FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
Profile
  Forum Statistics Register
 Log in to check your private messages
Log in to check your private messages
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
First Pic of Optimus!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Film Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Message
Magnulus



Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 556
Location: Bergen, Norway



PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ragnarok



Joined: 05 Jun 2003
Posts: 34
Location: Madison Heights, MI



PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will only respect this movie if weird al has a song playing when they're talking to the junk robots from junkotron 8. or whatever that was about
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Deraldin



Joined: 01 May 2003
Posts: 48



PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragnarok wrote:
I will only respect this movie if weird al has a song playing when they're talking to the junk robots from junkotron 8. or whatever that was about


That would be "Dare to be Stupid" which was played during the short party sequence on the "Planet of Junk" after the arrival of Hot Rod, Kup, Wheelie and the dinobots who had recently escaped from Quintessa.

Fun song. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 1068
Location: Sydney, Land of Censorship



PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
a film I'd rather have lived through the reality of than watched.
whether you would have lived through it depends on what side you were on

Spoiler (highlight to read):
i suck at history
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Tryagain Infinity



Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 168
Location: You see that tank behind you...



PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no devoted fan of his movies, but I think you guys are looking at Michael Bay upside down.

Bay is a director and producer not a writer. As far as Pearl Habor goes, to me, it had a bad story. The action itself was good. It was the kinda movie that makes you want to stand up in the middle of a theater and shout "YAH! GO GET'EM BOYS!"

The Island naturally did better because it was a story based around a political subject that everyone has an interest in. The Island was way better than The 6th Day merely because The Island has a story that tries to make you think about the subject (cloning in this case) and at least provide some answers to why it shouldn't be done, unlike The 6th Day.

If Transformers The Movie falls flat I'm going to blame the writers. Yeah, Bay hired them as producer (Steven Speilberg is executive producer), but that will be his only falt.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418279/fullcredits

So on July 4th of this year, go to the movie theater, grab something to stuff your face, sit down, strap in, try and enjoy the movie for what it is, AND SHUT UP!

If still don't want to go then stay home and leave the rest of us in peace. You won't be missed.
Back to top
View user's profile Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 3734



PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tryagain Infinity wrote:
I'm no devoted fan of his movies, but I think you guys are looking at Michael Bay upside down.

Only in my dreams where he is hung upside down off a meat hook after being beaten to death with a frying pan.

Tryagain Infinity wrote:
It was the kinda movie that makes you want to stand up in the middle of a theater and shout "YAH! GO GET'EM BOYS!"

How true, I was cheering for those brave Japanese pilots all the way. If only they had been more accurate, the film would have been over sooner, but those bullets just seemed to slide off Ben Affleck. (On a side note, has he been any good in anything? I mean, he's obviously rubbish, but he's not unlikeable.

Tryagain Infinity wrote:
The Island naturally did better

did better in what? Reviews ?
then again, if you are saying, "did better than Pearl Harbor, then you have a point, but it's not saying much is it?

Tryagain Infinity wrote:
unlike The 6th Day.

That's a bit like saying dog turds are better than fox turds though.

Tryagain Infinity wrote:
If Transformers The Movie falls flat I'm going to blame the writers.

Interesting idea, but it's up to Bay to put it together. I only blame him because he obviously terrible and the sooner people stop hiring him the more chance we'll have of seeing some good films turn up.

Tryagain Infinity wrote:
try and enjoy the movie for what it is

I envy you, I really do. I used to think exactly the same way, but in the end, I realised it's like blaming yourself - you didn't enjoy the film because you didn't put enough effort into enjoying it.

Really, it's my own fault for watching too many films and realising there's good stuff out there and we shouldn't have to push ourselves to squeeze any enjoyment out of the naff blockbusters getting pumped out of Hollywood land. I'm going to go, because I love transformers and grew up with them. I'll probably have a few beers whilst I'm there though just so my mind is numbed to whatever stupid ideas Bay injects into the film.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Tryagain Infinity



Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 168
Location: You see that tank behind you...



PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rather surprised at you Fost. Being an artist I would think you would have the decency to go see the movie first before judging it. You have the right to be a critique. You don't have the right to judge something before its finished unless there is some key fault that is without a doubt wrong. All you have right now of the movie is a bunch of snipets.

I mean come on, how would you like it if someone called your work awful before you were finished?
Back to top
View user's profile Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
icarus
Troll
Troll


Joined: 01 Mar 2004

Location: Olympia Washington



PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tryagain Infinity wrote:
The Island naturally did better because it was a story based around a political subject that everyone has an interest in. The Island was way better than The 6th Day merely because The Island has a story that tries to make you think about the subject (cloning in this case) and at least provide some answers to why it shouldn't be done, unlike The 6th Day.


I liked the 6th day much better. One of my favorite movies.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Tryagain Infinity



Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 168
Location: You see that tank behind you...



PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I liked the 6th day much better. One of my favorite movies.


Why exactly?
Back to top
View user's profile Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
icarus
Troll
Troll


Joined: 01 Mar 2004

Location: Olympia Washington



PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberpunk movies are few and far between. Good ones are even rare-er (*cough*matrix*cough*Johnny Memonic*cough*)

The only good ones i can think of right now are 6th day, robocop, and GITS.

"How do you want your banna? regular or nacho cheese?"
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Tryagain Infinity



Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 168
Location: You see that tank behind you...



PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did like the 6th day as an action movie, but Spoiler (highlight to read):
when Arnoald's character was flat out asked why the "evil" characters should not be doing this whole cloning thing Arnie just responds by saying why don't you just **** yourselves. Sorry Arnie, but that's not a reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
icarus
Troll
Troll


Joined: 01 Mar 2004

Location: Olympia Washington



PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one of the things about cyberpunk is it should never make conclusions for you. Whether the future is a paradise or nightmare is up to you. Are clones people? do they have rights? should we be creating them? Is it really any deferent from having children?

The reason the cloners were evil was because they were willing to kill the protagonist and his family. Technology is never evil. Its just that evil people use it to do bad things.

Thats what I got out of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Tryagain Infinity



Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 168
Location: You see that tank behind you...



PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well one of the things about cyberpunk is it should never make conclusions for you.


It's better to explore such conclusions in a fictional reality before messing with the real one. Fewer dead people that way. Since the possibility exists that it's an incorrect conclusion the only thing that you need to do is try to find fault with the story and its character's decisions.

There is a right time, to do the right thing, in the right place, for the right reason. So, do you know what the right thing is?
Back to top
View user's profile Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 3734



PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tryagain Infinity wrote:
I'm rather surprised at you Fost. Being an artist I would think you would have the decency to go see the movie first before judging it.

I'm not judging the movie, I'm judging Michael Bay's previous efforts and the decision to put him in charge of a project dear to my heart. A big part of being an artist (of any kind) is a loathing of mediocrity (especially in one's own efforts). Michael Bay seems to wallow in mediocrity like a scat fetishist in a paddling pool of his own diarrhoea.

I hear you when you say I should just enjoy it for what it is, but aren't you really saying you want more films to satisfy your love of scifi/fantasy etc, and really, this is all there is, so lets put up with it.

You'd be right to call me a fool but I think perhaps we should always hope for something greater. Greater especially then anything Bay has ever managed. I'd be happy to eat my words.


Last edited by Fost on Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Tryagain Infinity



Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Posts: 168
Location: You see that tank behind you...



PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more. If Bay does out right trash this movie and the Transfans decide to burn him at the stake, I'll bring the napalm. Twisted Evil

But on a more serious note, I try to remain hopeful about the future of one of my favorite past times in that it may become more than it ever was before. When you feel that strongly about something it begins to take on a measure of invulnerability. Count your blessings Fost, at least if you do haft to eat your words you'll find them easier to chew then I would.
Back to top
View user's profile Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Film Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group