FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
May-04: Landscape Work In Progress
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Developer Diary View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Moonpod Developer Diary RSS feed -RSS Feed
jollyreaper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool beans! What's the best guess on when you'll be ready to ship, still a year or two out? Smile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's still really early - we've not turned that corner yet where everything feels like a game, and you can see the end of the road - so I hesitate to offer up any dates. All I can say is - as soon as we know - so will everyone here Very Happy
Beanstalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding download size: I know from my own experience what a pain in the backside downloads larger then 15MB are with a modem.
However, I also have access to at least 3 locations where I can DL something and burn it on CD. Id also happily buy a gaming-mag with Battlescape on the mag-CD (By the way, have you looked into "distributing" the full version of Battlescape via a gaming mag?)

What Im trying to say is, please dont make it 15MB or bust. If it can be done with a reasonable amount of effort, my suggestion would be to make prototypes with 15, 20 and 30 MB size, and then compare them side-by-side, and then select the version with the most bang for your download buck. FOr that matter, why not offer upgrade packages for those who have the bandwidth?
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experimenting with download sizes side by side seems like a good idea. Although I wouldn't mind downloading smaller chunks of a demo.

On a related note coming from the other thread about fileplanet and those kind of places. I'm starting to get discouraged that some of them don't support programs to resume downloads cut off in the middle. I'm a big fan of Getright, that is, when I'm allowed to use it heh.

Just curious why some of those sites can't or won't support resuming.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Dallas wrote:
Just curious why some of those sites can't or won't support resuming.

GetRight (and most other download managers) has a way to create multiple connections to a server, so people with high bandwidth connections can make the most of them. This in turn tends to screw over the server, so most of the big sites these days block them. Of course the only people who lose out are the modem users -as always.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding download size: it doesn't seem to have been a major problem when Starscape was 40 meg, however we don't see any reason for people to be downloading data unnecessarily when we could put a bit more effort into compression.

It sounds like most people are worried they might end up with lower quality data because we are trying to reduce download size. This isn't the case, and if is, then we will provide links to the higher quality data from the customer panel (as with the current music download pack)
ZWing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Question? Reply with quote

Will Battlescape have aerial battles? If yes, can I suggest something like how Total Annihilation handled air combat to be applied in your game? It was such fun to watch planes fight like planes instead of being flying tanks in a lot of games I can point my finger at. A nice physics engine would be great Smile

About d/l size, I come from a country where a 128kbps D/L Capped DSL costs more per month than a T1 connection in the US. Even dialup is seriously handycapped. But it wont stop me from d/loading Battlescape as long as it is under 100MB. The addon method is also great. Add a couple of hi-res tex packs, music packs and walla!

Also, about Beta testing, I am willing to volunteer. I have experiece in Beta testing incl. Jumpgate, EVE, and a bunch of other MMO games.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a fan of "proper" planes, so it's highly likely something similar will be included.

p.s. Everyone who has bought Starscape (like you) and lets us email them will be in with a chance of joining future beta tests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Developer Diary All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: