FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Obligatory mod/level editor thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Obligatory mod/level editor thread Reply with quote

I know from the starscape and battlescape threads how you feel about modding "If we make it moddable/build an editor then we will do it properly, to do that takes time and only appeals to a relatively small audience so its not a priority” Is it the same situation for Mr. Robot? You hinted that starscape didn’t lend itself to mods but you were writing battlescape to be more extendable, is this same for Mr Robot?
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thay alreaddy mentoned a level editor
http://www.moonpod.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1189
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there's an editor. The question is whether there will be an editor suitable for public release.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on release for sure, because the editor is not in the least user friendly. It would be nice to tart it up a little though and release it. It will depend however, on whether certain room ideas are hard coded or not.

Technically it's feasible to make an editor for this type of game where the user can't make mistakes - essentially every game object interacts with every other game object with the correct result. That would be the ideal situation. If however, we start hard coding specific things for specific rooms, then you obviously won't be able to edit the game. It's again, to early to see how that will go. Fun is our over-riding factor here - if we decide we need to implement things that cant be programmed in a generic re-usable way (in the same time as just hard-coding it) then it won't happen.

Anyway, the above (rather depressing take on things) is just so no one gets their hopes up. I'd say there's at least a chance of this happening, where there wasn't one with Starscape, and the game certainly lends itself to having a level editor. As you already mentioned - there is an editor in existence which we will use to create most of the game; whereas with Starscape there wasn't. It's the 10% of the game that might not be set up in the editor that will be the problem.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not a critical 10%, could you just disable the associated features in the level editor? I know Starcraft's level editor doesn't provide access to a bunch of features used in the game's campaign missions. (If anyone's familiar with the campaign, I'm pretty sure you can't replicate the scripted nuclear strikes of the "Reign of Fire" level without hacking the editor.) Just to confuse the user, I think even some of their example look what you can do with the editor levels use special units and triggers that you can't put in your own maps.

EDIT - The name of the level I was thinking of was in fact "Emperor's Fall (Ground Zero)".

Last edited by Weeble on Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not so shure the starcraft level editor is verry powerful
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icarus, please use some punctuation. Do you mean:
  • "I'm not so sure; the Starcraft level editor is very powerful." or
  • "I'm not so sure that the Starcraft level editor is very powerful."?

I think only the former makes sense in the context, so I'll assume that's what you mean. In the case of the scripted nuclear strikes, you can neither a) create the "nuke" special object, nor b) activate the "please nuke here" AI script. You need to hack the editor or the map files to achieve either of these effects. If you really want to dispute this (relatively unimportant) point we can take it over to the General forum.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that an editor could be made available that can't edit some of the features in the main game, but you are back in the territory that we aren't happy with. If the editor is hooking into hard-coded bits of the game, it's going to be messy and also have little value to someone who enjoyed the main game and bought it.

We are certainly striving for this to be open to editing, because that will actually help us play with ideas, and we believe an editor would actually be a good selling point, so is worth spending some time on making it 'public safe'. Only if we think it's usable though.
Toren Kanesun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be "public-usable" even if only 1 out of 100 could use it outside of MoonPod HQ. Smile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the editor is shaping up to be pretty usable - there's some stuff that we'll need to polish if it got released, but I think it is fairly intuitive - especially if we are on hand to write tutorials etc.

the big issue for Mr. Robot editing right now is more game related. Some things will definitely by hard coded in, so there will sadly be some limitations on what the editor can do (i.e. things you'll see done in the game, that you won't be able to recreate yourself). We are trying to keep as much editable as we can, but it's difficult. Ideally, everything would be scripted and the scrpits linked up in thed editor, but that's not the case sadly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: