FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
Profile
  Forum Statistics Register
 Log in to check your private messages
Log in to check your private messages
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
BluRay Vs HD-DVD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  High Def Disc format of choice?  
 
BluRay
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
HD-DVD
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
 
  Total Votes : 10  

 Author
Message
Agrajag



Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 342



PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon further further research:

Wikipedia wrote:
The initial version of Sony's Blu-ray Disc-authoring software shipped with support for only 1 video-codec: MPEG-2[citation needed]. Consequently, all launch titles were encoded in MPEG-2 video. A subsequent update allowed the content producers to author titles in any of the 3 supported codecs: MPEG-2, VC-1, or H.264


So... all players always had it, but the actual companies which make the discs didn't originally have support for non-MPEG2, which is where the confusion comes.

Also, I think it's weird that they support VC-1 (aka Windows Media Video 9 aka WMV3).
Back to top
View user's profile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 3734



PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other things happening (many of which bring HD-DVD back into the running)

HD-DVD now has triple layer discs which can hold 51Gig. So size comparisons with BD aren't much of an issue anymore. Interestingly, they weren't anyway, since BD made PCM sound a req, which takes up loads of space. So movies were all at the same compression level anyway on both formats.

New combined DVD/HD-DVD discs are available that are apparently v cheap to manufacture. This means you can buy a DVD that will play standard def in old players and HD in a high def player.

Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation have recently announced they are going HD-DVD only.

You can buy an HD-DVD player for 170 in the UK and it's also a great upscaling DVD player. This a miles cheaper than any BluRay player over here. In fact, I'm going to get one nearer to xmas.

On Bluray's side, I still think the fact that shop stocks are much higher (here anyway - what's it like in anyone else's country?), Blockbuster only stocks BD, and Disney are BR only is probably enough to win out.

HD-DVD is still in with a shout though. If only MS had built the HD-DVD player into the 360!
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
KingAl



Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Posts: 16



PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rooting for HD-DVD. Serenity being on it is reason enough Smile
Back to top
View user's profile
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 4121
Location: Sheffield, UK



PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingAl wrote:
I'm rooting for HD-DVD. Serenity being on it is reason enough Smile


Firefly + Serenity = joy Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Ripdog



Joined: 22 Apr 2005
Posts: 106
Location: Wanganui, New Zealand



PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been around here for a while, but I couldn't resist posting in this topic.

I'm rooting for HD-DVD simply because it has less DRM. Blu-ray is buried in the stuff, and... well... who likes DRM? Stuff that 20gb up your collective corporate asses Sony!

Hmm, the smilies are broken for me. =\

The file you requested ( /board/Razz ) does not exist on this server or you do not have access to it. Please look for the page you wanted at

The Moonpod Home Page.

you will be redirected there in 5 seconds...
Back to top
View user's profile
KingAl



Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Posts: 16



PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ****.
Back to top
View user's profile
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 4121
Location: Sheffield, UK



PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the winner is ... Blue Ray

I guess that means the success of the PS3 is assured as it will surely take a year or two before someone makes a standalone player cheaper than a PS3? How long until direct download takes over and renders all physical media pointless? Will BR still be around in 5 years?


I think if game developers and film makers can sort out HD streaming technology so we aren't waiting for broadband upgrades then it'll probably be within that time scale. Just need the price of a PS3/X360 set top tv box to hit $99. If we have to wait for higher speed broadband penetration then it could be a lot longer sadly.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 3734



PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to note: on a 40" tv in my living room, sat at normal distance, I can't tell the difference between upscaled standard DVD and high def DVD. I can if I get up and sit next to the screen.

Also, standard DVD players can be made region free, whereas bluray players appear to be a bit of a nightmare in that regard - hopefully someone will bring one out eventually.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 4121
Location: Sheffield, UK



PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beginning of the end?

Two million X360's have been sold in the UK so far, but this summer British Telecom will begin offering its "Vision" customers the option of using a X360 as their set top box. Vision is a service that allows people to watch free to air digital tv channels, record tv, browse the net and rent movies and prime tv shows. New and existing customers will be able to take advantage of the system.

Similar moves are under way in other parts of the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Kenneth



Joined: 22 Sep 2007
Posts: 3



PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: I chose HD-DVD Reply with quote

The fact that Sony always has enforced the region code system vigilantly is alarming to me. The region systems purpose is simply to control the marked and stifle healthy competition. The end result is unreasonably high prices and lower quality. Sony continue this tradition with Blu-ray. I say that a product should gain a loyal following through the qualities it represent. Not the restrictions it imposes. I vote HD-DVD!
Back to top
View user's profile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 3734



PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: I chose HD-DVD Reply with quote

Kenneth wrote:
I vote HD-DVD!

Sadly, too late now Toshiba has pulled out of HD-DVD, but I agree with the sentiments...
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
icarus
Troll
Troll


Joined: 01 Mar 2004

Location: Olympia Washington



PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of dissing against Blu-Ray seems to be straw man arguments and fanboyism.

Sony is no longer the evil DRM company.
My new Walkman has no copy protection of any kind and will alow me to drag and drop files right into the player from explorer.
Also You can play Japaneses games on the American PS3 and visa versa.

Another point everyone seems to miss is that HD-DVD also has the same AACS as BLU-Ray and that shiny DRM has never stopped anyone from sharing there own media with friends and only inconveniences pirates who quickly find a way around it.


I have alwasy been rooting for BLU-ray because it stores more data. 50gb on a duel layer disk. 4 would be enough to back up all the data I have ever owned in my life.

Now that HD-DVD has gone the way of betamax and DIVIX we can finally watch our movies in peace. I expect all the "HD-DVD" exclusives will soon be released on BLU-RAY (remember all the movies that were ONLY going to be released on DIVIX?)

TL;DR
Stop mindlessly bashing SONY you mindless fanboys.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi


Joined: 25 Apr 2003
Posts: 1143
Location: Glasgow, Scotland



PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
shiny DRM has never stopped anyone from sharing there own media with friends and only inconveniences pirates who quickly find a way around it.

I'm assuming you're joking, right? It's quite hard to tell.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
icarus
Troll
Troll


Joined: 01 Mar 2004

Location: Olympia Washington



PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
icarus wrote:
shiny DRM has never stopped anyone from sharing there own media with friends and only inconveniences pirates who quickly find a way around it.

I'm assuming you're joking, right? It's quite hard to tell.


I am always serious. Sometimes I am Ironic or sarcastic but I never say anything I do not truly mean.

DRM does not stop you from making home videos and sharing them with friends as the media you have created is not copy protected.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi


Joined: 25 Apr 2003
Posts: 1143
Location: Glasgow, Scotland



PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you're talking about media you have generated. Well yes, of course DRM isn't going to stop you making copies of your own stuff, because you're not going to apply DRM to it. But seriously, you are never inconvenienced by DRM, and you don't think you ever will be? Just the other day I couldn't play a DVD on my Linux-based computer because of the content encryption. (Ubuntu can play non-encrypted DVDs, but it can't legally be distributed with the software to play encrypted ones. As to why I'm running Linux, well, Windows XP died and I can't find my install disc anymore. Sad ) I've bought a DRM-laden e-book which can only be viewed in its own special viewer, which has a terrible UI and won't even let you copy and paste a single line of text. (Oh no! The pirates might copy and paste the entire document, one word at a time! Somebody stop them!) That was very inconvenient. I've bought a DRM-restricted song and been unable to listen to it in my music-player of choice. I don't support piracy, I don't copy songs, movies or software, but I still hate DRM.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group