FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
So what do you think?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gau wrote:

A branching, sizable tech tree combined with some sort of multi-player-friendly turf war raging inside The Grid would make for a pretty sweet game, I think.

Adding on to the multi player idea... I'm thinking MMO. Have a sort of Guild inspiration, where people can rent 'public' jumpships to go from node to node or make their own organization, save up the creds, and purchase a private jumpship. The different tech trees could take the place of conventional RPG weapon shops and experience systems. You could have something better than Continuum (Which will be very hard... should moonpod choose to challenge that particular bit of top-down godliness I'd be rooting for you guys).
The Dark Bunny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.118 wrote:
Just finished the game, and am in a 'princly' 186th place. So I thought I'd share my thoughts.

1. Where did you hear about it?

Blank Label Comics

2. Why did you bother downloading?

Looked interesting, had a bit of free time. Thought why not?

3. What put you off and stopped you buying?

The timed demo nearly put me off. I hate time limited demos. Couldn't you have just limited it to the first zone + no saves?

4. Do you think the website could be improved?

Custom Avatars would be nice, but that's just nit-picking.

And of course 'more content' is always welcome.

5. Why did you buy it?

Hmm... I dunno... Hey! I want my money back! Twisted Evil

6. If you could add one thing to Starscape, what would it be?

I already mentioned this somewhere else, but it would be nice if escape or some other key skipped an entire batch of dialogue, because it's a bit annoying if (when) I keep failing against a boss, and have to watch the same dialogue over and over again.

I also think that the Xenarch outposts were a wasted chance to add some more varied missions. The first and fifth zones were obviously different, but it would have been nice to have some more varied objectives than 'gather lots of resources' for the zones in between.

In fact, I thought that just in general the zones were all just too similar. One lost crew node, one Xenarch outpost, one new capital ship and one boss fight. Why not throw in two lost crew nodes into one zone just to make it seem a little less designed?

Also nice would have been a few Xenarch ships flying around, just around their outpost, or even if it's just actually in the Xenarch node itself. They claim to be fighting the Archnid, but you never actually see this. Also, it would be nice if you actually saw the Archnid fighting each other occasionally, as they are apparently supposed to be doing.

Also, it would be nice if the Instant Action was increased to include more scenarios. For instance, once you've beaten a certain zone boss, you can take them on again in Instant Action mode.

A tertiary fire would be nice as well, so that you can have 1: Unlimited Ammo weapons 2: Missiles (limited ammo, but still enough to use regularly) and 3: Nova bombs (to be used only in case of emergency)

And of course, once again 'more content'.

I am, of course, aware that most of that would be way to much work for a mere update but I just thought I'd put it out there in case you do a sequel or something.

What he said, almost to the letter.
KJK::Hyperion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the ad at PennyArcade. Absolutely loved the graphics, wasn't sure about downloading since at the time I had a Pentium II 350, 192 MB RAM, 8 MB VRAM and I couldn't "afford" anything more complex than Quake II

I love the 2D space shooter genre. At first I thought it was a vertical R-Type clone, then I discovered it was more like Blasteroids and liked it even more. Then I saw I barely met the hardware requirements and decided you guys must have secretly loved me
DogBoy
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I heard about Starscape on the Origins website. Downloaded it because I usually try most of the nominees and winners. It was great and I bought it. End of story?
muzzz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ad, although I don't remember on which site.

An ad for a 2D shooter? In 2006?!? I have to see this...

The fact that only payments using 'cards are supported through the website.

Of course! Although I can't think of any specific tips at the moment... Wink

5. Why did you buy it?
Because I'm in need of a new arcade shooting game after finishing raptor for the umpteenth time, and most of the free stuff doesn't cut it anymore for me.

6. If you could add one thing to Starscape, what would it be?
More website than starscape, but I'd add PayByCash support. The iDeal method of payment, which can be supported through them, is by far the most comfortable way to make an online payment I've seen.
Chrisj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Starscape I saw an ad somewhere (I forget where exactly, but not Penny Arcade for once). Mr Robot I'd been reading the Dev diaries for months, but have noticed the adverts on the Girl Genius website and would definitely have investigated from those. Fost does good ads.

Nice looking ad, nice looking screenshots on the site here.

I would probably have bought sooner if the demo had been a little longer (say 40 mins locked in zone 1, rather than 20 mins). I've seen a few games that have really good ideas that are all in the demo and just get boring after that.

Also, I have bad RSI and the interface (especially for ship construction) requires lots and lots of clicking that could be avoided.... But the game was worth the pain Wink

Probably, but I can't think of anything specific.

5. Why did you buy it?

Because I liked it. Very Happy
Izawwlgood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this site is even checked still, but for what its worth, great job, I love this game, and came back to it after playing it briefly in '04ish.

I've since started playing EVE online though, and as such had a bit higher expectations for content in Starscape. I understand its all about the action, so you guys were trying to minimize time spent turtling, but I would have liked to see more content. That I could research everything but the bonus technologies by the 2nd zone put a damper on my enjoyment.

More ships to pilot, to cater to combat/flying choices, more neato mods for the ships, more things to build with the aegis (mining drones, repulsion fields, range weapons, short distance weapons, etc), and perhaps more depth to gathering resources.

Again, great game, I just want more! SS2?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the Eve mailing list just to get the amazing ingame trailer videos they produce Smile

http://myeve.eve-online.com/download/videos/?type=2

I tried to get into it, but the learning curve is a bit steep and I don't have much free time. An online Starscape2 would be cool though, not as grand as Eve obviously.
Izawwlgood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Hello there Poo bear!

I'm hoping starscape isn't AS immersive as EvE, thats why I paid for it again! I like being able to sit down, shoot off a half hour or so of gameplay (no mention of the 2 hrs straight I put in lastnight... NO MENTION!), and be done with it. I like not having to rely on corp mates to get stuff done, and I like not having to train for 1 year to get to the combat effectiveness I enjoy.

That said, Starscape2 could just be an improvement/expansion on the awesomeness that is Starscape.

If you want to get into EvE, its got a learning curve a bit like snowboarding: You'll be on your bum for a few days, probably even sore for a bit, but give it a bit (week or two) and you'll be heading towards awesomeness.
Reeunk Afterburner

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on the "Toys for Bob" chat plugged it.

Paul Reiche III checked it out during the chat and said it looked interesting. When one of the developers of Star Control II gives a nod it's worth checking out.

The cr@ppy thruster control. (See rant thread below.)
Also the price was a little steep for an indie title.
However, I bought the game like 30 minutes after I saw it, for a little perspective on the above complaints ...

5. Why did you buy it?
Gameplay. Even with bad thruster controls you guys really hit the sweet spot. There are a lot of little things that taken together are more than the sum of the parts:
The ability to give the Mothership move orders and outfit it for mining or fighting lets you decide whether and how to deploy it.
The ability to configure both Mothership and fighters give you a ton of gameplay options.
Time doesn't pass while you're configuring. You have time to think through your designs and doctrine.
The enemies aren't just randomly generated (except the space worm cheese). The AI is building and deploying them in reaction to you.
The "race against time" aspect is organic to the situation in the same way as the real-time strategy genre: the AI is competing with you for resources, so if you're slow the AI gets a bigger share.
The "addiction factor". I can't put it down. Sorry I can't be more specific, but if I could define what makes a game addictive I'd be a billionaire game designer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: