FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Alternate fire for Ion Cannons?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Alternate fire for Ion Cannons? Reply with quote

I really dig how the blasters have an alternate "spread" attack option by holding down the button.

I was really dissappointed that the Ion Cannons do not have an alternate fire mode. Alternate fire modes are COOL. Very Happy

How about adding in another fire mode for the Ion Cannon where you charge it up and it fires a concentrated beam much like the starbases main cannon? Or a complete 360 degree burst effect. Something... anything! Alternate fire modes for missiles would be neat also. Laughing

Joseph Twu
Lamebrain/bort
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you, but I have to be careful to keep the ballance right, Ion Cannons are your first taste of real POWER, but I want you to be desperate for nova bombs and lasers. Ion cannons are already really powerful, they do heavy damage, power them up and they spread really wide and they even bounce off targets potentially doubling or tripling damage. I love hammering a capital ship AND taking out smaller enemies behind me with the reflected shots Very Happy .

Lasers and nova bombs: These two advanced weapons when used together are AWESOME, the lasers also have a charge up effect which is very nice. In zone 5 you can often get entire screen fulls of attackers, but just get the lasers levelled up and the charge blast can clear the entire screen with one shot!

As for missiles, my tip is to get a couple of drones on your ship, when levelled up they can fire homing missiles. The trick here is drones don't need ammo - free missiles permanently! This can come in very useful while waiting for the main guns to charge.

<damn, i've given too much away again, i'll have to delete my post Smile >
Tegid

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked Ion Cannons. They don't feel like they do as much damage as upgraded blasters. Besides, blasters are only for when you absolutely, positively have to hit a target straight ahead of you. I barely use them. Why should I when I can sit back out of range and lob volleys of 4 plasma torpedoes at the enemies and annihilate them before I see them?

Add a "few" missle bays and I can take out three or four fleets worth of ships, and make short work of enemy mother ships with ease. And since I'm not draining energy, my shields are nearly impervious.

<spoiler>

Of course I've learned to LOATHE the zone 5 mothership which deactivates my shields, but otherwise I'm fine.
<spoiler>

My question is, what is the deal with level two batteries? They are worse than useless. They take double the space, and double the mass, but have only 50% more charge. If they took the same space, with double the mass and the same charge, they would actually be useful. As it is, they are less desirable than two level one batteries.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<copied from another thread - it's the charge rate that seperates 1+2, might not be a big deal to some people perhaps>

Here are the detailed breakdowns of the battery stats, at the end of the day its best to fully upgrade to level4 obviously. Battery2 is a nice choice for bigger hulls if you haven't got lvl4's yet (fast charge rate - low cost). Level1 batteries can still be useful especially if your ship almost full with just a few single pods left.

battery1 (one pod)
mass=2
charge rate=2
cost=20,10,5
max charge=10

battery2 (two pods)
mass=4
charge rate=5
cost=30,15,7
max charge=15

battery3 (four pods)
mass=5
charge rate=7
cost=50,25,12
max charge=30
Adonis

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A single ion canon in a loadout can really help when dealing with a cloud of weak enemy ships or mines.

No alt fire means that they can still be firing when you charge your blasters -- which I like because they don't run out, and I have enough batteries to fire constantly - and have plenty left over for shields.

I've found that you can also quite easily kill enemies off the screen with blasters and/or ion cannons (as long as you're sitting still) so your "before I can see them" argument for plasma torpedoes is covered too. Razz
WolfJaguar

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balancing issues come into play as well. With the Ions being so godlike, with a charged energy wave from them would probably decimate an entire sector Smile
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: