FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
Profile
  Forum Statistics Register
 Log in to check your private messages
Log in to check your private messages
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
List of weird things on SS
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Message
nukey



Joined: 08 Jun 2004
Posts: 10



PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: List of weird things on SS Reply with quote

Here a list of all the weird things ive found while playing Starscape( all that i remember right now)

-- The escape pod moves backwards but has no engine effects

-- When you blow off all the turrets on a lvl 2 minelayer the 4 corners will either explode or it will open up. Its kind of random

--If you fire ions at one of the lvl 4 boss guns it will bounce off in the direction the gun is pointing. no matter which angle u fiire from

-- The lvl 2 minelayer seems to have a weak spot in its armour, when i use beams and fire at the top or bottom at an angle. it will die

--Super Drones- I dont no if anyone has seen these but basicalls ther drones that fire abnormally large shots, have really bright exahust trails and are launched from a larger ship, and are a tad bit larger than the normal drones. Ex-drones launched by bosses or cap ships. The zone 2-3 drones are the ones that i see most often do this but i have seen the lvl 1 drones do this once when fighting boss 1. Ive also seen the red drones do this. I have some pics but i dont no how to stick them on here.

-- If you take a ship and fit it with only lvl 4 engines and generators. then ram it continusly into a xenarch station until you die. Your ship will start exploding continusly until both you and the station have died.

--this could be normal, but i noticed that you have to destroy both the top and bottom of a jammer before you can hit the middle(learned this the hard way, resulting in the death of the aegis)

-- Lvl 3 grav beems vs lvl 1 and 2 grav beams. I noticed that even though grav beam 3 is supposed to protect gems. lvl 2 or 1 will also do that. If you catch a gem in grav beam 1 or 2 then fire on it it wont die. With the strange exception of when you use multiple beam or blaster charge ups the gem will shatter regardless of which grav beam you use.

--is it just me or do interdictors always seem to linger on the edge of the map?

--when the aegis warps out during a boss fight, you can fly on top of the aegis before it comepletly warps out. then when the aegis dissapears, your ship will get a slight bump.This works for mining barges too(not in boss fight).

--were the screen grabs on this site taken during testing stages? i can find something wrong with about 3/4 of all the pics.

--sometimes a pop up will occur when im playing SS. After i get back to playing SS. The grahics look all weird. firing effects and explosions look like either gravitrons, the aegis, or some other ship. (i have pics of this too)

Thats all i can think of right now. If you've found something weird, feel free to add it to the list.
Back to top
View user's profile
Canthlian



Joined: 26 May 2004
Posts: 5
Location: Queensland, Australia



PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: List of weird things on SS Reply with quote

nukey wrote:
--sometimes a pop up will occur when im playing SS. After i get back to playing SS. The grahics look all weird. firing effects and explosions look like either gravitrons, the aegis, or some other ship. (i have pics of this too)


I've noticed this too. As far as I can tell, it's not a problem with DirectX, as it does it under OpenGL too. I'm thinking maybe the graphic memory gets screwed up, but what do I know?
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 11 Oct 2002
Posts: 449
Location: Moonpod Central



PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: List of weird things on SS Reply with quote

nukey wrote:
-- The escape pod moves backwards but has no engine effects


It uses a more efficient ion engine for reverse instead of a less efficient (but more powerful) jet. You don't see the ionised particles.

nukey wrote:
-- When you blow off all the turrets on a lvl 2 minelayer the 4 corners will either explode or it will open up. Its kind of random


It all depends on how much damage you've managed to inflict on the central part of the hull (IIRC)

nukey wrote:
--If you fire ions at one of the lvl 4 boss guns it will bounce off in the direction the gun is pointing. no matter which angle u fiire from


Weird collision response thing I guess.

nukey wrote:
--Super Drones- I dont no if anyone has seen these but basicalls ther drones that fire abnormally large shots, have really bright exahust trails and are launched from a larger ship, and are a tad bit larger than the normal drones. Ex-drones launched by bosses or cap ships. The zone 2-3 drones are the ones that i see most often do this but i have seen the lvl 1 drones do this once when fighting boss 1. Ive also seen the red drones do this. I have some pics but i dont no how to stick them on here.


I have no idea what you're talking about here. Are you saying there's a problem?

nukey wrote:
-- If you take a ship and fit it with only lvl 4 engines and generators. then ram it continusly into a xenarch station until you die. Your ship will start exploding continusly until both you and the station have died.


We'll look into this, although what were you thinking headbutting the Xenarch like that? Wink

nukey wrote:
--this could be normal, but i noticed that you have to destroy both the top and bottom of a jammer before you can hit the middle(learned this the hard way, resulting in the death of the aegis)


This is correct, I can't remember if any of the characters mention it though.

nukey wrote:
--is it just me or do interdictors always seem to linger on the edge of the map?


Why is this a problem? I don't think they have any specific behaviour written to lurk on the outskirts, but there might be some emergent behaviour as a result of the way things work internally.

nukey wrote:
--when the aegis warps out during a boss fight, you can fly on top of the aegis before it comepletly warps out. then when the aegis dissapears, your ship will get a slight bump.This works for mining barges too(not in boss fight).


The bump is a small shockwave as a result of the wormhole closing.

nukey wrote:
--were the screen grabs on this site taken during testing stages? i can find something wrong with about 3/4 of all the pics.


Yes, I think they were. Although some may have just become out of date due to the many updates Starscape has had. They are due for review anyway (although I am only aware of one error - green trails on the mines), but it's a matter of not enough hours in the day.

nukey wrote:
--sometimes a pop up will occur when im playing SS. After i get back to playing SS. The grahics look all weird. firing effects and explosions look like either gravitrons, the aegis, or some other ship. (i have pics of this too)


This is fixed in the new version (due out soon, I hope)
Back to top
View user's profile
icarus
Troll
Troll


Joined: 01 Mar 2004

Location: Olympia Washington



PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i poasted this hear http://www.moonpod.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=836&start=15

Quote:
i think zone 4 is haunted sometimes when its just me the aurgs and some astroids i will sea green exaust trails like the ones from some arknid ships but thaer is no ships thare a bunch of them apper all at once but then thay dissaper


ps. ionised particals are visable thay give of a blue glow i know beacuse nasa used ion engines before to chase comits and thare exaust trail glowed blue

think of anouther reason or make an escape pod reverse anamation
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Bobacles



Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Posts: 123



PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
--sometimes a pop up will occur when im playing SS.

Those popups are because of warez on your computer. I recommend you go check out the PC Health Issues thread: http://www.moonpod.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=906

Your computer will thank you later. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile
BluePhoenix



Joined: 08 Jun 2004
Posts: 96
Location: Between Georgia and Cuba



PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobacles wrote:
Quote:
--sometimes a pop up will occur when im playing SS.

Those popups are because of warez on your computer. I recommend you go check out the PC Health Issues thread: http://www.moonpod.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=906

Your computer will thank you later. Wink


I have the say problem, only it's with Norton and its stupid auto scan thing (it shows up, scan, then when it's done, takes control of the computer throwing itself infront of whatever I have on screen. Grr.
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 11 Oct 2002
Posts: 449
Location: Moonpod Central



PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
think of anouther reason or make an escape pod reverse anamation


No. These are magical, invisible ionised particles. So there.
Back to top
View user's profile
nukey



Joined: 08 Jun 2004
Posts: 10



PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhh, how do put a quote on the board? and how do i stick some pics here?
Back to top
View user's profile
icarus
Troll
Troll


Joined: 01 Mar 2004

Location: Olympia Washington



PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you still havent ansered my main question



ps. to qoute someone else just click on the quote bouton on top of thare poasts

to poast a pic you have to

1. find a pic if you have on on your coumputer you cant use it it has to be on a website allready

2. now that you have founed a pic right click on it and click on propratys

3. thare you should sea a url this is to one for the moonpod logo at the top of the screen http://www.moonpod.com/board/templates/moonpod/images/header_l.jpg

4. highlight and coppy that url

5. sart a poast and click on the botton that says img

6. this shoud apper [ img ]

7. paste your url after the img tag like so [ img ] http://www.moonpod.com/board/templates/moonpod/images/header_l.jpg
this tells the coumputter to go to that url and get that pic

8. press the img boutton aggen and [ / img ] should apper this tells the counputter that this is the end of the url

10. submeit the poast and like magic your pic will apper



if this doesint work than you dident folow the derections

try using the outher bouttons at the top of the screen to coustomise your poast

and do this and this Spoiler (highlight to read):
and this
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Dove
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi


Joined: 13 Dec 2003
Posts: 89



PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: List of weird things on SS Reply with quote

nukey wrote:

-- When you blow off all the turrets on a lvl 2 minelayer the 4 corners will either explode or it will open up. Its kind of random


I've noticed this too. When you do an excessive amount of damage to the turrets, it seems you don't have to hit the middle.


Quote:

--Super Drones- I dont no if anyone has seen these but basicalls ther drones that fire abnormally large shots, have really bright exahust trails and are launched from a larger ship, and are a tad bit larger than the normal drones.


I've seen these too. I scratched my head about them for quite a while, but I don't think they're a bug. You know what I think they are? Several drones on top of each other, with a two or three pixel offset. Drones can stack, and I think their behavior is deterministic--i.e., if they're in the same place, they'll all follow each other and do the same thing. I think these are just several drones all really close to each other, flying in formation. Notice the extra *oomph* to the explosions when you destroy these guys, the fact that they only seem to occur when there is a *lot* of the same type of drone in the air, and especially the fact that drones that should fire only three shots sometimes appear to fire fire or six in super-form instead of three big shots. They seem to happen a lot for me around gravitrons--perhaps two or three times per game. I think the way I line up firing and the way they get launched just happens to be right to make them overlap each other.


My own weirdness report:

-- Sometimes the Aegis refuses to let you dock. Typically it happens when there are a lot of shots in the air, or gems around. You hit the dock button and its doors stay closed, and it flies --away-- from you (or else just bounces around). Likewise, if the doors are open during a large firefight, the tractor beam doesn't work. You can sit there in the green dots all day and won't dock. Bizarrely, sometimes a scoop equipped Aegis will go running off toward some asteroids or gems when I ask to dock. I know I've had yelling matches with JJ a time or two before... "The Aegis is low on health, we need to get out of here!" "Well let me in then!" "No, I'm busy fighting right now!" "OPEN THE POD BAY DOORS, JJ!" "I'm sorry, Dove, I can't do that..." Wink

I'm not sure what causes this. I think it might be when a "move" command gets interrupted by battle or something, or else that the Aegis' engines take priority over its cargo bay doors. Very weird. It has actually been the death of me a time or two.
Back to top
View user's profile
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 4121
Location: Sheffield, UK



PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: List of weird things on SS Reply with quote

Dove wrote:
-- Sometimes the Aegis refuses to let you dock. Typically it happens when there are a lot of shots in the air, or gems around. You hit the dock button and its doors stay closed, and it flies --away-- from you (or else just bounces around). Likewise, if the doors are open during a large firefight, the tractor beam doesn't work. You can sit there in the green dots all day and won't dock. Bizarrely, sometimes a scoop equipped Aegis will go running off toward some asteroids or gems when I ask to dock. I know I've had yelling matches with JJ a time or two before... "The Aegis is low on health, we need to get out of here!" "Well let me in then!" "No, I'm busy fighting right now!" "OPEN THE POD BAY DOORS, JJ!" "I'm sorry, Dove, I can't do that..." Wink

I'm not sure what causes this. I think it might be when a "move" command gets interrupted by battle or something, or else that the Aegis' engines take priority over its cargo bay doors. Very weird. It has actually been the death of me a time or two.


This should be fixed in v1.5 which is almost ready.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
starscape junkie



Joined: 15 Jun 2003
Posts: 177
Location: The Thirteenth Colony



PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about when the shade effect makes it looks like you lost a wing off the devastator(i have a nice pic of that), when a worm runs right through you when youre docking, and how when your undocking you can go right on top of an asteroid.

Mainly visual things that have no real gameplay repercussions.(unless youre stupid enough to launch a ship with 1% health into a very close asteroid field)

Edit: The resource bars also draw over the mouse in the r & d things, im not sure if this was intentional or not
Back to top
View user's profile
starscape junkie



Joined: 15 Jun 2003
Posts: 177
Location: The Thirteenth Colony



PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: More stuff Reply with quote

Heres an annoying one for me personally, the game turns off numlock, which i leave on for stuff. Also, my full v isnt remebering that i like my game in a window, but the demo i have elsewhere does, which is quite annoying, and i cant remember how to fix it. Also, when you have a devestator loaded with blaster 4's, the fully charged animation only appears on one side of the ship, which looks a little akward, since it the charge anim is on the full ship.
Back to top
View user's profile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 3734



PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: More stuff Reply with quote

starscape junkie wrote:
...the game turns off numlock, which i leave on for stuff.

Odd, doesn't do that here. I always have numlock on, and I've never noticed that happen in any version. Are you sure this is caused byu Starscape? If you have any interesting keyboard config/setup/input language/utility software running, let us know and we'll test it.
starscape junkie wrote:
my full v isnt remebering that i like my game in a window

Yeah, we updated the rendering code in later version, and it had this glitch in various drivers/opengl/d3d setting combinations. If you go into the config file and set r_forcefullscreen = true it will force it on. Sorry about that, it only happens with certain card/driver combinations, and should be fixed in version 1.5
starscape junkie wrote:
when you have a devestator loaded with blaster 4's, the fully charged animation only appears on one side of the ship.

Noticed this the other day, it may actually be correct and is related to power output on the ship. I think if you put in a level 4 generator and lots of well rated batteries then you get all blasters charging. Not sure about this, so we'll double check it.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
starscape junkie



Joined: 15 Jun 2003
Posts: 177
Location: The Thirteenth Colony



PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a real error this time Smile

Ok, when the mining barge has a resource in its beam, the mineral is completely invulnerable, you cant shoot it or crash into it. This isnt the error, thats the way the game works.

However, if the barge jumps out of the system while it has the mineral chunk in the gravity beam, the invuln state reamins, and you have a mineral that you can fly over, shoot through. Im not sure whether you can pick it up with your own beam though, because it was on my "no mineral challenge", and i hadnt saved in about an hour...


I'll try messing around with some things to see if i can pinpoint whats causing the numlock thing.
Back to top
View user's profile
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group