FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
CD's, unlocking, grammar and stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting indeed. How come that you write about that now?

I mean feels just the same here too. ;]
Magnulus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come who writes about what? Me with the Windows? Because it was discussed in this thread earlier (or rather, this split of the original thread) and I didn't want to create a whole new thread about it just to say that thing about the OEM.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returning to discussion of the Vista license: http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/archives/2006/10/19/forbidding_vistas_windows_licensing_disserves_the_user.html
ewerybody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unbelievable!
It gets worse and worse..

Why don't we use linux already?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason Linux hasn't taken off is it's just too hard to use and there are too many different versions and not enough help and a lot of devices don't work reliably with it and there isn't enough compatible software and everyone involved tends to pull in different directions and historically its main focus has been servers not the desktop and ....

Nothing is free either, I suspect a lot of Linux problems are due to the fact companies make money providing support and therefore there is no great urgency to make the thing easy to use or create a unified standard install. It's just a suspicion.

but yes, it's a shame. When I get some spare cash I'm going to put a Linux based media PC together and hopefully start to unravel the Linux desktop enigma.

On the other hand I didn't see anything in that list that would actually affect my day to day use of the software. I know you might be thinking "but what if I install enough hardware to need re-validation more than once - surely it will just switch off and I've wasted my money?". I can assure you that wont be the case, maybe if we are really unlucky we'll have to ring up a number, but they won't just turn it off. I just hope it has a one-click "classic windows look" button so I get rid of all the silly bells and whistles they've added.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, by the way... The mac arrived.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPrHe-Po2KY
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnulus wrote:
The mac arrived.

Ahh, nothing beats the arrival of a new toy!
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still confused as to why eveything is sooo much better. Using photoshop for instance - that just sounds mad. Surely Photoshop is Photoshop, whether on Mac or Win?

I think I need to go and sit in the Mac shop in MeadowHell (Sheffield's big shopping mall) for a few hours and play around a bit.
ewerybody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the yin & yang everything has its benefits and disadvantages. So after all a mac is as snafu as everything else. :] oohhmmmmmm!

so whats the benefits on a mac:
* It looks a little more stylish (for as long as you care)
* You love it. (You have to! Because you paid a load of money for it!)
Magnulus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Everything's in one package.
* The OS is teh roxxor.
* The screen really is of very good quality
* I don't have to look around as much for software (like DVD playback and DVD burning, etc.)
* It looks good.

Cons:
* They are fairly expensive, but not overly, if you ask me. A high-quality 20" screen and this OS with all the bundled shiznat that comes with it both go a long way to making the price justifiable.
* Even though it plays WoW superbly, it's just not a system meant for games. the ATI X1600 is actually a step down for me in GFX cards.

Photoshop was so lovely because, as a photographer, I have a certain workflow that involves 40-odd pictures open at the same time, 30 of which need to be weeded out, so to speak, to leave me with the ones I want. What makes the mac so good for Photoshop is the F10 button, as I explained. I can view them all at once, next to eachother, instantaneously, just as if they were sprawled across a table, my definite mode of work. Probably not as useful for when I draw things, but very useful for the photography.
I thought Photoshop would be Photoshop, too. It just wasn't. The GUI works differently, as well. I suppose it's because Photoshop was, originally, designed for the mac, and they made compromises in order to make it suitable for Windows use.

Feel free to ask me more questions about it, and I'll try answering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: