FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
6-6-06
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  The antichrist?  

Oh noes!
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Mwahahahaha!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
How un-scintific.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Bow before the dark loard of soap!
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]

Total Votes : 7  

Author
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: 6-6-06 Reply with quote

It seems i cant go 10 years without the world ending AGAIN. I mean just 6 years ago all the computers started launching nuclear missiles at each other. First that and now the antichrist was born today.

Now selling: magic circles, pure silver crosses, 2liter bottles of holy watter, and bible page wallpaper.
InaneAndMatu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the anti-christ may have been born today, but we won't know until the world is perfect 20 years from now, right before being devoured by the beast.
Anticheese

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, 666: The number of the beast.

Not to be confused with 668: The neighbour of the beast.

Anyhow, The 06/06/06 happens every century and since the inception of the AD calender its happened 21 times - And nothing happened.

Also, Why should the year 2000 have caused problems? Its only a thousand years and the earth is waay older than that.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticheese wrote:
Ah yes, 666: The number of the beast.

Not to be confused with 668: The neighbour of the beast.

Anyhow, The 06/06/06 happens every century and since the inception of the AD calender its happened 21 times - And nothing happened.

Also, Why should the year 2000 have caused problems? Its only a thousand years and the earth is waay older than that.

But this one is different because all the profacys are coming true. terrorism, the tsunamis, hurricanes, war in the mid east, the nation of israeli. all are spoused to happen before the end of days

This is what the bible bashers actually believe.

And the Y2K bug was supposed to cause the missile defence computers to go crazy and try to nuke russia thus starting WWIII.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost's theory of inevitable doom:

If we assume that 1% of the world actually really undertands what goes on, and the other 99% just get by (I'd use the word sheep, but it's kind of derogatory, when in fact, it's just people who want to get by in life with as little hassle as possible.) Don't worry, the fact that you are visiting this forum means you are probably in the 1% Wink

So, from the 1%, lets say half are bad and half are good people (a crazy generalisation, but hey, it's my theory). Now, the bad people, will probably rise to position of power (another interesting statistic that I just made up for this theory is that 99.9% of politicians are members of the 'bad' category; the other 0.1% entered politics by mistake.) From there, they will use their power and influence to distort the truth and manipulate the 99% of people who 'just get by', which makes them part of the bad people problem (not through any fault of their own). The good people will never dream of doing that, and just try to do their best to make the world a better place.

So, at any one time, 99.5% of the population are one the side of bad, and 0.5% on the side of good.

Icecream anyone?
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I propose that the good people create a secret sociaty called the Shepards to heard the "sheep" and protect them from the wolves.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the thing here is that according to Fost's Theorem (Just you wait. Three hours from now someone will have made a wikipedia page for that.) the sheep are ALREADY being herded... BY THE WOLVES! The sheep are thereby wolves by proxy (if I've understood the word proxy correctly.) so in trying to herd the sheelves (sheep-wolves) the last good people will be devoured and there will be no more good people left in the world.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
I propose that the good people create a secret sociaty called the Shepards to heard the "sheep" and protect them from the wolves.

I thought about that too, but the only way you can 'herd' people is by deception, and so you'd have to embrace the wolf way of thinking. Kind of like Ozymandias' ploy in Watchmen*. That's a comic though, and I doubt anyone can embrace evil to that extent whilst keeping an idealistic goal in sight.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
In Watchmen, one of the Superheroes realises that the only way to bring peace to to give man something else to fight. So he ammases a fortune, and hires loads of people to pull off the biggest scam ever - he creates giant genetically grown monsters which are dead and then plonks them round the world, whilst killing loads of civilians to give the impression it was aliens. He also kills everyone else involved in the scam. The world unites in preparation for another attack.

Sadly, I think what would really happen, is that the world would squabble over resources to protect themselves. If aliens were even real, there'd also be no shortage of collaborators if they wanted them../
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No we would use socal engnering which is sort of deception but not as bad.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
That reminds me of an idea for a 1984ish story. In the future everyone is happy and everything is perfect except for one thing, the world is divided into 2 factions that have been fighting a deadlock for as long as anyone can rember. The 2 citizens of the 2 factions do not know how the war started, all they know is that the other side is pure EVIL and must be stoped at all costs, but inside the citys everything is perfect because everyone is working towards a common goal. however every mouth the leaders of the 2 citys get together to play golf and discuss strategy. They are collaborating to continue the war in order to control the populace.

It would also have a soylent greenish ending where the protagonist decides its better for the people to remain deceived.
Anticheese

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of a short story called "Worrywort"

Basicly a paraplegic who has a great imagination and compassion for humanity (And sci-fi books) developes imaginary friends that are not so imaginary - He is the perfect newspaper article!

But..When the reporter gives him a comic book which involves the superhero going back in time and outlawing electricity to prevent a war..
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished the illuminati ending in Deus Ex and i was reminded of the Shepard idea.
jollyreaper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the Watchmen concept is that people have short memories and get bored easily. As more and more time goes by without the dread alien attack, the more likely that politics will reassert itself and the global alliance will fall apart into bickering nations once more. I did have a Star Treky story idea like this when I was a kid, though. They encounter a planet that's near 20th/21st century Earth development. A global cold war between two superpowers is turned into an alliance against a deadly alien threat. The only thing, the threat is a scam! I got the idea after reading Reagan's speech where he says that he wishes there were a great alien threat to cause everyone to put aside differences and unite against it. The old ******* was crazy enough, I wouldn't be surprised if he had people working on that very plan! But the point at which it would fall apart, that's where the Federation comes into it. It's 40 years after the Crisis and there are powerful factions planetside that question the existence of the aliens and want to assume more power for themselves. And since the threat was alien invasion, the planet has been arming to the teeth for all that time. If the deception is ever discovered, it could tear the planet apart. So the Feds end up forced to take the role of aliens in order to save the planet. They have to provide a credible threat every few years like lobbing asteroids that can be destroyed with the space lasers already in place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: