FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Details good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Details good! Reply with quote

Ok so I've been thinking lately.
I love lots of crunchy details in my games. While I can appreciate mindless twichfests. I like it better when I can do something cool like customize my ship. I love having lots of options. Even If I never use them its cool just being able to.

Right now my favorite game is Dwarf fortress. This game has almost no graphics, rendering everything in ASCII but manages to bring even the most powerfull computers to there knees, Dropping the framerate to the single digits. Even my fancy laptop with its duel core processor and 2 gigs of RAM can only run it on the basic settings. Why? Because everything in this game is individually tracked. Every character uses A* patfinding to find his way around, Every tile is updated for temperature every frame. Liquids flow in real time, Each Character has his own wants and needs, The game even keeps track of historical events in its randomly generated gameworld. The sheer level of detail in this one man production makes fable look like an unambitious color by numbers clone.

Other games I have liked include Dues Ex which despite its braindead AI, Plastic physics engine, and dated graphics. Why? Because The sheer depth of the game keeps my coming back. Each time I play I discover something new, Find a new way around each obstacle (so I can just flood the base with poison gas and avoid the fight altogether? Cool)

People ask me why I prefer raptor to demonstar? Raptor you can buy weapons and Try different loadouts to fit your style. Much preferable in my mind to picking red powerups over blue ones. I also love the Armored core series for the same reason. All the times I spent on my friend's PS3 adjusting the stabilizers and Targeting system on my mech.

This is also what I liked about Starscape, The ability to jump out, Customize my ship and maneuver around in the grid, Added a more strategic element to the game. I spent most of my time in subspace, Trying to outmaneuver the Archnid fleets. Adapting hit and run tactics against the mining vessels. Outsmarting a numerically superior foe.

However this is not the only reason I play games. I like Touhou because of the Cute characters, Blipy music, and fantastic story.
But even when I play a simple game I can't help but wish it were deeper.

What do you think?
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Details good! Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
duel core processor
They're fighting now?
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Details good! Reply with quote

Konedima wrote:
icarus wrote:
duel core processor
They're fighting now?

Yes they are so awesome they have a little arena on my motherboard. In the last battle it damaged my video card. I had to send the computer back in for maintenance. As soon as it got back my HDD died. And I sent it right back in the same box as before.
Two completely unrelated hardwhere failures in the same month.
True story.

I gotta hand it to Asus. There Customer service is really great.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I think the freedom to put your mark on something or to feel like you've forged your own path can feel very special. It's funny that Stalker doesn't really succeed that well at this, but just the fact they've obviously tried makes me love it.

Have you tried Escape Velocity Nova? It's really old know, but I love it.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
I agree, I think the freedom to put your mark on something or to feel like you've forged your own path can feel very special. It's funny that Stalker doesn't really succeed that well at this, but just the fact they've obviously tried makes me love it.

Have you tried Escape Velocity Nova? It's really old know, but I love it.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

Yes. I hated being ambushed by the Story and having no control over my destiny.

Stalker did this better because You at least know whats going on rather than all the sudden have 50 plot ninjas pop out of nowhere and force you at gunpoint to the next location.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: