FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
RIP Steve Jobs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: RIP Steve Jobs Reply with quote

Steve Jobs was not a saint as some of the media seem to be implying and he admitted himself that Apple hadn't really changed the world in any fundamental way. I think there is a fairly new movement in IT and software, to put people first and Apple figure highly in that. Too often you get great software and devices, but they demand that you think the way THEY want you to think, that you bend to them and it shouldn't be like that. Microsoft are only just starting to get it, win7 is a big improvement. Game development is sorely lacking, we need better development languages and tools that let people think more naturally and release their creative freedom. When I look at 3DStudio I have nightmares Smile

Anyway, towards the end he seemed to mellow and say some interesting things:

'Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.'

http://www.develop-online.net/news/38814/In-his-own-words-15-inspiring-Steve-Jobs-quotes
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Steve Jobs Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
I think there is a fairly new movement in IT and software, to put people first and Apple figure highly in that.

I've got numerous news stories of apps/games being rejected from the App Store that beg to disagree with that. Restricting choice (and in some cases, free speech) isn't putting people first.
Poo Bear wrote:
Too often you get great software and devices, but they demand that you think the way THEY want you to think, that you bend to them and it shouldn't be like that.

I'd argue that that's even more true with Apple than with any other tech company. I'm free to customise nearly any part of my computer (both hardware and software) and when it comes to my phone I can at least add an SD card for storage, which is more than can be said for the iPhone. And at least I can get apps for my Android phone from places other than the official app store (in this case, the Market) without having to root it.

Although I may not like practically everything to come out of Apple, I certainly can't deny Jobs' achievements. Apple was nearly dead a bit over a decade ago and now it's one of the biggest tech companies. Not many people can achieve a turnaround like that.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of Apple products, they are closed off and very expensive, the app market place has taken a hit driven games industry and made it even worse. By \"put people first\" I was too generic, what I meant was, I know lots of people who are quite intelligent but struggle with PCs and Microsoft apps in particular. There is great freedom, but a certain level of 'techyness' is required that puts people off.

Whereas, the people I know with Macs / iphone / ipads, they all seem to love them and have fewer problems. Sure, Apple dictate exactly what and how they get stuff done, but they DO seem to get stuff done without any fuss and without a great deal of in depth knowledge about what they are doing (which may be a down side, but perhaps is a bonus for many people).
steve smith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: RIP Reply with quote

RIP steve .
I'm not a fan of Apple products, they are closed off and very expensive, the app market place has taken a hit driven games industry and made it even worse. By \"put people first\" I was too generic, what I meant was, I know lots of people who are quite intelligent but struggle with PCs and Microsoft apps in particular. There is great freedom, but a certain level of 'techyness' is required that puts people off.

Whereas, the people I know with Macs / iphone / ipads, they all seem to love them and have fewer problems. Sure, Apple dictate exactly what and how they get stuff done, but they DO seem to get stuff done without any fuss and without a great deal of in depth knowledge about what they are doing (which may be a down side, but perhaps is a bonus for many people).
best regards
steve smith
Writer at best dissertation writing services UK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: