

I wouldn't say VB6 is an ideal game development platform though, just that if you know it well already and it can do the job then why not. If you're starting from scratch, your game isn't that demanding and you want to get something working sooner rather than later then blitzBasic is probably ideal.

If on the other hand you want ultimate power, flexibility and have a few years spare plus you want the chance of a future job in the games industry then C++/DirectX is the ticket.

I looked up my local college's prospectus on the net last night, but it's this year's, not next year's, so I'm gonna wait a lil longer and check again - I will eventually learn C++, but right now I just wanna get it done sooner rather than later Razz Maybe the sequel will be C++, I dunno =/

I'm liking PlayBasic (which I'm using because I can't get hold of BlitzBasic while the site is down), but it's pretty hard because the documentation is incomplete and not that many people use it, so there's a lack of source avaliable to learn from - I'm gonna go download the IBASIC pro trial now and see how I like it.l
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to come across as a blitzBasic fanboy Wink but the more popular a language is the more likely it is to be stable, well documented, supported and most importantly have an active community using it (who you can talk to when things go wrong).

I did just notice my favourite landscape editor has built in support for blitzBasic www.geoscape3d.net
SilentDragz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
I don't want to come across as a blitzBasic fanboy Wink but the more popular a language is the more likely it is to be stable, well documented, supported and most importantly have an active community using it (who you can talk to when things go wrong).

I did just notice my favourite landscape editor has built in support for blitzBasic www.geoscape3d.net

If I could get hold of blitzbasic I'd try it Razz
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilentDragz wrote:
If I could get hold of blitzbasic I'd try it Razz

Blitzbasic site is back up, they've just today announced 'blitzmax' a new 2D only toolset for Mac only -with PC and Linux on the way.
That's really cool - one set of code, compiled to Mac and PC all for $80.

Blitz3D is windows only, but I wonder if they'll be trying to port that over too?
guillett

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VB for games? Ugh... just... just ugh.

Granted, I don't have any experience with the DirectX controls, and it's been a while since I've used VB, but I recall graphics-intensive programs being an absolute nightmare. Setting up the GUI was always a breeze, though. VB is terrific and fast for apps - I dunno if I could recommend it for games though.

BlitzBasic is remarkably fast, stable and powerful for what is essentially a scripting language. I don't know much about some of the other Basic variants being mentioned here, but I do know that Blitz will run faster on a lower spec machine than the same program in DarkBasic Pro, and will be more stable to boot. Blitz does have some issues with some of the higher-level commands though (the collision detection can be iffy between objects moving at high speeds, and the sprite system gets slow once you put over a hundred or so objects on screen), so you will end up making lots of functions to replace some of that if your game needs a high-ish level of complexity. Or you could just download some of the bajillions of open source libs for it (rumor is that Anthony Flack might be open-sourcing the sprite system he used for Platypus). Anyhoo, it's worth trying the demo, and there are a retarded number of BlitzBasic fanboys for a reason Smile

BTW - rumor on BlitzMax is that there will be a 3D lib sold as an add-on in about 6 months to a year.
tysoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitzmax has just come out, been using blitz3d for the last 18 months, and now we suddenly have a cross platform version that resembles C++.

The cool thing is that it's all OOP and most of the language is written in itself in the form of modules, and you get the source for most of these modules too so you can pretty much modify the engine as you like.

want to se some of my old blitz3D stuff?

http://s93153354.onlinehome.us/media/Media.htm

aside from programming the old blitz3D also had the most amazing 3dsmax plugins, animated lights, fog, cameras, morphs, brushes straight from the 3dsmax track viewer.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravitron wrote:
Trust me, a lot of SubSpace players "really need professional help".

yah my dad falls into that catagory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: