FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Digital revolution
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Digital revolution Reply with quote

an inflammatory, but interesting programme about the \"revolution\" in gaming as things start to go digital.

part1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmHrOcWVr3o&feature=related

part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7urDz_J-Gg&feature=player_embedded

I guess this was why Molyneux made these comments:

\"Traditionally indie-friendly platforms, such as Android and the App Store, offer a “window of opportunity” for small developers.
But here’s the problem, we are just one or two games of high production quality away from all this coming to an end. That’s my belief. It’s inevitable that a Star Wars or Disney game, a five million dollar iPhone project, will be released. And when it does, consumers are going to like it. Don’t expect this to last forever.

Triple-A is here to stay. When TV came along it didn’t replace the movie industry. Social gaming is like TV. It is going to co-exist because, frankly, there’s too much money in it. Slowly the publishers are moving in on this space. They will nibble away at the market. ”

So the big publishers are taking note of the WorldOfGoo's and Braids, they are coming!! Wink
Rup

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's already games like GTA, Sims and Civilization Revolution for the iPhone / iPod touch. GTA was £5 - can't remember the others.

GTA is actually pretty good - it's the one game where I can tolerate the fake on-screen joystick - but never really engaged me that much because I don't spend extended times playing on my iPod, or don't mean to at least, and there's a minimum time you need to play to complete a mission. For a quick game I still go to Plants vs Zombies or one of the old classics like Canabalt.

I'd thoroughly recommend Canabalt BTW - to steal someone else's review it's "a simple idea brilliantly executed". The flash demo on the website is an older version and it plays much better touch-screen than mouse-click anyway.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is an odd comment as a lot AAA games came to ipod when it launched and they tried to sell them for $20 and failed. Perhaps Molyneux thinks that the ipod/ipad audience is now big enough that they can have another go at the shocking $5 price and make enough to justify it.

costs = $5million

price = $4.99
apple take 30% = $1.50
revenue per sale = $3.49

break even = 1.5 million units

but someone like EA has shareholders to satisfy and they demand BIG profits, plus EA has to cover the dev costs of titles that fail. So you could be looking at a desired income of $25million = 7 million units

How many people are using an ipod? Tricky to say because people replace their phones every ~18months, so it isn't the 200+ million apple claims to have sold. Probably more like 75million in active use, which would mean 1in10 people buying, which seems unlikely.

Although, all those figures could be up ended with "In App Purchases" - this little bit of psychological torture allows people to sell games cheap (or free) and then coerce players into making impulse one-click purchases of in game items. Usually things that run and out and need re-purchasing in the future. So it might be 50c for 25 bullet clip of "goes through anything" ammo, etc. Much harder to get proper figures on how those systems perform, but allegedly humans are VERY susceptible to that kind of suggestion (hence Zynga making hundreds of millions on facebook).
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rup wrote:
I'd thoroughly recommend Canabalt BTW - to steal someone else's review it's "a simple idea brilliantly executed". The flash demo on the website is an older version and it plays much better touch-screen than mouse-click anyway.

Funnily enough I went to a talk by the developer Adam Saltsman at GameCity games convention in Nottingham where he was demoing Canabalt. Really nice guy. He was talking about flixel which is a free sdk to help put together games in flash. He made this game with it in 5 days (!). It's really fun, which surprised me as it's only one button.

Another fun one button game is "Fishie Fishie" - think there is even an xbox/wii/ipod version of it too.
http://www.farbs.org/Fishie%20Fishie%20Setup.exe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: